Why SO many used late model RAM 2500s available?

dstefan

Looking around for a full size, maybe HD, truck for pop-up shell/camper. I noticed on Autotrader today there literally hundreds of used, 2019, 4x4, gas, RAM 2500s for sale in Phoenix. They are typically under 10k miles, and mostly at dealers. Do they have so many problems people are turning them in in droves? Mpg disillusionment? Something else? Seems weird, and haven’t noticed the same phenomenon with Super Duties, or Tundras, which I’ve also been looking at.

Any ideas? Are these good deals for the right price?

PaxG56

As the owner of a 2500 I wouldn't consider a gas Ram if you plan to haul 1k+ in the bed full time. My recommendation would be diesel and a 3500 but there are certainly people that have done it with gas 2500s. I wouldn't expect better than single digit mpg unless the bed is empty and you don't have a trailer.

Dont they have bad tranny problems? I also heard the recall of the tranny fix caused more problems.
IDK they are very sharp trucks though!

RCP

Looking around for a full size, maybe HD, truck for pop-up shell/camper. I noticed on Autotrader today there literally hundreds of used, 2019, 4x4, gas, RAM 2500s for sale in Phoenix. They are typically under 10k miles, and mostly at dealers. Do they have so many problems people are turning them in in droves? Mpg disillusionment? Something else? Seems weird, and haven’t noticed the same phenomenon with Super Duties, or Tundras, which I’ve also been looking at.

Any ideas? Are these good deals for the right price?

I could see the MPG disillusionment being a factor. It took some getting used to when I got my first Power Wagon. I traded my 2016 in for a 2018 2dr Jeep Wrangler due to some significant life changes but found my way right back into a 2018 Power Wagon less than a year. Currently with my truck I am getting 13 MPG combined, sitting on 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and a leer topper installed.

Between the two trucks I have done about 75k miles with zero issues, only trips to the dealership were oil changes and scheduled maintenance. No problems with the transmission or anything else in the driveline.

Love the interior for long trips, has enough power to comfortably tow my trailer, more capable off road than I am and I think its one of the better looking trucks on the market.

js9234

Observer
The 2019 Ram Ram 2500 and newer have the new 8 spd transmission in it and is one of the best out there. The Rams are the best bang for the buck for a 250/2500 truck. Can't go wrong with any of the new gas 250/2500's. Pick one with the best price and lowest miles and go for it. Drive them all and see what you like best. And their probably isn't anymore Rams than the others for sale. Just the way it's posted or something like that. Or just go buy a new Power Wagon or Tremor :)

Mike W.

Repos and people walking away. Checked with Manheim auto actions and they are overwhelmed with higher end vehicles people let go due to the economy.

STREGA

Explorer
I’ve been looking at Power Wagons on autotrader and have seen about a dozen used 2019’s that were rentals units. All were standard equipt and the only option was tube side steps, none had the winch hook installed and could not tell by the pics if there was even a winch on the truck. Mileage was between 12-20k and most were from Utah. I wonder if these are from the rental company that went bankrupt recently, can’t remember who that was.

dstefan

Repos and people walking away. Checked with Manheim auto actions and they are overwhelmed with higher end vehicles people let go due to the economy.
I was wondering if we’d start to see this happening sometime soon. Makes sense as many of them are just 3, 4, or 5K miles. Too new really to be having much trouble. They sure are listing for high prices. The ones I saw in Phoenix were overwhelmingly Bighorns.

And their probably isn't anymore Rams than the others for sale. Just the way it's posted or something like that.
Yeah, thought that maybe too, so I searched Super Duties and Tundras with similar specs and they aren’t there in anywhere near the same numbers. Maybe the Rams are a result of the more aggressive marketing? Could be some companies in Phoenix dumped a bunch?

It’ll be interesting to see if other brands/models pop-up in big numbers

Axlesup

chrysler is well known for approving loans on their new cars to people that no other dealer would finance. they say the subprime market and the jeep namesake is the only thing keeping them in business. Been that way for years.

they also have the best price point/bang for the buck on 2500s especially the power wagon.

between these two things your going to see a lot of repos and fleet trucks on the market compared to GM and Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles