Why so few GM Builds?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Most of the guys running the newer 2500 4x4's Suburbans aren't calling any attention to themselves. Most of them probably don't even know that they're “overlanding!” Throw on a good set of tires and no further mods are necessary. Just toss in whatever you think you'll need and go!

I think there is truth to that. I think if your idea of "overlanding" is traveling and poking into some choice backcountry more so than wheeling 4x4 trails with a household full of crap festooned all over your truck then I think the 3/4 Burbs and trucks are pretty sweet. Great drivetrain, much better front end than the 1/2 tons plus an aftermarket that can really beef them up beyond. I am a bit of a minimalist regards to vehicle builds these days, and having a big old payload and space to conceal all the gear inside the truck and keep it uber low profile is pretty sweet. I have gained a lot of respect for these vehicles the past few years of owning one.

bigjohndatsun

I drive one. 2009 z71 1500

65,000km of driving(130 on clock)

Tons of offroad, some light 4x4, daily commutes, city driving, hooning

AFM - It sucks, top end engine rebuild at 120k km(no fault of my own, maintenance on time), Dropped a new cam/shaved heads/valve springs/pushrods in it and disabled afm permanentlty. Almost the power of a 6.0L LS with ok fuel economy

Front wheel bearings, partially my fault hooning in the snow at 70+km/h sideways all night in 4x4, and being overly hard on it driving in general.

Ball joints, Due to a 3" lift. replaced at 90k km. Prob have to do them again in another 30k.

Tranny, suspect. It slipped when I had the tranny tune cranked. So I backed it off and hasnt been an issue for 20k. They are known to grenade with abuse.

Rear end, Suspect. There's a reason you type in 10 bolt gm in google and memes pop up :p

All in all. It has been great. I was well aware of the AFM issues before I bought the truck and was prepared to do the work if I had to.. Mostly bought it because it was optioned with everything I wanted. Z71, max towing 11k pounds, 5.3/4spd with 4:10 gears and a 6.5' box.

Tows like a beast with the cam, gets 550k to a tank on the hwy loaded or unloaded, 400-500 offroad depending on terrain. Its long, but I dont use it for serious 4x4ing.

Would I buy one again(nnbs), most likely not and I am a chevy fan hahaha. I would take a 2019 Diesel silverado with those round wheel wells tho...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I just don't post in the "Full Size" forum because I have a "mini" van!

QeTJdF4e4cZAtlFsT3Y4SgroEKbWnRGsDYLsKuELWlgnLr61wZUcRwRLu_NtOXgb8YFU6f7SZOfQTXUfI3rgyyWVmyQVTYNxvlsxliE1lb_pUyQVtt4IV4U0gUIoBtccyztWOx6Nofvk3fHGjhQ7StFh77-ZIPDTycc1UJJlpDMTXMH3ovdiX1XQn9xAcdg_HlbOuBO_d-5I84VB4ixje8LYr591d2bO8brck8jqThso8CbBX5Vj7ffxiSSsioYeTX0IFoVNxt_puCH9viP1-rDd2sxfthQDAu1BLRlFduJzHYS1FPvdjSFzfyxOPWe0morw4HewBE9fy_2joymIsTKkrNPS0ttZre-qoGYLL0x_QovTgzUrvf1CzZ5veOEyjoWVN9y94kj7vd2qSqvNUSaHE796FUCaKIAuPnI6AujTH1L2oJ9H28rDxiQq7NCV3HJZtr1Kc1UJtizy55HaAxH2d3sw-UoEB61CpZg4IItfSq97IU5BGGrWkzK52b2FA_cUeLft0T5IAST1-ATzN8Ofk7AtORmHPMRihkMIQFSZ7H2PzoayQFyq-ProjseBaVeAi85iwTp0vtJtsy35Yzg2VriTXaUdQJ0cYR_Q-l2R-gyLoXzyFFAzS_TljnRnTLcWHelbNCOec8YgTCPIk4vhO9cyW_Z63A=w600

Seabass

Idiot
This has been funny to read. Basically bunch of guys who don't like Chevy's dogging all the things they don't like about them, and a bunch of guys who do like Chevy's dogging trucks they don't like. I remember when I was in Jr High school and was a crybaby know it all. Guys- run what works for you. I've owned each of the big three. My Chevy trucks were awesome! Great ride, powerful, handled super on the road and off. They each had way over 200k on the tickers when I got rid of them. My only complaint- they sat low to the ground. Even after a bit of lifting they were a little lower than I liked. But- there was a huge list of great things to say. My dodges, well they were cummins powered and turned up and pulled to death. While the bodies and interiors left me wanting, they made up for it in drive train. The steering components didn't seem to hold up as well. But overall they weren't a problem. Today I'm running some OBS fords. I'm having fun with them. I grew up with these- so I'm kinda sentimental toward them. And I have tons good to say about them. And just like the Chevrolets- the Dodges and Fords all had (have) tons of miles on them. They've each had some great points. Each has also had weak points too. But it's awfully disheartening reading about how the other guys truck is junk because.....insert OPINION. To the original poster: there's a lot of Chevy builds on the Portal. I follow bunches of threads. Lots of Tahoes and suburbans. I see newer 1500's set up for camping plenty. There's a lot of older trucks like Chilli's awesome truck, or Larry's K-10 or suburban. I suggest you look again. And screw what anyone says about a breed of truck. Get what you like- one that suits your specific needs. Build it how YOU like it. Then go out and use the crap out of it. And take tons of pics and post em' and tell the rest if us how much fun your having. Hell- that's why we have these vehicles in the first place. Who cares what brand it is as long as it gets you there. Just my .75 cents. I passed .02 several sentences back.

Last edited:

thezentree

pretend redneck
I had a 97 4dr Yukon with cranked torsion bars and 33s. I beat the **** out of that truck. Jumped it, hydrolocked it, rock crawled it, you name it. I pushed a bow wave with my windshield on multiple occasions. My only gripe with that truck was the junk fuel pumps and how big it is for trail riding. The other issues I had were 100% operator-induced, like the time I broke the torsion bar crossmember trying to follow a K5 on 40 inch TSLs up a rock ledge.

It took me on dozens of camping trips and to school and work. I traded it in with 283k miles on the original drivetrain for my 08 Sierra. My new "overlander" is a 3rd gen 4Runner, but I miss that Yukon a lot.

Stryder106

Explorer
There's a lot I'm going to agree and disagree with in this thread. First, I agree the lack of aftermarket support hurts the GM - but if you know how to weld...............well hello. Second, I agree that the 1/2 ton transmission, and front end components are weak. Ironically, there is actually aftermarket support for these areas and they can be addressed just fine thank you very much. Third, if the Solid Axle is so awesome, why is no one complaining that the Toyota Tacoma is an IFS? Bottom line, if you're rock crawling - sure a solid axle is the way to go. But, if you're overlanding, an IFS is very very capable. Fourth, the whole notion of needing a lift to fit a bigger tire is utter rubbish. I have 35x12.50-17 tires on my Av and it is NOT lifted. It is leveled, but no lift kit - and it doesn't rub. Some trimming involved - sure, but that was way better than putting a lift kit on it and raising the CG to the moon. Finally, the Chevy 10 bolt rear end gets a very bad rap. This same rear end has been under the *** end of many very high hp and high torque hot rods and race cars for decades. An overlander isn't really going to hurt it. Again - rock crawling is a different story. I trussed mine, added G2 axles, and an ARB air locker. I'm not worried about it.
//
My Av has taken a lot of thought and fabbing, but ALL of the OEM weakpoints have been addressed. Just have to use a welder, saw, and some imagination to do it. A lot of research and having to think of what you ultimately want to do with it are a must because with many of the mods - there is no going back.

B

BPD53

There's a lot I'm going to agree and disagree with in this thread. First, I agree the lack of aftermarket support hurts the GM - but if you know how to weld...............well hello. Second, I agree that the 1/2 ton transmission, and front end components are weak. Ironically, there is actually aftermarket support for these areas and they can be addressed just fine thank you very much. Third, if the Solid Axle is so awesome, why is no one complaining that the Toyota Tacoma is an IFS? Bottom line, if you're rock crawling - sure a solid axle is the way to go. But, if you're overlanding, an IFS is very very capable. Fourth, the whole notion of needing a lift to fit a bigger tire is utter rubbish. I have 35x12.50-17 tires on my Av and it is NOT lifted. It is leveled, but no lift kit - and it doesn't rub. Some trimming involved - sure, but that was way better than putting a lift kit on it and raising the CG to the moon. Finally, the Chevy 10 bolt rear end gets a very bad rap. This same rear end has been under the *** end of many very high hp and high torque hot rods and race cars for decades. An overlander isn't really going to hurt it. Again - rock crawling is a different story. I trussed mine, added G2 axles, and an ARB air locker. I'm not worried about it.
//
My Av has taken a lot of thought and fabbing, but ALL of the OEM weakpoints have been addressed. Just have to use a welder, saw, and some imagination to do it. A lot of research and having to think of what you ultimately want to do with it are a must because with many of the mods - there is no going back.

I wanna camp with this guy!

I followed a very similar approach to building a camping truck with no regrets. Larger tires/no lift kit/trim plastic/strengthen axles a bit/money spent on drivetrain not off road farkle.

Came from a very capable solid axle vehicle that served me well. Will be beginning the mild build on this Chevy in a few days and will try to document and solicit input from like-minded members. Looking forward to the cheers & jeers! :sombrero:

arveetek

Adventurer
This has been funny to read. Basically bunch of guys who don't like Chevy's dogging all the things they don't like about them, and a bunch of guys who do like Chevy's dogging trucks they don't like. I remember when I was in Jr High school and was a crybaby know it all. Guys- run what works for you. I've owned each of the big three. My Chevy trucks were awesome! Great ride, powerful, handled super on the road and off. They each had way over 200k on the tickers when I got rid of them. My only complaint- they sat low to the ground. Even after a bit of lifting they were a little lower than I liked. But- there was a huge list of great things to say. My dodges, well they were cummins powered and turned up and pulled to death. While the bodies and interiors left me wanting, they made up for it in drive train. The steering components didn't seem to hold up as well. But overall they weren't a problem. Today I'm running some OBS fords. I'm having fun with them. I grew up with these- so I'm kinda sentimental toward them. And I have tons good to say about them. And just like the Chevrolets- the Dodges and Fords all had (have) tons of miles on them. They've each had some great points. Each has also had weak points too. But it's awfully disheartening reading about how the other guys truck is junk because.....insert OPINION. To the original poster: there's a lot of Chevy builds on the Portal. I follow bunches of threads. Lots of Tahoes and suburbans. I see newer 1500's set up for camping plenty. There's a lot of older trucks like Chilli's awesome truck, or Larry's K-10 or suburban. I suggest you look again. And screw what anyone says about a breed of truck. Get what you like- one that suits your specific needs. Build it how YOU like it. Then go out and use the crap out of it. And take tons of pics and post em' and tell the rest if us how much fun your having. Hell- that's why we have these vehicles in the first place. Who cares what brand it is as long as it gets you there. Just my .75 cents. I passed .02 several sentences back.

Amen! Preach it brother!! :D :D :D

Casey

1stDeuce

Explorer
Perhaps it's already been said, but as I stare at the most recent posts on this section of the forum, ALL I SEE are GM builds.... Perhaps these things come in waves...
:)

Dalko43

Explorer
Not that simple. The Powerwagon is pretty simple to work on. The Super Duty suspension and axles are dead simple to work on. (engine not so much, because Ford) The GM front end is a bit of a pain. SAS are nice, but not as much as a '85 2500 with a ZZ502 would be.

So you're going to criticize Chevy for making their vehicles hard to work on while still acknowledging that your favorite brand is a royal PITA for working on the engine?

I think years ago, there used to be distinctions in brand quality and pro's/con's. Nowadays, the big 3 all seem to make very decent trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles