Wildernest Replacement and Restoration

Kstallcup84

Hello all. We recently bought a Wildernest that is mounted on a pickup service body trailer. We are planning to replace the tent material as it is pretty old and brittle, and certainly not water proof. So far I have 2 questions (the first of many I’m sure), that I’m hoping to get some feedback on from experienced nesters:

1) Canvas Replacements and Bear Creek are the 2 companies that we have found that do tent replacements for nests. Any experience with these guys on this type of project? Quality, fit, etc. Will the new nest be waterproof? I am going to call these companies today but it’s nice to get feedback from customers.
2) The bulb seal for the top is gone. The one most folks recommended was UniGrip 124. Well.... they don’t make this product anymore so I’m looking for another option.

Thanks!

agamble

I too am looking for a replacement for the bulb seal. The UniGrip catalog has seal, SD-503, with measurements that are quite similar.

PTL-124
PTL-124.png

vs

SD-503
SD-503.png

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The PTL-124 is what I've used. It's been some time, though. My most recent Uni-grip catalog is 2017 and it's still listed. But that doesn't mean anything.

The original material is 8 ounce urethane-coated nylon packcloth. My experience is pop-up camper replacement shops tend to use a heavier Sunbrella acrylic canvas and I wouldn't go any heavier than what WilderNest used originally. Since I wanted that or even something lighter (like a 420d coated packcloth) they weren't sure their machines would sew it without tearing.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
When I did my restoration, I got tired of searching for the right one, so I got my trim and bulb seals off of a panel van at a local pick and pull. I just went with something similar to the original, and it worked perfectly. Cost me a whopping $5, as opposed to somewhere in the neighborhood of $100.

IMG_2293.JPG

lightnfast

When I did my restoration, I got tired of searching for the right one, so I got my trim and bulb seals off of a panel van at a local pick and pull. I just went with something similar to the original, and it worked perfectly. Cost me a whopping $5, as opposed to somewhere in the neighborhood of $100.

Nick do you have any more info (part number, shop, etc) where you got the seal? Waiting on a new tent and doing some rehab in the meantime.

lightnfast

Another question - I'm having the tent done by Canvas Replacements, and it will be...you guessed it, canvas. Anyone have experience with waterproofing canvas tents? I'd imagine this thing will weigh a ton more? I may see if they could use 400/420Dish nylon packcloth (isn't that what they used originally) if I can find it in something other than black, and see how much if any that would add to the cost, but for the money I want this thing to keep my dry for many summers. Thanks.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Another question - I'm having the tent done by Canvas Replacements, and it will be...you guessed it, canvas. Anyone have experience with waterproofing canvas tents? I'd imagine this thing will weigh a ton more? I may see if they could use 400/420Dish nylon packcloth (isn't that what they used originally) if I can find it in something other than black, and see how much if any that would add to the cost, but for the money I want this thing to keep my dry for many summers. Thanks.
Canvas seems like it would be awful heavy and bulky for the purpose. I wonder how well it will pack up and how quickly it might dry or retain its shape long term. The frames aren't really all that substantial.

I'd have my doubt in particular that the fiberglass tension poles could support wet canvas and I think canvas needs good support when it swells and tightens to stay water resistant. Maybe there's a way to redo the frame to work better with canvas?

Does probably kind of depends on what you use, canvas could be 10 ounce or could be 16 ounce or more. The cloth WilderNest used originally was 8 ounce urethane coated nylon pack cloth but I don't know exactly what denier it was, but I imagine 400d is probably at least similar or better.

Last edited:

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Nick do you have any more info (part number, shop, etc) where you got the seal? Waiting on a new tent and doing some rehab in the meantime.

Just went to a local pick and pull with a section of the original and matched it up to what I remember being an old ford van's door seals. Ended up working put perfectly. Good luck with the build.

Simplyjilly

Hi LightNFast - curious if you ended up going with Canvas Replacements on your tent? Thanks, Jill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles