Why Roof Top Tent

4runnerteq

Explorer
Ive been wanting to get out and do more camping. Would like wife to get more involved. Been looking at RTTs. This pretty cool and nice, but what about if your gonna be camped someplace for a few days. Do you guys button everything back up during the day for running around and then have to set it all back up that evening. That seems pretty inconvenient. I would think just settin up the tent & leavin would be lots easier. Thought? Experience?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Under 10 minutes to deploy and stow. By that I mean, set up and change your mind to move to a new spot...10 minutes.
Bedding stays in place toss in clothes and your favorite pillow. No leveling the ground, worrying about leaving it while you explore , securing the tent and best of all...no creepy crawlies.
RTT rule!

Howski

I tend to agree with the OP. At many of the trips I've been on, you have a base camp and ride trails from there for a few days. Everyone I see someone having to break down their RTT for every ride I'm glad I don't have one. Everyone talks about convenient they are but it doesn't take much more time to set up my 2 pole tent. If you have to set up a much larger tent I can understand but it's not in the cards for me. I'd rather spend the +$1,000 on what I think are more useful

STREGA

Explorer
Depends on what your style of camping is, If you like to go to one spot and base camp for a week then yes it would be some what of a pain in the patuty to set up/take down everyday. Now if your like me I tend to go from one spot to another everyday so it is very convenient to have a RTT, it doesn't take to long to pack away our Airtop and we practice minimalist camping for the most part so it doesn't take us to long to get going in the mornings.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I installed my RTT on my M416, best of both worlds!

I often do the 'base camp' thing, staying in one spot for 3-4 days. Having the RTT on the trailer allows me to take the Jeep and hit the rivers fishing, run the trails, or go hunting.

And when I do move, it's only a few minutes to pack it up and go.

Clutch

<---Pass
As with most things in life, it is all about compromise.

A Flip Pac seems like a good compromise, sets up in about 30 seconds.

I had a Wildernest, which is similar to a Flip Pac, I found it annoying having to break it down
when I wanted to go do something. Now I use a professional model EZ-UP and cots, I like to be able to
leave and explore without breaking down camp.

However, the girlfriend misses the Wildernest, since it was like being in a tree house, and up away from the
coyotes and other critters...so I'll probably end up getting another Wildernest or Flip Pac.

The thing I didn't have in my setup was to have everything built in, which if I did have it, say like Taco Docs, it would speed
up setup and tear down.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/521-Doc-s-05-Tacoma-Build-Thread

Last edited:

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
ya a rtt is great with a trailer ,im planning on putting it on the fjc for a wheelin trip through the ozarks where i dont want to take my trailer,the rtt is what makes the wife happy so i do like it ..if alone i sleep in the truck ...but have tented it for many years and nothing wrong with that ...if i was you and planned on staying and exploring a place for a few days i would tent it ..most of my trips are staying overnite and heading down the road the rtt works for me and comfy ...

oliverlove

Adventurer
The wife and I do find it aggravating that we have to 'break' camp every time we want to use the truck. I run a RTT over the bed of my Tacoma. But, the aggravation is totally worth it when you aren't sleeping on the ground.

The moment there is inclement weather, or you want to pack up fast and have to wait for the ground tarp to dry, it pays for itself.

Clutch

<---Pass
The wife and I do find it aggravating that we have to 'break' camp every time we want to use the truck. I run a RTT over the bed of my Tacoma. But, the aggravation is totally worth it when you aren't sleeping on the ground.

The moment there is inclement weather, or you want to pack up fast and have to wait for the ground tarp to dry, it pays for itself.

I use cots, and a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet for the floor of our EZ-UP. Don't care if it is wet when I pack it, I'll just open it up when I get home to dry. Really like the setup...it is pleasing the girlfriend is why I'll probably go back to Flip Pac style camper, seems like even using cots is still too close to the ground for her.

We had a bad experience one night with a pack a very hungry aggressive coyotes on a trip. Ended up sleeping in the cab of the truck.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
ya a rtt is great with a trailer ,im planning on putting it on the fjc for a wheelin trip through the ozarks where i dont want to take my trailer,the rtt is what makes the wife happy so i do like it ..if alone i sleep in the truck ...but have tented it for many years and nothing wrong with that ...if i was you and planned on staying and exploring a place for a few days i would tent it ..most of my trips are staying overnite and heading down the road the rtt works for me and comfy ...

I often wonder if anyone has come back to bad news at basecamp?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

radio_jumper

Adventurer
The rtt works great when you are staying in a different spot every night. Especially if sand is involved.

For me though, it was hardly worth the hassle. Much easier to pack up a ground tent.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
If I had to pick it would be the trailer. First I like the trailer to haul more gear so I don't have to load out the Jeep. I would also want to drive my Jeep around during the day so I wouldn't want to deal with the constant set-up/break down. Last, my style of wheeling doesn't do well with roof racks and I have seen many bent by trees on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtysouth

Adventurer
For me the RTT isn't that practical, but I still want one. They're just cool as all get up. With that being said, my next big purchase is a Tipi and stove from Kifaru or the likes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94