why not many new Chevs or GMC full size trucks?

bigdogyj

Congrats on the new truck. There’s plenty of folks using them as they are great platforms with impressive capability out of the box. Sure the aftermarket guys seem to focus on Jeep’s and Toyota’s. But With a little creativity you can outfit your truck and improve it’s capability for far less $$.
Use what you got and enjoy it. Full size gm rigs have decent clearance, plenty of power and range with some of the highest payload capacities. Focus on what you actually need instead of every bolt on part imaginable and you’ll have a great time with your rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Explorerinil

Observer
As the title says. I have a 2021 GMC 3500 SWR and love it, best on highway, comfy and looks good, but don't see many builds with them. did I buy the wrong truck?
You don’t see many in the off-road overland world, they are good trucks but are not the best suited for an off road truck. GM trucks have allot sitting down really low, plus the IFS front suspension is not the best option for a heavy duty truck. And not to mention the new ones are uglier than homemade sin.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Lack of inventory is a real issue in our area. I would have liked to try the new 6.6 gasser before I bought the 7.3 Ford.
The Chevy dealer had all half tons and only one HD left....a carhartt model with orange seats.
The GMC dealer was all overloaded tarted up Denalis.
I was under the impression that I could score a sweet year end deal on an ugly duckling. Not so much, and definitely not a long box 3500.

Best of luck with the new truck.

jadmt

ignore button user
You don’t see many in the off-road overland world, they are good trucks but are not the best suited for an off road truck. GM trucks have allot sitting down really low, plus the IFS front suspension is not the best option for a heavy duty truck. And not to mention the new ones are uglier than homemade sin.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but i agree Not my favorite to look at. Ford definitely is number 1 in the looks department.

phsycle

Adventurer
Because there are a lot of Instagram’rs on here looking for likes and followers, showing off every overloading, tactical, mil-grade bolt on accessory they can afford, while regular folks with full-size trucks know they can get out in their stock trucks with a bed full of supplies. You know, what everyone used to do before the “newly discovered” camp by vehicle craze. Funny how we all get out to the exact same places.

Despite what twisted-panty explorerinil says, I actually like the new GM styling. Especially compared to the Chev (I liked the previous Gen much better). They’re pretty comfy and plenty capable. Have fun with it.

Grassland

Also the price point may have something to do with it. Newer platform, high price tags.

Plenty of guys dumping big money modifying trucks that are 60, 80, 90+ thousand dollars on here, but I'm assuming that most people can't afford that.

An AT4 package strikes me as more or less what the aftermarket would be doing to a Z71 anyway. Couple inch lift with larger tires. It's less street cred than doing yourself but it accomplish the same thing.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Some more answers here.

Two things I really like about the GM HD's that Ford and Ram don't offer.... that built in bed side step and Auto 4x4.

Some more answers here.

Two things I really like about the GM HD's that Ford and Ram don't offer.... that built in bed side step and Auto 4x4.

Agree with both of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running a GMC 3500 SRW as my main adventure truck for the last three years. Before that, I ran a 2500 for ten years. I have been all over the western US and use these trucks for work, as well. The only issues I have had with my last four GMC/Chevy 2500/3500 trucks are the shocks, tie rods and upper ball joints. Poor performance out of stock shocks is an issue with most vehicles, so no surprise there. High quality upper control arms with a bolt-in ball joint and high quality aftermarket tie rods are not too expensive in the larger scheme of things. Throw on some larger tires and go out and have fun. GM trucks draw a lot of snobby comments, but they are solid trucks.

billiebob

As the title says. I have a 2021 GMC 3500 SWR and love it, best on highway, comfy and looks good, but don't see many builds with them. did I buy the wrong truck?
you bought a comfy good looking truck.

Not a truck easily lifted. Not a truck with proven solid axles front and rear. That IFS which makes Chevys comfy on the highway does not impress those wanting off road comfort. That plus the cost, durability. That IFS when needing a rebuild will cost 10 fold more that the Ford or Dodge solid axle..... altho the solid axles often go 500K miles without any need for rebuilding.

I used to work oilfield in Alberta, the Chevs needed double the budget or lasted half the life in the hard driving oilfield life. At one point we had 20 Ford F250s, 20 Dodge W200s? and 20 Chev 2500s. The boss wanted to see the results. The Chevys died in the first year. Chev builds a truck for urban life. Ford and Dodge don't.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
you bought a comfy good looking truck.

Not a truck easily lifted. Not a truck with proven solid axles front and rear. That IFS which makes Chevys comfy on the highway does not impress those wanting off road comfort. That plus the cost, durability. That IFS when needing a rebuild will cost 10 fold more that the Ford or Dodge solid axle..... altho the solid axles often go 500K miles without any need for rebuilding.

I used to work oilfield in Alberta, the Chevs needed double the budget or lasted half the life in the hard driving oilfield life. At one point we had 20 Ford F250s, 20 Dodge W200s? and 20 Chev 2500s. The boss wanted to see the results. The Chevys died in the first year. Chev builds a truck for urban life. Ford and Dodge don't.

What model years were those trucks? Just curious.

buellconvert

I've been running a GMC 3500 SRW as my main adventure truck for the last three years. Before that, I ran a 2500 for ten years. I have been all over the western US and use these trucks for work, as well. The only issues I have had with my last four GMC/Chevy 2500/3500 trucks are the shocks, tie rods and upper ball joints. Poor performance out of stock shocks is an issue with most vehicles, so no surprise there. High quality upper control arms with a bolt-in ball joint and high quality aftermarket tie rods are not too expensive in the larger scheme of things. Throw on some larger tires and go out and have fun. GM trucks draw a lot of snobby comments, but they are solid trucks.
The upper ball joints and control arms have been my only complaint with my 2017 Silverado 1500...very fragile to say the least

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

bajaphile

I would assume it is a price tag thing. There are however a lot of expensive rigs, especially on this forum. For myself and my friends who share the same sentiment as I do...I just couldn't mentally handle buying a new rig only to scratch, dent and beat it up.

That being said, I really like the look of the new GMC's. I would buy one in 20 years when the price comes down a bit!! ; )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94