Why SO many used late model RAM 2500s available?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Not true, ford undercuts everyone on fleet sales, I buy goverment fleet vehicles as part of my job. You see allot of goverment vehicles that are made by ford, it’s because they are cheap. I drive a 2017 f150 for my work vehicle, it was 15k new, ram was in the low 20’s next to gm, so lowest bid gets the sale.
I am talking about private business fleet sales.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Ford has done away with the fleet pin number discount so I have been told. Regardless Ram is cheaper to buy, but long term the hemi gas motor would be my 3rd choice out of the big 3. Neigbor sales 3/4 and 1 ton used trucks for a living, mostly high mileage units, he says the hemi motors don't last.

Our Dodges are diesel. Well over $100,000 trucks. Ouch.

Our customers are still having fleet issues with the hemi's in Rams and Chargers. Literally a dozen brand new crate hemi's stacked up at the garages front door.

phsycle

Adventurer
Not true, ford undercuts everyone on fleet sales, I buy goverment fleet vehicles as part of my job. You see allot of goverment vehicles that are made by ford, it’s because they are cheap. I drive a 2017 f150 for my work vehicle, it was 15k new, ram was in the low 20’s next to gm, so lowest bid gets the sale.

If I know someone in that line of business, how hard would it be to have them order an extra truck for me to buy? Or is that against regulations? I’d love a stripped F150/250.

NightGlow

As the owner of a 2500 I wouldn't consider a gas Ram if you plan to haul 1k+ in the bed full time. My recommendation would be diesel and a 3500 but there are certainly people that have done it with gas 2500s. I wouldn't expect better than single digit mpg unless the bed is empty and you don't have a trailer.
I purchased a new RAM 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and the new HD ZF 8 speed transmission. In Colorado, I have been getting better than 17mpg highway (72-74 mph on I -25) but only about 12/13 city when in Denver. I just purchased a Hallmark Everest (2200# wet) and took it on a 400 mile round trip into the Colorado mountains and after returning home averaged 12.5 mpg. This trip included highway (60%) over two mountain passes and 20-30 miles off-road forest and 4x4 trails and the rest city-ish type driving. The truck did great and never struggled for power even climbing steep passes with 7% grade at highway speed.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
We have two Hemi Ram 1500 trucks in our fleet with close to 300,000 kms / 187,000 miles on them? ?‍♂️ I figure it's all just a crap shoot.
I agree, all
If I know someone in that line of business, how hard would it be to have them order an extra truck for me to buy? Or is that against regulations? I’d love a stripped F150/250.
i have said the same thing! gov fleet prices can only be sold to a goverment agency.

Cav 3724

The agency I work for bought Rams for several years. It has been just short of a nightmare. Recall after recall after recall. Once a recall is recognized that unit is pulled offline until it is fixed. Dealers are back logged with recalls and can or will only take so many recall vehicles at a time. Some trucks are on their 5th or 6th recall. They just don't seem as durable as ford or Chevy. But on the flip side some of our Rams never seem to have a problem. Go figure.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think every manufacture ends up with a bunch of recalls. Pick your poison. I think I've had 4 or 5 on my truck. (Ford F150)

And I've had two issue's that were mentioned on TSB's that I think should have been recalls as they are safety issues.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
My friend just returned his 2018 Ram eco diesel. This thing was more in the shop than on the road. What got him really upset was the fact that emission system was not covered under warranty. He paid thousands to clear codes...

SouthernJK

I have a 2019 Power Wagon and have yet to have a problem at 14k miles. Yet my daily car for my company is a Ford Explorer and they gave me a Ford Edge before that. I can tell you one thing for sure. I have had tons of Jeeps too, this is my second power wagon, and I can at least say Chrysler’s service getting a car fixed is A LOT better than Fords. I had a blower motor resistor got out in my Edge - they had it a week and a day (for a A/C blower motor resistor!) My new 12k mile Explorer just started pouring tranny fluid and they said it was the trans cooler. They had my car 2 1/2 weeks! Our fleet is Ford and this is the norm for the dealers around us at multiple Ford dealers. Chrysler’s service here is a lot better and that is what I watch as they are ALL going to break at some point, and I just want the best service when they do. I know this too could change state to state though.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

Be careful of this option. In Missouri in the mid 90's a large number of local government workers were able to piggyback onto their agency fleet orders and purchase a heavily discounted Ford product, It took a couple of years for the State to figure it out and realize they were missing out on a ton of tax revenue and investigated it. Everyone of the dealerships got penalized and hundreds of people that purchased the fleet priced cars got tax bills for the difference, even if they had sold the car.

phsycle

Adventurer
Be careful of this option. In Missouri in the mid 90's a large number of local government workers were able to piggyback onto their agency fleet orders and purchase a heavily discounted Ford product, It took a couple of years for the State to figure it out and realize they were missing out on a ton of tax revenue and investigated it. Everyone of the dealerships got penalized and hundreds of people that purchased the fleet priced cars got tax bills for the difference, even if they had sold the car.

Thanks. I wasn’t looking to skip out on taxes. Just wanting a good deal on a stripped truck ?

dard1324

To answer the OP's question, I can almost guarantee those low mileage gas 2019s are all former rental trucks. Budget/Avis, Enterprise, and a few others went hog wild on ordering Gladiators, Rebels, Power Wagons, and 6.4l Big Horns last year and now is the time for them to be phasing out.

FWIW, I'm in the middle of completely switching to Ram for the work trucks I purchase. Ford Transit and Superduty have been horrible for us, including the new 7.3l V8.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
To answer the OP's question, I can almost guarantee those low mileage gas 2019s are all former rental trucks. Budget/Avis, Enterprise, and a few others went hog wild on ordering Gladiators, Rebels, Power Wagons, and 6.4l Big Horns last year and now is the time for them to be phasing out.

FWIW, I'm in the middle of completely switching to Ram for the work trucks I purchase. Ford Transit and Superduty have been horrible for us, including the new 7.3l V8.
What kind of issue's have you been having with the 7.3L?

What did you have for fleet vehicles prior to the Fords? You said switching to Ram so I'm thinking it was another make?

tplane2

Yeah, you can't leave us hanging with the 7.3 issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles