Wilderness Rack

Bergger

Explorer
Just looking for opinion here. I have an opportunity to get a 48"x60" wilderness rack with highlift and shovel/axe accessories for an extremely good price from my buddy. I have been looking for a cargo basket to put on the roof of my double cab and am leaning towards buying this rack. It appears very strong and of good quality. The rack is less than a year old. It'd be mounted to my yakima cross bars and I probably would only mount it during the summer and fall months when I'd be doing my camping and off roading. I guess my question is, do you all think a 60" rack would be too long on the roof of a double cab? Has anyone ever put a basket that large on the roof of a double cab? I'll probably just put it up there and see what it looks like but I wanted to get your thoughts and experienced opinions.

thanks

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Thats a pretty big rack. I have a 44x52x4 Wilderness Rack mounted on the Snug Top shell of my DC and I really like it. Looking at my setup, I can see that a 48x60 rack would fit if the front part of the rack extended over the cab a couple of inches. That would be OK, but the 2 extra inches of width on each side would extend a little wider than the shell top and that would be my area of concern. I think it will work though unless you actually mean to put it on the cab roof of the DC, then I would say no way.
Although the angle is not good I am attaching pix of my truck so you can see the rack.
BX
Edit: I found your home page and see no shell on your DC, so I would think the rack would be way too big to mount on the truck cab. I would go with the Thule basket (44" L x 39" W x 6.5" H) if mounting to truck cab.

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 71
  • L_hual068.jpg
    L_hual068.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Take it. If you can't figure out a way to make it work, I'll buy it from you.

I think it would be big, but you could always start it at the front of the roof and find a way to support any over hang into the bed area. If you are running a cap (I seem to remember that you are not) than mount it as far aft as possibe and support it as far forward as necessary. I'm thinking of a theme and variation of Urisade69 and DesertDude's setup.

Bergger

Explorer
Well I ended up not getting the rack. It was a little big but it still would have worked okay. However, the stealership actually wanted him to keep it on his truck and offered him a good deal more on his trade in if he did so. He still offered me the rack but I told him to take the extra money they offered. He is trading in his Hummer H3 for an 06 Tacoma Dbl Cab, his first Toyota. I told him he's gonna be hooked for life now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94