Why not use a dry van box?

buba1

Big problems with the dry van box: expensive to start with and not maintained or in bad shape (people hauling furniture don't care if the truck is maintained) trucks. Second big problem is gas mileage: drive a huge brick on the highway.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
A few years back I found a listing for two demountable cargo pods which fitted onto flat bed trucks.

They were all aluminium and laminated ply except for the roof panel which was translucent fiberglass.

Light, strong and able to be loaded and unloaded onto the truck by one person using their built in legs, they were a particularly neat base for building into a camper module.

This was not a type that I'm familiar with and I haven't seen anything like them before or since.

They were commercially manufactured to fit on Sprinter sized vehicles (the photos showed them on a Sprinter) though they'd obviously fit on anything with the matching sized bed.

D

Deleted member 9101

Lol- I was just gonna start a thread about the same thing.

If I buy one and have it trucked here, how would I get it off the trailer and onto our truck? Are there forklift services that can come out and do it for me, or what?

Just hire s crane for a few hours

Treenail

Adventurer
there are more and more tree care companies that have cranes. BOth stick boom and knucklebooms. YOu might find that hiring them when their work is slow to be quite economical.

billiebob

sorry for the thread diversion but what kind of cutting are you doing that a radial arm is the preferred saw?
a radial arm saw does everything a mitre saw and a table saw does, in one compact package.,,,, maybe safer.
obviously it does any compound mitre cut.
plus it rips to 26" cutting a piece of plywood in half.... or less.
and it sets up, transitions instantly.

like so many choices, advertising and peer pressure, egos force us to make bad decisions just so we fit the box.
and a bargain, mine I bought at half price from Sears 45 years ago.... $350. I have a second one I got for free last year.
set up connected to the trailer it is completely stable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier