Why so many negative YouTube videos about RTTs?

NMBruce

Adventurer
A RTT is just like every other piece of new equipment you buy, RTT”s just cost more than other sleeping areas. When I got mine, I knew that it might get sold for lost after a year if I didn’t like it, but so far I like it and plan to keep it. The problem I had with mine, TuffStuff replaced the tent to correct that problem. I have had 2 tents I purchased that I thought would be perfect for my needs, they where not and both where sold after a year or so for a lost.

ChaoticSqaure

I think it's a combination of unrealistic expectations and the soft sided tents which IMO are a major pain. I camped in a tent or on the ground for the first 20 years of my camping life. Recently bought an Autohome and I love it. Set up is quick, easy to find a spot, leveling isn't that hard, and I don't mind getting in and out of it. Got mine used, and not sure I'd have bought a new one. I do miss not having my roof available, but EVERYTHING is a give and take. Truck vs SUV. Trailer vs no trailer. Etc. I think people see the RTT and believe it's the best thing since sliced bread - it isn't. It doesn't solve all your problems, and may even create some others along the way. About 30% of the time I wish I had mine on a trailer, but I hate towing and need it on my roof for when I do tow my offroad buggy.

plh

Explorer
Once again everything is relative. Cool how you refer to your 05 as being old. I have a daily driver that is a 90 and my LC is a 96. I consider the 90 F Ranger to be old. I consider the 96 FZJ80 to be just broken in. To your point, yes those Monteros are spacious. ????

I live in the rust belt. Anything more than 15 years old is old.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for the good discussion. I wasn't looking for advice, but rather information. You guys really came thru with information and well considered opinion. Thank You! I'm looking for a one or two year solution, so unless I get a killer deal on a RTT I'll probably get my old tent out and find a nice cot. That will get me through.

Thanks again!
The used market for RTT's is pretty big. People buy them, run them for a season and sometimes reconsider keeping them, and then sell them at a loss. In 2020, there was a shortage of them and prices went up a lot, but things have calmed down now.

I've had a few RTT's, all soft shells. The best benefit was if you had to setup in mud or rocks, and also if you're covering a lot of distance and need to set up and tear down quickly. Other than those conditions, I prefer a ground tent, so that I can set it and then go exploring with the vehicle. I stayed for several days in Colorado last year, and leaving the tent setup in one place with all my camping gear in it was awesome. Didn't have all that weight and gear inside the vehicle while going on the trails and over the passes.

OcoeeG

I agree a RTT on a truck would not be ideal IMHO. Losing MPG, not being able to run down the river to fish, etc. would sour me on it really quick I think. BUT a RTT on a little adventure trailer is a winning combo in my opinion. WE LOVE OURS! Granted we got it for $1000 used from a buddy, might not be as stoked on it if we paid $3500. KIMG0030.JPG
For me, the trailer allows camping to be easy and stress free. Very soon the trailer will be totally dialed in and it will be a true hook up and go situation. THAT is amazing to me. The wife and 10 year old LOVE sleeping up there, they think it is so cozy and I agree no lumpy ground. So for me I like it, I think it is a great investment for our needs.
Full disclosure: we only have 2 trips and 3 night total with this set-up. BUT I LOVE IT!

Last edited:

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I agree a RTT on a truck would not be ideal IMHO. Losing MPG, not being able to run down the river to fish, etc. would sour me on it really quick I think. BUT a RTT on a little adventure trailer is a winning combo in my opinion. WE LOVE OURS! Granted we got it for $1000 used from a buddy, might not be as stoked on it if we paid $3500. View attachment 717947
For me, the trailer allows camping to be easy and stress free. Very soon the trailer will be totally dialed in and it will be a true hook up and go situation. THAT is amazing to me. The wife and 10 year old LOVE sleeping up there, they think it is so cozy and I agree no lumpy ground. So for me I like it, I think it is a great investment for our needs.
Full disclosure: we only have 2 trips and 3 night total with this set-up. BUT I LOVE IT!
Having the wife and kid(s) along on your camp trips is worth the extra pain of the folding RTT - and necessary for the sleeping room. No disrespect intended, but by that I mean the hard shell RTT's deploy and put away so much easier, plus the hard shell will far out last that cover that is so much fun to put on:rolleyes:, once it's folded up. Hard shells just don't have the room necessary for family trips,

OcoeeG

Having the wife and kid(s) along on your camp trips is worth the extra pain of the folding RTT - and necessary for the sleeping room. No disrespect intended, but by that I mean the hard shell RTT's deploy and put away so much easier, plus the hard shell will far out last that cover that is so much fun to put on:rolleyes:, once it's folded up. Hard shells just don't have the room necessary for family trips,
No disrespect taken. I don't mind putting the cover on yet. Maybe a year or 2 from now it will annoy me. What I don't get is how into speed and efficiency people are in their camp setups. I mean, we are camping after all. It is not a race, have a beverage and knock it out. So far I am not hampered by the speed/efficiency of my camping system. I guess if you are moving everyday and setting up late it could be an issue.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
No disrespect taken. I don't mind putting the cover on yet. Maybe a year or 2 from now it will annoy me. What I don't get is how into speed and efficiency people are in their camp setups. I mean, we are camping after all. It is not a race, have a beverage and knock it out. So far I am not hampered by the speed/efficiency of my camping system. I guess if you are moving everyday and setting up late it could be an issue.
Just repeating the comments that I've heard from 100% of folding RTT owners I've talked to & camped with. I've only owned a hard shell, so not speaking from experience, but did consider getting a folding one for the room and built in annex, before I got my squaredrop trailer (link in my sig). As far as speed for setup and take down, that could become an issue when group camping or during bad weather. And yes, moving your campsite everyday like on a family vacation trip gets to be a chore unless you get the whole family involved. It can become a fun activity when different responsibilities are given to everyone and satisfaction for a job well done when finished. Group activity is always more fun than doing the whole job alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles