wife became a vegetarian

craig333

Expedition Leader
Great thread. While I'm not trying to become a vegetarian I am trying to minimize my meat consumption, eat more fruits and veggies etc. Some things were easy like eliminating milk (subsituted almond milk) other are harder. Give up cheese? I wish I knew someone that could show me the ropes. Never been a great cook.

Happykamper

Explorer
Hilldweller yep that's a great article, high in meats and salt . "Salt " I use very little . But it says low in veg and fruits. It's a balanced diet that keeps one healthy. No extremes . That's only making my point. By the way why don't you look at all sides. An article like this if read more then once would be looked upon as very biased. No healthy right minded person would eat a predomantly red meat diet. Leaving out vegetables fruits grains etc...
That's what's wrong with weak people with weak minds. When they can't win the argument they throw out stupid numbers and facts that only make them look more foolish.
A balanced diet of food groups ....and sorry pal your 10 snickers bars a day and protein trail bars aren't in that group will give you a long healthy life.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Great thread. While I'm not trying to become a vegetarian I am trying to minimize my meat consumption, eat more fruits and veggies etc. Some things were easy like eliminating milk (subsituted almond milk) other are harder. Give up cheese? I wish I knew someone that could show me the ropes. Never been a great cook.

Blue Apron is a pretty good way to try some techniques and different foods. Pretty reasonable for the amount of food and deliciousness.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hilldweller yep that's a great article, high in meats and salt . "Salt " I use very little . But it says low in veg and fruits. It's a balanced diet that keeps one healthy. No extremes . That's only making my point. By the way why don't you look at all sides. An article like this if read more then once would be looked upon as very biased. No healthy right minded person would eat a predomantly red meat diet. Leaving out vegetables fruits grains etc...
That's what's wrong with weak people with weak minds. When they can't win the argument they throw out stupid numbers and facts that only make them look more foolish.
A balanced diet of food groups ....and sorry pal your 10 snickers bars a day and protein trail bars aren't in that group will give you a long healthy life.
You don't know my background. I was saying what you're saying a few years ago.
Had a bodyfat under 10%, went to the gym at least once a day ---- I have a full gym in the house so one workout is usually there.
On the day of my big MI, my total cholesterol was 127.
I was eating a diet that most athletes follow. Lean meats, mostly poultry, lots of fat-free milk products. Lots of whole grains. Basically, if you couldn't look at the plate and tell what every ingredient was by sight, I didn't eat it.
Which led to a very slow long-term build-up of plaque and calcium on my blood vessel walls. Blood acidosis caused by the ph of the animal proteins.

If your body is damaged like mine was, the only remedy was to switch to a completely plant-based diet. It is fixing things for me.
If you're young and healthy, you'll avoid diseases of affluence if you eat minimal animal proteins, especially milk, and eat mostly whole foods, plants.
But most people don't need to become vegan ----- but it can and will benefit anybody's health.

This is me with Dorian Yates after a back workout. Did I look fat and lazy?
I was 265# back then --- can only carry 245 now. Not bad for 6 heart attacks and cancer...

Scan_Pic0002.jpg

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
When I went to the police academy, for a year prior I ate salads for every meal with a small amount of meat. I made the biggest bowl of salad I could and used any type of dressing I wanted. I trimmed down considerably and felt terrific. Fatty meats taste great but they are horible on your body.

do you hunt? I eat allot of deer meat, which is very lean. After eating nothing but deer, beef tastes terrible.

Clymber

Adventurer
I have no idea how this thread became active again I started it in 2016. Wife is still vegetarian I dont eat nearly as much meat as i used to but there are times a big juicy hamburger is needed

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I switched to soy milk. To me it just tastes better. It's loaded with protein compared to almond milk which is nearly devoid.
I think it's better to just cut back a bit on the red meat. For me it's all in the moderation.
Being a vegan is great for your health if you don't get carried away. You could give it a try too. I know a good site called finehealth (here) that posts lots of useful info and recipes.
The vegan diet yields 43% more bone fractures than meat eaters according to the latest research. Enjoy your favorite foods. Moderation with the meat. https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20201123/vegan-diets-tied-to-higher-bone-fracture-risk#1 That's especially concerning for women as they age.

GTI-88

My girlfriend is vegetarian and I have been changing my diet quite a bit because It is just easier to make one dish. Plenty of veggie burritos, veggie thai dishes, casseroles, soups, etc. I am also highly impressed by some of the meat substitutes now. The beyond patties and sausage are great and give me a "meat" fix when I want it

ITTOG

I always try to find ways to eat more meat. My meat eats the vegetables so I figure I get a serving of both in a ribeye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior