Wide hiking boots

Trying to get out more after my neck and back surgery. I didn’t leave the house and lived in a darkened room for over a year due to a closed head injury caused by a fall. I gained a lot of weight and now am going to try and hike and hopefully will lose weight to help with the pain in my back. My issue is I can’t seem to find a hiking boot in a size 11 4E wide. Widest I’ve found is 2E. Need a boot for ankle support. Thank you. Sorry for the long post.
I’m a 13 4E. Red Wing/Irish Setter is one solution I’ve found. New Balance is another.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
For 3 seasons of the year I've stopped using hiking boot an use trail runners instead. My son and I have wide feet and we are currently using Ultra King MT2.
My ankles cave in with those. I need the mid length. Plus the shanks not stiff enough. If my feet were 40 years younger,maybe.

aknightinak

How about customs?

I have the opposite problem---short and narrow. I remember a salesman once saying, "We only have shoes the way people's feet come---short and wide or long and narrow."

After years of poorly fitting boots, I finally got a custom set of Limmers. In 25 years of hard use with long periods of daily wear, I've needed them resoled only once and have never had them split a seam. They're spendy, comparable to a high-end mountaineering boot. And, being all leather, they tend to be a little heavy, have a significant break-in period, and require maintenance to keep them waterproof. But---they are absolutely bulletproof when it comes to support and protection. In any other shoe, I can roll an ankle on a pebble but have yet to do so in these. One took a wildly swung ax pretty squarely to the side once and barely nicked the outer layer. Best of all, I have boots that fit my feet perfectly.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Hiking shoes are the boots/shoes that you go hiking in...don't get caught up in the branding/marketing of shoes' purpose.

Check out some work boots. Lots of wide toebox boots out there that come in various ankle support lengths.

Keen makes some great boots with large toe boxes....some are relatively lightweight as well. I have a few sets of keen work boots that do double duty (work and hiking). They aren't as light as a set of Vasques, but are much more durable and just as comfortable nonetheless.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Reactions: WVI

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Keens are about the widest I've found. That's all I've worn for the last 6 years or so.
Yup...the toe box is huge. I wear a 12 4e in most shoes...but 11 or 11.5 4e in Keens. They have foot specific (right vs left) shaped box, and for safety boots (steel/Kevlar/alum toes boots), it makes a huge difference.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

WVI

Adventurer
Red Wing has a boot with the King Toe that is nice, wide and comfortable. It can be had in a non safety toe version as well.

PSea

Trying to get out more after my neck and back surgery. I didn’t leave the house and lived in a darkened room for over a year due to a closed head injury caused by a fall. I gained a lot of weight and now am going to try and hike and hopefully will lose weight to help with the pain in my back. My issue is I can’t seem to find a hiking boot in a size 11 4E wide. Widest I’ve found is 2E. Need a boot for ankle support. Thank you. Sorry for the long post.
not sure if they have 4E, but Solomon hiking boots are the most comfortable, widest boots I've ever owned...and very durable. definitely worth checking into.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
not sure if they have 4E, but Solomon hiking boots are the most comfortable, widest boots I've ever owned...and very durable. definitely worth checking into.
Salomon's are traditionally on the narrower fit UNLESS you get the wide option, which does exist in some of their boots/shoes.

Wide fits generally were found in boots from:
German
Some British
American
manufacturers, with the Italian and French tending to be narrower.

The other way is to tweek the arch of your foot; this works well if you have got a low arch, as any increase in arch height will narrower your toes as they get pulled in - can also shorten your foot as the bones aren't as splayed out as they were.

bas157

Sent Limmer a msg about the custom boots as I was curious as to cost and wait time, the reply if anyone was curious
"We are currently stating an 18-20 month delivery and the boots start at $775.00"

aknightinak

The 18-20, 24 even, month wait has always been standard, and they were pretty insistent on measuring your foot, twice, in person, but whoa. That's more than half again what mine cost. I'm feeling a little glad I got them when I did and a little "**** I'm old."

PSea

Salomon's are traditionally on the narrower fit UNLESS you get the wide option, which does exist in some of their boots/shoes.

Wide fits generally were found in boots from:
German
Some British
American
manufacturers, with the Italian and French tending to be narrower.

The other way is to tweek the arch of your foot; this works well if you have got a low arch, as any increase in arch height will narrower your toes as they get pulled in - can also shorten your foot as the bones aren't as splayed out as they were.
not my experience at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles