Why not use steel walls?

unlearned_one

I want to build a small box body, and it seems that most people use some variation of composite panel (or very occasionally aluminum).

I'm very uneducated at this - It seems like it should be very simple to use steel tube framing, then get some stainless steel sheet metal and connect it to make the frame, rather than worrying about some sip panel.

I could add any insulation on the inside of it, similar to how one insulates a house. (wool, polyiso, etc)

It would have some weight to it for sure, but it doesn't seem like it would come anywhere near a vehicle's max capacity, even for a light truck or van.

Steel seems so much easier to work with - I can weld holes, rivet it, paint it for rust protection, it doesn't need to bond and cure, etc.

Given that vans and school buses work this way, it seems like it should be viable - But I can't seem to find many examples of other people doing builds like this, and I can't find anyone who sells truck bodies already in that style. (Everyone uses some composite panel)

It seems like I must be missing something - Can someone help me understand better what that is?

Last edited:

opp1

most go to weight and maintenance . commercial stuff gluing is cheaper than welding. Have you look in to buying stainless steel sheet ?

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
You answered your own question, composite is lighter, extremely strong and has fantastic insulating properties.
Don't underestimate the value of lightweight materials.

billiebob

yep, we overlanders like to complicate things
nothing wrong with steel tube fames covered in aluminium skin
EVERY commercial/retail cargo trailer is built this way and they last forever

On mine I added a right side door, took 4 hours to open the wall, move a stud, add a header, screw the skin back on, attach the door
This trailer is 10 years old with over 100,000 miles on it....
ps, the door, frame, hinge etc cost $180 complete

Sometimes the retail trade gets it right
ps stainless steel is heavier and way more expensive than aluminium

trlr 003.jpeg

10 years, parked outside always, even winter, never even think about the weather..... cheap commercial trailers define durability

IMG_0976.jpg

Last edited:

jwiereng

yep - most commercial trailer are made this way. If you can weld steel, seems like a steel frame skinned with sheet (maybe not steel skin) would be a good route for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz