Why so few GM Builds?

SoTxAg06

I owned a 2005 dodge 2500 for around 10 years. After that, I decided to try a Tundra which lasted about 2 years before I got rid of it. Next I had a 2010 Chevy 2500HD prior to going back to a Ram.

The Chevy had a hard time not going through front end parts running 285/70R17 tires. I got it with around 100K and got rid of it a little over 2 years and 36K later. In that time I upgraded the upper control arms to kryptonite arms, replaced the TREs, sway bar end links, both front hubs, the driver side cv shaft, and leaking seals on the axle housing. When I got rid of it one of the hubs was starting to make noise again, the steering needed addressed, and the lower ball joints needed to be changed. Besides that, I had electrical issues starting with the truck.

At this point, I would be hard pressed to go back to a Chevy/GMC. My search for a new truck was between a F250 and Ram 2500 because I wanted solid axles and slightly larger cab space, which limited me to those two options. I would possibly consider Chevy/GMC if they redid their heavy truck suspensions, and went back to a SFA, but I won’t hold my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grassland

A stock Crosstrek XV on good tires will do 90% of what 90% of people on this forum want to do. It's just that most people don't want one, or want something else.
If the Crosstrek wasn't so woefully under powered, it would have made the short list for my wife. The old Outback Sports based on the Imprezza had a better power to weight ratio. I had one briefly. Fun to drive.

A key point brought up for less GMs being used for overland/off road is: Rust. And its not just a GM killer. Depending where you are, winter, snow, ice, and various forms of salt or ice melter is used, and it puts vehicles in the grave fast. So does cheap credit for new vehicles and excessively high repair costs for people who can't do their own repairs.

And for the newer vehicles like 2007.5-2013, and to a lesser extent 2014-1018, is SQUARE ************** WHEEL WELLS.
Literally any domestic or import full size with round wheel wells can fit a larger tire with a 1.5-2" front lift than the comparable GM product. Guys struggling to fit larger than 285/70R17 on a 1500 GM depending on offset etc when Rams and Fords can roll on 35s if they play the offset game correctly.
GM can make some fine transverse V6 motors and great V8s. And if you follow the loss leader trims, you can get a quality half ton truck for a great deal (They had a trim called "Custom" here, Double cab, 4x4, V8, locker, tow package, backup camera, power windows locks cruise and handsfree, 20" wheels and body coloured moldings and bumpers, $30,000)

But, its fun to be different. I know two guys that rock crawled late 90s early 2000s chevy blazers. One got SAS on 35s. They were told "nobody wheels a Blazer"

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
I've always liked the square wheel wells and, as noted, it's been an iconic Chevy aesthetic for a long time.

If GM learns anything from the 2019 Silverado platform, I hope they learn to stick with squares.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

XJLI

Adventurer
A key point brought up for less GMs being used for overland/off road is: Rust. And its not just a GM killer. Depending where you are, winter, snow, ice, and various forms of salt or ice melter is used, and it puts vehicles in the grave fast. So does cheap credit for new vehicles and excessively high repair costs for people who can't do their own repairs.

I live where I not only get salt from the winter, but also salt from the ocean. I've found GM and Ford to be the least susceptible to rust out of all the trucks on the road. Around me, Dodge wheel wells are the first to go. My buddy's 2010 Ram wheel wells started bubbling a few months ago with under 100k miles.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Rust, and Ford/GM is a wash. Ford has/had better rust proofing, but it rarely made a difference. Dodge is the clear loser. Especially the ones with salty spray foam inside the doors. Then there's the Toyota frames.

DRW's are best with steel wheels. The new chinese aluminum DRW wheels flooding the market melt at the sight of the new liquid deicers. China is mixing old dog food and childrens toys (lead) into their aluminum.

Jumped at an aluminum body the first chance I could. (Mid Ohio snow belt, salt belt) Buffalo or the UP, ain't got nothing on us.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
The older Dodge's and GM's were susceptible to rust. The newer Ram's and GM's seem to hold up fine here in the northeast (relatively speaking, as all vehicles will eventually succumb to rust up here).

Same for Toyota's; it was only certain select years of Tacoma (and maybe Tundra, don't recall) that had frame rot. The newer Tacoma's and the older Japanese imports (4runner, LC) hold up just as well as all the other trucks.

I think people's perceptions on vehicle quality are somewhat based on dated stereotypes.

BlackBurb

If the Crosstrek wasn't so woefully under powered, it would have made the short list for my wife. The old Outback Sports based on the Imprezza had a better power to weight ratio. I had one briefly. Fun to drive.

And for the newer vehicles like 2007.5-2013, and to a lesser extent 2014-1018, is SQUARE ************** WHEEL WELLS.
Literally any domestic or import full size with round wheel wells can fit a larger tire with a 1.5-2" front lift than the comparable GM product. Guys struggling to fit larger than 285/70R17 on a 1500 GM depending on offset etc when Rams and Fords can roll on 35s if they play the offset game correctly.
GM can make some fine transverse V6 motors and great V8s. And if you follow the loss leader trims, you can get a quality half ton truck for a great deal (They had a trim called "Custom" here, Double cab, 4x4, V8, locker, tow package, backup camera, power windows locks cruise and handsfree, 20" wheels and body coloured moldings and bumpers, $30,000)

But, its fun to be different. I know two guys that rock crawled late 90s early 2000s chevy blazers. One got SAS on 35s. They were told "nobody wheels a Blazer"

Nobody wheelsBlazers??? Where? Growing up in central OK in the late 80's it seemed like everyone was wheeling '70 - 90's Blazers, solid axle years. Mostly mudding in that area but also used for hunting/fishing rigs.

BlackBurb

I owned a 2005 dodge 2500 for around 10 years. After that, I decided to try a Tundra which lasted about 2 years before I got rid of it. Next I had a 2010 Chevy 2500HD prior to going back to a Ram.

The Chevy had a hard time not going through front end parts running 285/70R17 tires. I got it with around 100K and got rid of it a little over 2 years and 36K later. In that time I upgraded the upper control arms to kryptonite arms, replaced the TREs, sway bar end links, both front hubs, the driver side cv shaft, and leaking seals on the axle housing. When I got rid of it one of the hubs was starting to make noise again, the steering needed addressed, and the lower ball joints needed to be changed. Besides that, I had electrical issues starting with the truck.

At this point, I would be hard pressed to go back to a Chevy/GMC. My search for a new truck was between a F250 and Ram 2500 because I wanted solid axles and slightly larger cab space, which limited me to those two options. I would possibly consider Chevy/GMC if they redid their heavy truck suspensions, and went back to a SFA, but I won’t hold my breath.

How much lift and what size tires did you have on your 2500HD?

BlackBurb

Leveled and 285/70R17

We must have great luck with GM IFS. We ran 285/75R16 on my 2000 GMC Yukon XL 1500 with a torsion bar level for well over 200k miles. The only front end maintenance was diff gear oil change and regular brake service. We drove that truck hard through desert washes, whoops, high speed washboard, etc. no ifs failures. I did have to rebuild the rear autoride shocks twice.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
We must have great luck with GM IFS. We ran 285/75R16 on my 2000 GMC Yukon XL 1500 with a torsion bar level for well over 200k miles. The only front end maintenance was diff gear oil change and regular brake service. We drove that truck hard through desert washes, whoops, high speed washboard, etc. no ifs failures. I did have to rebuild the rear autoride shocks twice.
I think it is the bad news that makes to press release. When things work it doesn't get the same exposure. No news is good news for the GM IFS crowd. The terrain I frequent works well with IFS. I have done minor things to prevent issues that might occur. I am not hardcore and err to the side of caution...most of the time

jordan2.jpg

Last edited:

Grassland

Nobody wheelsBlazers??? Where? Growing up in central OK in the late 80's it seemed like everyone was wheeling '70 - 90's Blazers, solid axle years. Mostly mudding in that area but also used for hunting/fishing rigs.

The conversation the comment was pulled from was specifically referring to late 90s early 2000s platform Blazer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles