Whynter 12v Fridge reviews? Alpicool?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
My 65 Whynter would stop cooling if I hit a bump or slammed the tailgate in the truck. I tried to get a fix from their customer service and after sending them videos of the issue their (incorrect) conclusion was that somehow my hardwired 10AWG supply was faulty and i needed another 12V cord. This after an email back and forth that would take a couple of weeks after I replied to them. They couldn't give me any more direction to actually figure out what was wrong with it. The whole process took about 2 months from my initial contact. It's sitting in my office these days plugged into the wall as a drink fridge.

Never again...

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I've been running 2 Whynters for quite a few years and never had a problem with them. The 45q I bought used is from 2011 or earlier and is still working fine. The only issue is they're more power hungry than some of the higher priced ones.

My 65 Whynter would stop cooling if I hit a bump or slammed the tailgate in the truck. I tried to get a fix from their customer service and after sending them videos of the issue their (incorrect) conclusion was that somehow my hardwired 10AWG supply was faulty and i needed another 12V cord. This after an email back and forth that would take a couple of weeks after I replied to them. They couldn't give me any more direction to actually figure out what was wrong with it. The whole process took about 2 months from my initial contact. It's sitting in my office these days plugged into the wall as a drink fridge.

Have you checked the wiring for the power supply? I remember a few years ago some people were complaining that some of the connections weren't tightened from the factory, it's just a screw terminal connection that can work it's way loose over time. It's pretty easy to access by removing the motor compartment cover.

Reactions: SRN

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I have 2 Whynters and never had a problem with them. The only issue is they're more power hungry than some of the higher priced ones.

Have you checked the wiring for the power supply? I remember a few years ago some people were complaining that some of the connections weren't tightened from the factory, it's just a screw terminal connection that can work it's way loose over time. It's pretty easy to access by removing the motor compartment cover.

I pulled that panel and checked everything I could get my hands on. I gave up on it. Our needs have changed and I want a 35Q of some sort for day trip use.

Goatdog

Bought my Whynter in 2009. Have run almost continously on 12V, in back of various vehicles and motorhomes ever since.

I've had a smaller Alpicool for one year now and have no complaints.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wanted to resurrect this thread for anyone else searching for one of these two brands.

I recently purchased and received the alpicool 45. So far it seems well built, works very efficiently and quiet. Ran around all weekend with food and beer and it maintained 32-36 degrees with ease (at least on its own display). Over night I ran it off a battery booster, rest of our weekend I just had it plugged in to a constant on cigarette plug.

So far I’m very happy and having a fridge in the truck is a game changer. This price allowed me to give it a try with out the huge price commitment of the other fridges.

I just have to figure out a more appropriate way to power it. I don’t have any other lights and accessories, I think upgrading my battery and wiring it directly to it should do the trick for me. Most of my trips I’m driving every day. A single agm dual purpose battery in theory would be perfect for this application. Thoughts?

46A6A450-1EA3-41AB-9630-6B0A0BC5849E.jpeg

I bought this about a year ago: Whynter FM-452SG

Its been great! I do a bit of rockcrawling and I've been trying to take the family along at times. With two boys and mom its hard to bring enough stuff to camp out of the back of our 4runner. Bringing multiple coolers is not an option. By having a portable fridge I gain space and don't need to keep all the drinks cold. Mom likes the fact that she doesn't have to dig through ice and the food doesn't get soggy and wasted. I like not having to constantly look for ice and being able to pack it the day before a trip and not worry. It is not as nice as an engel, arb, snomaster, dometic, but its also half the price. I figured it was a good entry level fridge for us for now. I'll get the wife hooked on this one and hopefully we can buy a nicer one down the road.

It cools really well and freezes things no problem. The low voltage cutoff is adjustable and works well. I'm sure it draws more amps than the popular fridges and the insulation is probably not as good. It does have a simple/cheap/ruggedness to it. I have found a website selling parts for them too.

So far for the money its been a great buy.

Kevin

john61ct

Adventurer
I just have to figure out a more appropriate way to power it.
Depends on the #of hours or days between mains-overnight recharges.

And average temp delta from ambient, or better yet actually measure Ah used per 24 hours as used "normally", rounding up 30%.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I bought a 45qt Whynter in 2015 from Home Depot of all places (not sure if they still carry them). It's still going strong. Cost was around $400 if I remember correctly.
Pics from shakedown testing. Since then, I swapped the handles to some steel ones, it has gathered a lot of stickers and miles, and been in and out of 4 jeeps and a trailer, no issues.

20150506_191913.jpg

20150506_185145.jpg

SRN

Adventurer
I've had the cousin to the Whynter FM-45, the Edgestar FP430, for four years now. Not much difference between the two, different handles and latches, but that's it. Mine lives in the back of my Trooper and has been used and abused since day one and never complained. Sure its not the fanciest fridge on the market, but for the price you can buy one of these and use it till it dies, buy another one and use it till it dies and still have cash in your pocket compared to the high dollar options. And lets face it, for the vast majority of people we're just looking to get rid of the cooler and ice; and these fridges do that just fine. There is a great thread over on RME talking about peoples experiences with Edgestar fridges. One guy has been rocking his for over ten years now with minimal issues.

SRN

Adventurer
I just have to figure out a more appropriate way to power it. I don’t have any other lights and accessories, I think upgrading my battery and wiring it directly to it should do the trick for me. Most of my trips I’m driving every day. A single agm dual purpose battery in theory would be perfect for this application. Thoughts?

I installed a 12v outlet in the back of my Trooper next to where the fridge lives and wired it to my battery (through a secondary fuse block under the hood). That way the fridge has constant power, not just when the key is on like the cigarette lighter. All I'm running is an Optima blue-top deep cycle marine battery, works great.

bobbyinredwood

I've had a Whytner FM65 since 2008, been in the back of my truck, mounted in a basket on the front brumper on multiple trips to Baja, on and off road and this thing still runs like a champ. Incredible value compared to Engel, ARB, Dometic etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles