Why You Should Replace CB With GMRS

MidlandUSA

Supporting Sponsor
admin-ajax.jpg
Check us out on the The 4x4 Podcast! Our discussion on GMRS and MicroMobiles starts at the 37:50 mark! We discuss why we think that CBs need to be completely replaced with GMRS radios in the off-roading and overlanding scenes. Thank you to Rich, Dan and Craig for letting us come on the show!

LISTEN HERE

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I agree that everyone should agree to use GMRS and dump CBs.

Your link didn't work, maybe this one will:
http://www.the4x4podcast.com/sand-sport-super-show-midland-radios-and-mob-armor/

There is one thing to mention, there is talk about costs. GMRS has no test and requires paying the FCC a fee. There is a small test fee for amateur licensing. That is to cover the cost to the club who volunteers to give the test. Some tests are free, depends on who is giving it. Ham licenses are free to issue and renew with respect to the FCC.

Last edited:
GMRS is a lot easier then CB to get working for folks that have little understanding of radio.

The shorter wavelengths allow greater bandwidth on the same antenna, so you don't need to mess with SWR meters, tuning, etc. Also the GMRS FM signals generally sound better then AM on CB.

I agree that there is a cost of licensing, but the cost is about the same as a CB SWR meter, which you wouldn't have to buy with GMRS.

Billoftt

I would prefer GMRS over CB, but I usually end up trying to help people to get their Amateur Technician (ham) license as it affords you greater access to frequencies and much greater repeater density than GMRS.

One fear that I do have in regards to the proliferation of GMRS is non-licensed operators. I understand that unlicensed operators of the low powered_and non-repeater capable "bubble-pack" radios are very numerous and prolific, but these higher-powered and repeater-capable units may have opened a whole new level of unlicensed radio abuse that may push repeater owners to shut down and the FCC to revisit their regulations.

dreadlocks

@Billoftt they already did, 2017 they changed GMRS and FRS.. repeater input frequencies are off limits for all unlicensed radios and next year they will ban the import of all FRS radios that dont meet the new bandplan.

When in the back country I have GMRS all to my self usually, not much issue with unlicensed users until your in town.. then the local nursing home, security guards, construction workers, etc are all using em commercially against the rules.

Billoftt

...then the local nursing home, security guards, construction workers, etc are all using em commercially against the rules.

My point exactly...
I know about the recent changes the FCC made. I still have mixed emotions about them raising the power limits from .5 watts to 2 watts on FRS on channel 1-7. At least when they were illegally using them for commercial use they only could be heard for 200 feet.

Fun Fact: The FCC used to issue GMRS licenses to businesses, organizations, government entities, etc... up until July 31, 1987 when they restricted it to individuals and families and grandfathered previous license holders. There is a Kimberly Clark plant near where I live that is one of those grandfathered license holders that was operating what I thought was a rogue repeater.

Billoftt

For the record, I think GMRS is a EXCELLENT choice to step forward away from CBs. AM is significantly more finicky than FM to get working right and is more prone to interference. Also, to get a 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave antenna working properly, you still need (λ*0.28)*vf of ground plane, so about 7 inches for GMRS and 9.5 feet for CB.

dreadlocks

one of my favorite uses of GMRS is backing the rig up.. hand a radio to my wife and I can blindly back it up a mile down twisty roads and squeeze it through tight spots, all without getting a divorce afterwords.

the handheld batteries were dead last time I hadda reverse it into the back yard, my gate has about +2in on trailer so its a tight fit.. Wife suggested we just use our cell phones, so I gave it a try and it sucked.. that half a second delay is just enough time to mess stuff up and my trailer is all cockeyed as a result.

Billoftt

Hey, MidlandUSA, I don't know if you check these boards much, but I have a recommendation for future products. Replace the SO-239 on the radio unit with a female SMA connector and replace the PL-259 on the RG-174 with a male SMA connector. Not only should your RF engineers be able to explain why those connectors would be more appropriate for the 462MHZ range, an SMA connector would be significantly easier to deal with when installing your products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne