Why no Ram 1500 Builds!

vanatee2000

Observer
I just bought a 2020 ram 1500 and will create a mild build thread soon. Wont be too much to add, as it's a solid platform (though a bit long!) Build a low profile bed rack for my rtt for about $100 and no welding, which I documented and will include. Then I'll do solar, add my fridge, come up with a bed rail system, throw on a lift and get some sliders and I'll be good to go I think. One drawback is that with the crew cab and 6'4" bed, I actually have a longer wheelbase than the crew cab 2500 but and not as high off the ground

phsycle

Adventurer
... One drawback is that with the crew cab and 6'4" bed, I actually have a longer wheelbase than the crew cab 2500 but and not as high off the ground
True, but the interior dimensions of the new gen Ram 1500 is closer to the Megacab 2500 (which has a longer wheelbase) than the crewcab.

Shovel

Dreaming Ape
Nice gen 2.5 montero
Thanks!

That was on the day I bought it from a salvage auction; looked a bit more like this when I sold it to cover some medical and moving expenses

P1000569.JPG

To keep it ever so slightly on topic here's a size comparison with a Ram 1500.

Both vehicles are wearing the same size tires (LT285/70R17)

KIMG0848.JPG

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Any problems with it? One thing I didn’t care for was when the eco light was on with cruise control and coming up on a hill it feels like the motor ran rough for a few seconds before it downshifted! I guessing it has a DOD system like Chevy uses, any issues with the past models with that system?
I’m a Toyota guy at hart but really liked my 5.0 F-150 company truck. I can’t stand the new Silverado that replaced it! I rented the Ram due the Silverado transmission being replaced at 70k miles! But looking to replace my personal 4Runner with a new truck leaning toward a F-150 or tundra but the rams are very intriguing for the price!
It took me a minute to learn how the eco mode liked to be driven. Once you figure out how to tickle the skinny pedal, it doesn't hunt for gears and cylinders. And boy-howdy, the HEMI growl when you romp on it is very satisfying.
All that and I'm averaging about 19.5 mpg.

The more I drive it, the more I like it. Very happy with the RAM.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I Drove 1,000 Miles on a Single Tank in the 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Has anyone got a good experiences with the RAM diesels?
They had one at the dealership when I bought my 1500 at the end of May --- right color, wrong package for me. They were discounting it even more than the truck I bought but it was just too pimped-out for my liking. Moon roof, 20" wheels, etc.
They were giving about $15,000 off retail and it really had me thinking about it.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder

Recommended books for Overlanding

The Alchemist, 25th Anniversary: A Fable About Following ...
by Paulo Coelho
From $10.47
National Geographic Road Atlas 2021: Adventure Edition [U...
by tional Geographic Maps
From $19.29
Tschiffely's Ride: Ten Thousand Miles in the Saddle from ...
by Aimé Tschiffely
From $10.99
Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99

94toy22re

Observer
I Drove 1,000 Miles on a Single Tank in the 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Has anyone got a good experiences with the RAM diesels?
Pretty sure the eco diesel is complete crap, under sized rod bearings that eat themselves at 100k miles! Unless you step to the 3/4 or 1 ton gas is the way to go!

Highlander

The Good Shepherd
Didn’t RAM say the second generation Eco diesel is a totally redesigned engine with the issues addressed?

Also it is very hard to find diesel on lower trims. My coworker, who is from Sweden and has always had diesel trucks, was looking for a stripped down RAM with a diesel engine and couldn’t find it. He could build it on the website but nothing was available within 500 miles.

outdoorco75

I think you’ll be good with any of those trucks. Ram felt nice. Rode well. I tested the Tradesman model and it had everything I wanted except the non-split rear seat. As you know, torque in that Ecoboost is awesome. I’d swing that way just on that.
What did you end up going with? I am toying with a 2021 Rebel or F150. I live at elevation so the Ecoboost would be nice, but the Rebel out of the box is so much more capable in my opinion.

MG99

I just bought a 2020 ram 1500 and will create a mild build thread soon. Wont be too much to add, as it's a solid platform (though a bit long!) Build a low profile bed rack for my rtt for about $100 and no welding, which I documented and will include. Then I'll do solar, add my fridge, come up with a bed rail system, throw on a lift and get some sliders and I'll be good to go I think. One drawback is that with the crew cab and 6'4" bed, I actually have a longer wheelbase than the crew cab 2500 but and not as high off the ground
I look forward to seeing your bed rack and build thread.

outdoorco75

I’m very happy with my 1500. 1770lb payload. Hemi. 4x4. I Put on Rebel wheels and tires (18” on 33’s). Need a bed rack and RTT. Eventually I want to do a minor lift and skid plates and it’ll get me anywhere I want for camping in comfort.
So the Rebel starts at 1750 before options. I guess it is because of the beefier wheels to start, suspension and skids amongst other things. I test drove a loaded one and the sticker said 1371 lbs. Hoping that a model without sunroof, bed boxes will get 100 lbs back. I live in CO and want something fully capable off the lot since I don't have the time or know how to do suspension mods in my garage.

outdoorco75

Because the majority of the folks that have built up 1/2 tons for camping/exploring are realizing their payload capacity is surprisingly light so you're seeing more and more folks step up to 3/4 and 1 tons.

Myself included :)

It's funny. GVWR has always been a thing.

Seems folks in general only seemed to really start paying much mind to it in the last couple years.

Hence the lean towards 3/4 and 1 tons of recent. I cringe every time i see a Tacoma with a loaded FWC or similar on it, wayyyy over the limits. Response usually: "Nah, they told me i just needed airbags and E rated tires" ummmmm That's not how math works! hahaha

Browse the classifieds and you'll see Tacomas and half tons for sale over and over again, and usually have verbiage along the lines of "Moving up to....", etc..

You'll almost never see a 3/4 or 1 ton for sale with someone saying "I want a smaller truck" just saying :p

Half tons have their place in the world, but built up and loaded with gear isnt it.

That's my unsolicited .02
But aren’t Tacoma payloads sub 1000 lbs? Why do they have any business being loaded up?