Why not use a dry van box?

hobbsdt

This may have been discussed at length already, but I can't find a thread!

What would be the problem in insulating and building out a commercial dry-van box into an overland camper?

They are widely available and can be acquired for only a couple grand.

Van boxes are pretty darn tough and get the ******** beat out of them on a daily basis in the commercial world

They are easy to customize with windows, doors, etc..

Any thoughts??

Fatboyz

Observer
Have a look at my thread. It's an old Uhaul. On the Other Expedition Camper category there are a few builds. Java has a nice F450. There's another fella turning a dry van box into an over the cab build by notching out the front.

MTVR

Lol- I was just gonna start a thread about the same thing.

If I buy one and have it trucked here, how would I get it off the trailer and onto our truck? Are there forklift services that can come out and do it for me, or what?

billiebob

yep, one of the cheapest ways to start and as you say, engineered to take a beating.
as you fit it out remember they are designed to flex, they are not rigid boxes, so make sure your interior allows for movement

CampStewart

Observer
Within the dry box family there are many different types of construction and materials. The floors on many of these are of very heavy duty construction for a lot of weight. I would search hard for a box with a lighter duty floor, will save a lot of weight.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Within the dry box family there are many different types of construction and materials. The floors on many of these are of very heavy duty construction for a lot of weight. I would search hard for a box with a lighter duty floor, will save a lot of weight.
Agreed! commercial truck bodies also mostly way taller than you need.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Lol- I was just gonna start a thread about the same thing.

If I buy one and have it trucked here, how would I get it off the trailer and onto our truck? Are there forklift services that can come out and do it for me, or what?
There should be. Or a crane service but that would be expensive. You might try the local tow company, they can usually move stuff like that with their wreckers depending on the box construction and tow points on it. Or they can recommend you a company that can unload it for you.

I have a U haul 24' box I paid $800 for with an aluminum floor and FRP sides I'm going to shorten and make into a camper.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
An equipment rental company should have the big all terrain forklifts with the extendable boom that you could rent or meet the box delivery with your truck at the rental yard.

billiebob

Agreed! commercial truck bodies also mostly way taller than you need.
commercial bodies disassemble real easy if you need to resize them. Especially if the they have aluminium siding, not as easy with FRP siding but still downsizing is easy.

Here I opened the side on my cargo trailer, welded in a new stud and header, added a door and screwed the aluminium siding back on, 4 hours.

trlr 003.jpeg

billiebob

and the reason for that extra door, to fit a fold out radial arm saw. the basic commercial bodies are easy to customize
and commercial hardware is like 80% less expensive that RV hardware, the door/frame/hinge/latch complete was $180.00

trlr 006.jpeg

CampStewart

Observer
and the reason for that extra door, to fit a fold out radial arm saw. the basic commercial bodies are easy to customize
and commercial hardware is like 80% less expensive that RV hardware, the door/frame/hinge/latch complete was $180.00

View attachment 581883
sorry for the thread diversion but what kind of cutting are you doing that a radial arm is the preferred saw?

wxxyz

Have a look at my thread. It's an old Uhaul. On the Other Expedition Camper category there are a few builds. Java has a nice F450. There's another fella turning a dry van box into an over the cab build by notching out the front.
Can you give me a link to the build notching the dry van box? I can't find it... and apparently dry van box is too common of a search term?

Fatboyz

Observer
Can you give me a link to the build notching the dry van box? I can't find it... and apparently dry van box is too common of a search term?
Here it is. Not sure where he's at on the build. Hasn't posted since last fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles