why punch holes in a perfectly good boat?

s.e.charles

hull penetrations: lots of snazzy numbers with holes through & through. pedal drives & fish finders and drain holes galore.

for the BIG ones - pedal/ fishfinders - can these be plugged with a factory made piece or is it the end user's job to deal with that?

and - minor question - how does water get out more than it gets in with a half dozen drain holes in the bottom?

i understand some answers can be brand specific, but that too will help me decide which boat to get in the spring 2022.

thanks

s.e.charles

sorry: sit-on top - rotary molded so i guess plastic. there's a brand which is two-parted like the ocean going kayaks and i think that's a harder material.

sad as it sounds, i'll probably eshew some very practical hull designs which are only available in wild color combinations. i've started a file, but i think Bonafide makes a solid grey boat. and like eveyone i want speed, stability, & tracking in one compact unit (12 or 12.5) . oh; and the option for a torqueedo and battery in year two. i do want to learn how to paddle and build some ability to do it so i am not totally reliant on power. paddle up and power down.

edit: is there an aluminum kayak which has slipped under the radar?

pith helmet

Wilderness Designs out of NC used to make a 12’ dark green SOT fishing kayak. I have one. They always made kayaks that were not so horribly loud. Also, speed and tracking are very much relative when you are talking a sub 14-16’ models or rotomolded boats. The plastic flexes and you lose speed that way. That said, I have a fiberglass 14’ and prefer plastic because it is indestructible.

My favorite boat is my 13’ Mohawk solo canoe. It is the fastest and lightest boat I have. Learn a good j-stroke and you can fly. You can evenput flotation and a skirt on a solo canoe.

Attachments

• 4C978925-C00A-42EB-8C7E-420592D9B6E7.jpeg
    4C978925-C00A-42EB-8C7E-420592D9B6E7.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

billiebob

I agree with pith Helmet.
Speed and tracking both say longer inflexible fiberglass.
Indestructible, stable, maneuverable say the opposite, short, broad, plastic.

Holes in the bottom say neither, they say marketing to the uninitiated.
If you do not want holes do not buy one with holes..... period.

As for adding power, you can do that with any canoe.
Honestly, this could do it all for you.

Vee Lake, NWT
DSC_00340825.JPG

Last edited:

4000lbsOfGoat

If you're not necessarily opposed to an inflatable you might want to look at Sea Eagle. I have the Razorlite 393 and it's quite fast and tracks beautifully. No motor available for that particular model but they have other models with motor options. I find an inflatable to be much easier to deal with while traveling since it takes up way less space.

pith helmet

As to the holes in a SOT kayak….they don’t really allow the water in as much as you’d think and their function is to make it self bailing since there is minimal freeboard and water will be entering all the time if it is the least bit choppy.

s.e.charles

I'm partial to Hobie, pro angler single, search off shore Hobie fishing.

i like a lot of stuff about the Hobie line, but for a first (in 25 years) boat, four grand with no paddle is a stretch too far. the hull shape and side rails are great. i don't want pedal drive option since i need a break from cycling hence the boat urge and to get some upper body movement going.

s.e.charles

If you're not necessarily opposed to an inflatable you might want to look at Sea Eagle. I have the Razorlite 393 and it's quite fast and tracks beautifully. No motor available for that particular model but they have other models with motor options. I find an inflatable to be much easier to deal with while traveling since it takes up way less space.

i understand the "stitch" technology has made paddle & sup vessels more rigid, but a major part of anything i do is a satiation of my gadgeteering gene. this boat is going to have mahogany hatch covers & spray rails; maybe even duckboards from 1/4" marine ply saturated w/ west system. it's definitely going to spend more time on the sawhorses than water, but that's what i am.

hemifoot

Observer
i just picked up 2 oldtown minn kota fishing kayaks a couple months ago.i haven't tried paddling them yet though.they are really heavy and really expensive with lithium batteries.and they have lots of holes.but if you fish,they're awesome.

s.e.charles

i ended up spinning the big wheel and ordered an Eddyline Caribbean 14 FS - will be delivered in april '22.

will learn to paddle for a couple of years and then go for the " s u v " gadgeteer special low wide heavy powered unit.

wish me luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles