Why not a Hummer?

Frank

Explorer
I'm curious as to why we don't see more H1 Hummers prepped for adventure on this site. Different models of H1's are becoming very affordable. -I would say that a non-alpha model can easily be purchased for the price of many other "adventure minded" vehicles. They are proven performers to travel to just about anywhere.

Parts can be pricey but the are available. Well prepped H1's can be had for well below what is put into them. In stock form, they perform amazing.

H2's, although they have a somewhat bad rep, IMO can be solid performers as well. Not to the degree of an H1 but they CAN perform.

So why not a Hummer?

This is from this past weekend. I was at the proving grounds for a charity event. "wheelin for autism" with the Michiana Jeep Club and the Illiana Hummer Club

246803_1831505742541_1087303939_31712083_5669097_n.jpg
247384_1831489342131_1087303939_31712023_5518658_n.jpg

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I don't know how comfortable the seats in the civy H1's are but the green Humvees suck to take long drives in.:elkgrin: The width is also bad for where I live, lots of trees and mountains, but in more open areas it wouldn't be. And if you go out of the country at all in one it would be a pretty big target for people meaning you harm. I would still love to have one in my driveway though.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
We raced an H1 Alpha in the Baja 1000 last year, it was awesome to say the least and I am very impressed with the platform. There was another H1 Alpha as a support vehicle that we had to rob parts off of for the race rig, it was big but very stable and seemed comfortable.

We also had an H2 that was fully built as a prerunner/ chase rig. I could see one as a expedition vehicle with some work done to it, but they are tall and still very large. In addition there was an H2 SUT that was not as built but still moved fairly well on the back roads.

There were also a couple H3s with us in SUV form, I would suggest these because they are much shorter and smaller. Even better would be an H3T if you could get your hands on one.

-Alex

Frank

Explorer
I spoke with the owner of the H1 in the picture (that's his Granddaughters H2 BTW) about the H1. I asked him about the ability to maneuver in tight places. He said "that roof rack is a roof guard, not a place to store stuff when we are in places like this...". haha. Tight turns are a downfall to the Hummer. I will agree to that.

IMO, off roading and "overlanding" are a bit of two different things. If I were to be an off-roader, I wouldn't choose a H1. If I did a lot of what I see on this forum, I would highly consider a H1, which is why I posted this topic.

I really cant see why a H1 would be bad for long hauls/adventure. They are comfortable. If you were treking through a dense woods, cutting your own paths, ok...yes...a hummer might not be the best choice. We did a "Level 2" trail (a trail that did not require lockers on a Jeep but did require a better than stock Jeep) and a friend of mine spent a good bit of his time pulling out an H3. I don't believe an H3 is a "Hummer"...its like the compass of Jeeps. haha.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Most overland vehicles I see tend to be lighter and smaller wheel based. Though I would think a hummer would have some advantages like wider wheel base, independent suspension, the military self inflating tire setup would also be awesome.

Last edited:

lstzephyr

wanderer
I passed a ten mile convoy of military trucks and thought about this exact question just yesterday.

The single biggest limitation I see to a hummer is that out of the country(especially mexico) it would get way too much attention. I just can't see that being much of a good thing to be cruising around in one in some of the areas I have been.

Even limiting yourself to only the US/Canada area you basically would be on primarily roads where a more normal vehicle would be better, or in offroad areas where a narrower vehicle would be better.

Thats my opinion to why not a hummer. For me personally, its just too expensive.

Quill

Adventurer
I would think an H1 would go everywhere a Suburban would. Nice set up. The Prius only crowd like to target them. That said parts are still not that easy to come by in less commercial areas.

D

Deleted member 9101

Size is really its limiting factor... but I have taken the military version in to places that you woudl never think they could fit.

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
The car rental company gave me a H3 for the weekend and everywhere I went I could "feel the hate". Every stoplight, every parking lot - everywhere I went people looked at me with this expression that I can only describe as pure hatred and disgust. It was very noticeable. I tried to smile at people and be friendly, but it didn't help at all. Even little kids were looking at the Hummer with dirty looks.

This was in Kentucky and Ohio by the way.

I don't think I could own one around here. I really didn't like the vibe I was getting from everyone. Plus Hummers aren't all that comfortable inside.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I don't know how comfortable the seats in the civy H1's are but the green Humvees suck to take long drives in.:elkgrin: The width is also bad for where I live, lots of trees and mountains, but in more open areas it wouldn't be. And if you go out of the country at all in one it would be a pretty big target for people meaning you harm. I would still love to have one in my driveway though.

People always think they are too wide. They said the something about the rubicon. And there have Benny many h1's on the rubicon. I live in the sierras and i have taken hmmwv's all over the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xracer9

Observer
H3 good expo rig

I have mine h3 since 5 years without any issue...

Attachments

• DSC04385.JPG
    DSC04385.JPG
    601.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC05626.JPG
    DSC05626.JPG
    592.4 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC03904.JPG
    DSC03904.JPG
    591 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC03881.JPG
    DSC03881.JPG
    587.7 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC04971.JPG
    DSC04971.JPG
    598 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC04470.JPG
    DSC04470.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 115

Frank

Explorer
The car rental company gave me a H3 for the weekend and everywhere I went I could "feel the hate". Every stoplight, every parking lot - everywhere I went people looked at me with this expression that I can only describe as pure hatred and disgust. It was very noticeable. I tried to smile at people and be friendly, but it didn't help at all. Even little kids were looking at the Hummer with dirty looks.

This was in Kentucky and Ohio by the way.

I don't think I could own one around here. I really didn't like the vibe I was getting from everyone. Plus Hummers aren't all that comfortable inside.

I would agree that Hummer owners are stereotyped to a degree. I myself, being a Jeep owner am considered a disgrace to the environment because I drive my Jeep off-road...according to a super tree huger co worker. ********.

But yes, I would say that Hummer owners are stereotyped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior