Wife doesn’t want to camp with RTT anymore

dtm67

Hello, we own a Turtleback expedition trailer with 23Zero RTT. We’ve camped a bunch with it and love the setup in general. However my wife has grown weary of the ladder for late night “visits to the forest”.

I’m considering buying a ground tent like the oztent that can handle a cot and has decent room. Has anyone else made this switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtm67

I've done that very switch. Lots of my thoughts on this topic can be read here: https://overlandtested.com/gear/ground-tent-vs-rtt

Since writing that article our setup has changed as such:
- Bought a FSR Overlander trailer w/ the FSR M60 Adventure RTT
- Sold the OZ Tent RV4
- Sold the FSR trailer + tent
- Bought a Rockwood 1640ESP tent trailer
- Sold the Rockwood
- Bought an AluCab RTT to go on top of the vehicle

I really need to write a follow up to that article above, but the long & short of it:

- Still love the convenience of a quality, quick-to-setup RTT and no trailer.
- I understand that this tent will not be practical for winter camping, and do not intend to use it in winter months.
- I regret selling the last RV4, as it would be fantastic for winter camping.

Just read your article and found it very helpful. Appreciate you sharing it.

Since we like the Turtleback trailer a lot (for its storage, large water tank and awesome kitchen, among other things) we don’t want to sell it. But I also think selling the 23Zero RTT while keeping the trailer would really hurt resale value when the time comes.

So maybe the thing to do is bite the bullet and buy something like an Oztent. Especially since we like to cold weather camp and I liked what you wrote about is capabilities to do so.

I’m looking hard at the Darche Air Volution tent. It packs up much smaller and lighter than the Oztent. But hard to find here in the US.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
We moved from a RRT to an RV-5 with screened/walled porch for some of the same reasons. I kept the porta john in the screen porch area for those night visits and she liked it a great deal more. During the colder weather I'd keep a Heater Buddy in the porch area and when I got up would turn it on to heat the tent and porch area that way it was nice and warm for her when she got up. Eventually moved to a Black forest tent for speed, weight and convenience and then to our Tiger. Good luck!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I prefer a ground tent. It's hot and humid in East Texas. We string up a big tarp and pitch our tents under it. That way you can skip the rain fly and still have good air flow.

I guess you could use an awning with enclosure like ARB if you want to be "vehicle based" I like to be able to throw my setup in the boat and camp on the river too...

St8ton

I've been down this road before. Like the others, I've had most all of the methods of sleep systems available. RTT, Ground Tent, Hardhsell/Softshell, Camper.
Currently I've got the option of an Oztent RV5 (love it), Gazelle T4 (on the fence) and a Runaway Venturist Camper. My wife loves the ability to throw open a door at night and safely exit the camper...it's our GoTo for camping together. Solo it varies.
Rub0RR6m.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Wife's been using this for over 12 years. RTT (Conqueror) first and now the teardrop.

plh

Explorer
Yep, wife didn't like the RTT for the same reason, and I didn't like closing it up on top of the truck, I'm short and getting older, truck is tall. Sold the RTT. Bought a pickup and built a GFC type wedge. Much better. Considerably easier to get in and out of. Take down is no more than 2 minutes. At some point in the next few years I'll build out a Sprinter.

dtm67

While I like the idea of the oztent RV5 it is very long when stowed and looks difficult to store. I really like the idea of the Darche AT4 inflatable tent. Without traditional poles it stows in half the size. Anyone with any similar tent ideas?

Cecald

While I like the idea of the oztent RV5 it is very long when stowed and looks difficult to store. I really like the idea of the Darche AT4 inflatable tent. Without traditional poles it stows in half the size. Anyone with any similar tent ideas?

I found a vango tent (uk based company) on Amazon for a good price a while back. Their US availability is hit or miss. Loads of standing room (and gobs of room in general). Frankly too big to fit in a standard state or national park campsite though they make smaller models (I have a 600 which basically means for six people).

Set up is pretty easy in my opinion. Stake it out, and inflate the beams which goes quickly. Supposedly a warm tent in warmer weather, and though I haven’t tested it, I believe that. It’s about 40lbs and folds up into a very reasonable size.

Just a suggestion for those interested in having more room. I’m 6’ and have plenty of head room inside even standing.

ZMagic97

Explorer
My wife doesn't like the RTT idea due to height.

We pretty much just gone with a Coleman tent and sleeping bags. I have air mattresses as well. It's simple, but works. But I do miss the mattress padding of an RTT.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I was told that the RRT was originally an African thing and because of the possibility of being face to face with some very hungry animals it became popular. Here it is more for convenience. I had one and now use an OZ tent or just sleep in the Rover if I go out by myself. It won't fit on top and go in the garage, not good to leave the vehicle in the open at night here, as there are some extremely light fingered souls around.

moose545

I've done that very switch. Lots of my thoughts on this topic can be read here: https://overlandtested.com/gear/ground-tent-vs-rtt

Since writing that article our setup has changed as such:
- Bought a FSR Overlander trailer w/ the FSR M60 Adventure RTT
- Sold the OZ Tent RV4
- Sold the FSR trailer + tent
- Bought a Rockwood 1640ESP tent trailer
- Sold the Rockwood
- Bought an AluCab RTT to go on top of the vehicle

I really need to write a follow up to that article above, but the long & short of it:

- Still love the convenience of a quality, quick-to-setup RTT and no trailer.
- I understand that this tent will not be practical for winter camping, and do not intend to use it in winter months.
- I regret selling the last RV4, as it would be fantastic for winter camping.

How does the Alucab mattress compare to the 23Zero you had? I had a 23Zero and loved it, except the setup and tear down. Bought a Autohome and it was marvelously comfortable, but I'm switching to a aluminum body to mount an awning and accessories to; leaning to Bush Co. or the Alucab, but mattress is a main concern for me since I have to deal with lovely back pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles