WiFi booster for Mac

Darwin

Explorer
Hello, I am about to embark on a 6 month journey through Mexico and Central America. I will be taking my 2014 Macbook air with me and would a way to catch free wife from a distance. Nothing too crazy, but I think it would come in handy for this trip. Adventures in skyhorse commented on taking an Alfa brand wifi booster and seemed to like it. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that will work with a 2014 Macbook air? The Alfa's I have seen on Amazon run about 50 bucks and look like they would do the job, but I am not clear if they work with my Mac.

Thank you,
Happy travels.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Hello, I am about to embark on a 6 month journey through Mexico and Central America. I will be taking my 2014 Macbook air with me and would a way to catch free wife from a distance. Nothing too crazy, but I think it would come in handy for this trip. Adventures in skyhorse commented on taking an Alfa brand wifi booster and seemed to like it. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that will work with a 2014 Macbook air? The Alfa's I have seen on Amazon run about 50 bucks and look like they would do the job, but I am not clear if they work with my Mac.

Not sure such a thing as a "free wife" exists !!!! ;-)

Chris Boyd

Explorer
You'd be better off with an external router that supports being a client on wifi. Linksys made one called the travel router. IIRC, you could hook up an external antenna. Look around for CanTenna. You can make one, even.

The Mac has a really good internal antenna, but no way to hook up an external antenna to it.

(Or the Usb thing on the Amazon link; hadn't look at it before it commented) anything you can hook an external antenna to will work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior