Why pay for top quality for an awning?

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
If you're considering a 270 degree and are on the fence about going with the cheaper knock offs vs Alu Cab, take a look at this short video: You decide.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I would be packing it away in that type of wind, lol
Yep, that would be the smart thing to do. It's nice to know if a storm blows in and catches you napping, or one comes in the middle of the night, you stand a better chance of avoiding damage. Owner in that video hadn't even set the pole and tether which is highly recommended with winds above 25 - 30 mph - dude was really testing it!

Dozer Dan

Observer
Having seen the Alu-cab in person I must say it's the best 270 awning on the market. It packs up into a really nice and small package as well.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Yep, that would be the smart thing to do. It's nice to know if a storm blows in and catches you napping, or one comes in the middle of the night, you stand a better chance of avoiding damage. Owner in that video hadn't even set the pole and tether which is highly recommended with winds above 25 - 30 mph - dude was really testing it!

Great to see it can survive the abuse in the real world! I wonder if the Bundutec BunduAwn Awning would be close as far as quality goes? A much larger unit but still of similar design.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Great to see it can survive the abuse in the real world! I wonder if the Bundutec BunduAwn Awning would be close as far as quality goes? A much larger unit but still of similar design.
Alu Cab is a South African manufacturer and it looks like Bondutec is Austrailian based, which really doesn't have much significance other than to know where the company is based. The Bundutec BunduAwn has 2 models to choose based on size and is a larger awning (like you said) - covers 3 sides of a rig - and looks to be similar to the Alu Cab Shadow in quality of build and stoutness. Their Bunduawn website has 2 videos & the 2nd longer video is an interesting review. What I found interesting was that the reviewer admits to modifying the awning to use poles like the Alu Cab has standard, to hold up in the wind. Bundutec even admits on this webpage:

"Please note that although the awnings can be used without poles, they still require the ropes to be tied down to prevent flip over from gusts of wind. Poles can be added for extra strength in heavier weather conditions if so desired."

The reviewer explains the logic for the poles. So why don't BunduAwns come with these poles as at least an option? Anyway, I've seen these awnings before and really like what I see - especially if overlanding in desert terrain! It looks like they don't offer a wall option, so I think their main target is for those owners looking for shade, not shelter. For the desert, not incliment colder climates. The awning fabric is touted reflective - similar to Alu Cab's and it is waterproof:

" PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Riptech/Aluminised was created by using Riptech300 and coating the one side with a silver resin. The silver side must face towards to the sun in order to redirect as much heat away from the underside of the material. This material is waterproof.
This material can be used for awnings, tents, gazebos, tarps, with the prupose of reflecting heat and keeping you cool. This material can make a difference in temperature of up to 5 degrees Celsius"

Available in 2 sizes: 2.45 metre $1399 and 2.95 metre $1499

The price is undoubtably Austrailian dollars and I don't know where or if you can buy locally - no U.S. dealers are listed. Another consideration would be, if they ship here, warranty claims and how long would the turnaround be.

Edit: I was able to find a "local" source

Last edited:
Bundutec does recommend that you use poles if you add sidewalls. I saw a video with poles but no mention of what brand or type.
Ever driven with your awning a tent deployed? No not talking highway speeds for say if you have to relocate due to rising water. I think this is the video mentioned earlier. It is impressive.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Bundutec does recommend that you use poles if you add sidewalls. I saw a video with poles but no mention of what brand or type.
Ever driven with your awning a tent deployed? No not talking highway speeds for say if you have to relocate due to rising water. I think this is the video mentioned earlier. It is impressive......
I don't understand why they would make the buyer responsible for poles. Yes, I've relocated camp spots with Alu Cab awning and CVT RTT deployed. Slowly and keeping track of all clearances! Not a pucker - free manuver...lol

Also I thought that Bundutec was South African based but imported and distributed from Australia.
http://www.bundutec.co.za/
I've been looking at their websites and I can't tell where their headquarters is. I guess it really doesn't matter. One thing's for sure - they are a very robust company, as are their products! A lot more choices & options than at 1st glance.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Video This is the Bundutec BunduAwn video I was referring to in my post #6 & the guy right at the beginng confirms your post # 8, Hillbilly Heaven - South African Company.

Scoutman

Explorer
I love my Alu-Cab awning. That being said, I would have at least put out the guy lines and support pole in those conditions if I felt like the awning needed to stay deployed. It's so simple to put away that it wouldn't be worth the risk even if it could handle the loads.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
I love my Alu-Cab awning. That being said, I would have at least put out the guy lines and support pole in those conditions if I felt like the awning needed to stay deployed. It's so simple to put away that it wouldn't be worth the risk even if it could handle the loads.

That's a huge advantage when it's so easy to pack away in bad conditions!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
See this reinforced area of the Alu Cab Shadow awning:
shadow-awning---nom_7407.jpg

This is a feature pic from the OK4WD website that shows a design that this reinforced area will help the awning fabric last longer. Well, guess what? In this EP thread we learn that he new batch of awnings don't have it. Why? Because:

"They said that they no longer add the reinforcement pad to the latest batch because of the stitching allows water weeping under in the rain. The said they tested the fabric and it doesn't need any reinforcement. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles