Wife needs indoor accommodations....what is worth buying?

rehammer81

Kimberley is made in Australia near Brisbane, not Chinese made either
Yes they are and also priced accordingly in yet an even higher tier. I think the Kimberley trailers look great. Would have loved to have been able to buy your old Kamper just recently. The new Kampers are as expensive as the MDC caravans. I got the U.S. price list and brochure from the new U.S. rep a few weeks ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MDC USA

I much appreciate your feedback on this topic. I think it would be great if you broke this down in a very open and honest manner in the MDC thread specifically. It might help your trust and growth in the U.S. market. I'm sure there are others like myself that are looking for very capable trailers but question the quality of what appear to be mix and match Mr. Potato Head Chinese trailers with a different Australian company name plastered on the side. It reminds me very much of the roof-top-tent market. When you look at MDC, BS, Opus, Lotus, Zone, etc, you can't help but notice how similar and/or damn near identical these trailers are. The suspension look like they are the identical components coming straight off the same manufacturing line. We have all seen the horror stories from some BS owners, probably the most popular of this group of trailers in the U.S. MDC is not as popular yet but I'm sure people see the similarities to BS and get scared off. Especially at that price point.

So how can you address this? If it was my company, I would try to put as much info as possible out there on my website where it is easy to find and try to be as transparent as possible. Provide a thorough walk through of materials used and the build process. Lots of pictures and a detailed video. Airstream and some of the fiberglass trailer manufacturers, like Oliver, have some great build process videos that show attention to detail. If you did this you would differentiate yourself from the Chinese crap connotation. Then it would be up to you to keep up the quality and most importantly, provide unparalleled customer service when issues arise as they most assuredly will. That is another bad rep BS has gotten in the U.S. that I have seen.

I myself am interested in possibly one of Jackson Forward Fold as an intermediate trailer until I can afford a caravan. I do have my reservations on what I'm actually getting quality wise for my money. I'll pay for capability and quality but I don't like getting burned obviously.

@rehammer81 All good suggestions!
As you said there's no advantage to trying to hide things and I really like the idea of doing a build video.
Customer service is our #1 priority, we have a full team setup just to handle any concerns customers might have and a full inventory of service parts in stock in the US.
I'll start adding more to our introduction thread as we get pics and videos created to show how we do what we do and how we do it.

When you're ready for that Jackson let me know as I have the first 8 of the 2021 models headed this way ;)

RyanM3

@rehammer81 All good suggestions!
As you said there's no advantage to trying to hide things and I really like the idea of doing a build video.
Customer service is our #1 priority, we have a full team setup just to handle any concerns customers might have and a full inventory of service parts in stock in the US.
I'll start adding more to our introduction thread as we get pics and videos created to show how we do what we do and how we do it.

When you're ready for that Jackson let me know as I have the first 8 of the 2021 models headed this way ;)
MDC a build video would be great to learn what separates you from those similar looking trailers like the Black Series. I remember seeing a couple of MDC Explorer Camper Trailers at a show in Costa Mesa, CA earlier this year and they looked really nice. Unfortunately, my wife also requires a bath/shower which drastically limits our options. Great thread and will be reviewing the suggestions posted here. I really like the Kimberley Karavan, but not sure I want to invest that much money in my first "RV" -- we shall see =)

Kimberley Kampers, Karavans, and Kruisers are all manufactured in Australia. Kimberley now has a U.S. distributor. I recently sold my Conqueror 490 and plan to finalize an order for a Kimberly S3 EcoSuite Kruiser. Very expensive, but for me, the combination of quality, design, offroad capability, and comfort makes this the right rig for me. There's an article published in March in Expedition Portal in the Camper and Trailer section about Kimberley coming to the U.S.

rehammer81

Kimberley Kampers, Karavans, and Kruisers are all manufactured in Australia. Kimberley now has a U.S. distributor. I recently sold my Conqueror 490 and plan to finalize an order for a Kimberly S3 EcoSuite Kruiser. Very expensive, but for me, the combination of quality, design, offroad capability, and comfort makes this the right rig for me. There's an article published in March in Expedition Portal in the Camper and Trailer section about Kimberley coming to the U.S.
The Kimberley trailers are awesome. I have no questions about their Australian heritage and durability. They are sweet! If I could afford one I would have one.

Romer

Adventurer

Yup
1.JPG
2.JPG

Jerrick

donthompson - what was your thoughts on the Conqueror 490? We're a family of 4 and are thinking of trying to grab one of these but we have two major concerns:
1) Setup time
2) Outdoor shower/bathroom situation (wife driven but this is a must with anything we get)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
donthompson - what was your thoughts on the Conqueror 490? We're a family of 4 and are thinking of trying to grab one of these but we have two major concerns:
1) Setup time
2) Outdoor shower/bathroom situation (wife driven but this is a must with anything we get)
@Dendy Jarrett had a fancy Conqueror at one time before he went Airstream. It was super cool but did take quite a while to set up. It was him, Holly, and the two youngins in that.

I had a Conqueror Compact back then. Made me swear-off canvas on any future trailers....

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Oh I know, I lived full time in a “brand new” 42’ ******* box for 5 years lol..

Our Casita is built amazingly with it’s full fiberglass hull.

The only trailer I could ever see replacing it with is an Oliver, either their 18’ or 23’. I’ve been in them, and they are (IMO pretty experienced opinion) the best built trailer in the industry. I can’t think of a single trailer I would consider close..

The Casita is like the 4runner. The affordable, bulletproof, jack of all trades.. The Oliver is like a brand new land cruiser..

When we considered getting a trailer, the Casita was a finalist, they do a great build and nice price point.

1) Setup time
The Conqueror was a great camper, but you’ve identified the two issues I had. I’m 71 and a solo camper 99% of the time and setting up was an issue. I could do it, but it took more time for a solo traveler than I liked. The outdoor shower/bathroom wasn’t a hug deal because I liked to camp in areas where I had lots of privacy. Bought a Nemo shower/bathroom tent and a Nemo shower that I filled with hot water using the outdoor shower if I was camped somewhere without enough privacy. I’ve ordered a Kimberley S3 EcoSuite Kruiser. Manufactured in Australia with a U.S. distributor. Offroad capabilities combined with more luxury than I had in an Oliver Elite II that I traveled in for 4 years.

When we considered getting a trailer, the Casita was a finalist, they do a great build and nice price point.
Oh I know, I lived full time in a “brand new” 42’ ******* box for 5 years lol..

Our Casita is built amazingly with it’s full fiberglass hull.

The only trailer I could ever see replacing it with is an Oliver, either their 18’ or 23’. I’ve been in them, and they are (IMO pretty experienced opinion) the best built trailer in the industry. I can’t think of a single trailer I would consider close..

The Casita is like the 4runner. The affordable, bulletproof, jack of all trades.. The Oliver is like a brand new land cruiser..
I owned an Oliver Elite II for 4-years. Great camper. Truly a four-season camper. Absolutely loved it, but it’s not an off-road camper. They hold their value very well. Bought mine for around $61,500 and sold it 4-years later for $58,000. Love the Casita as well. I see lots of them on the road that are over 10-15 years old. Loyal owners.

TomInOregon

Just some input on the Conqueror 490...You can get walls for the shower side awning to enclose the shower and bathroom area with no gaps. Add a cassette toilet and propane heater and, while it's not indoors, it's definitely not outdoors. You can throw down a rug, too if you want. Same for the cooking side.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles