Why no backward flip pac?

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
So the new wife and I have discovered that we both have a hidden love..Camping..

With many years of many builds..and being a master tradesman and welder Ive been shocked at the cost of flippac's and the build quality..

HOWEVER the biggest shock is that folks are missing out on a 5x8 awning build into the flippac they could be using for shade!!

images.jpg
DSC04443.jpg
I would initiallyassume that its due to structural reinforcing that the smaller front window would allow..however the pictures Ive seen of flippacs doesnt seem to support that as the main backbone is steel with fiberglass over it.

burquedoka photos show no real additional structure.
00Q0Q_8OsVHojHc4l_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_6iYh3lEuZ9Y_600x450.jpg

so basing my design build off of a metal framework like a ladder rack with some downward supports for the back I would assume I could build a flip-pac STYLE and with some internal ropes for support (and maybe reluctantly legs to ground that an awning would have) I could throw a side awning and a little triangle connector and it would be a 2 sided wrap around like a fox wing.

back-door.jpg
camper-view.jpg
117500065.JPG
based on how much taller a full size truck is (my 2015 ram 1500 cc tradesman diesel) over 6'5" to bottom of front door seal..so flip pack would be even higher than that..anyone of average height shouldn't have trouble getting in and out of the truck bed and bang their heads (they would hit a standard cap back window anyway)

Ideas on why they didn't do this? Pitfalls Ive not thought about? (already looking at a front rain deflector built into the build and good seals all the way around...torsion bar like flip pac to open and close..and this would be a utility truck cap build with low-profile ladder rack as this is also my work truck..no need to build benches/tables that are permanent)

sturdy..like this..the frame too..lol
1212.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I think the main reason Flip-pac doesn't do rear opening is just because of the truck/tailgate/lifting hatch model of use.

If you have a tailgate on your truck and a hatch door that opens up, it will interfere on a rearward-opening flip-pac. The pictures you have above are for a door with the hinges on a vertical edge, which obviously doesn't interfere. If you plan to make a rear-opening flipper, you'd better plan to replace the tailgate with a door...

tgreening

Expedition Leader
My guess is its a suspension issue. If it opens to the front you are loading both the front and rear axles. If it opens to the rear you're using the rear axle as a fulcrum and unloading the front axle. Probably makes for a bit less stability.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I think the main reason Flip-pac doesn't do rear opening is just because of the truck/tailgate/lifting hatch model of use.

If you have a tailgate on your truck and a hatch door that opens up, it will interfere on a rearward-opening flip-pac. The pictures you have above are for a door with the hinges on a vertical edge, which obviously doesn't interfere. If you plan to make a rear-opening flipper, you'd better plan to replace the tailgate with a door...

the regular flip pac back window is already in the way pretty good...not sure it will be too bad flipped around..

I did think about loading the suspension..but thats only when is opened...closed it would be same...

but both great points!!!

DaVikes

Adventurer
I think they wanted to minimize the overall footprint. It is a little easier to find a level parking spot for something 20ft long than 28ft long. Also, trucks were not as tall when the flip pac was developed 30ish years ago. 4wd was not as common, and I think they saw 2wd trucks as part of the market. For 2wd trucks, the awning/bed platform might not have been tall enough to stand up under. Just guessing.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Flippacs also use supports that attach to the fenders when open. As you mentioned, you could use a rope or cable system like Earthroamer did with their Jeeps - but that wasn't part of the Flippac design (for better or worse).

Camelfilter

Explorer
Honestly I don't know that I would like my flip flipped backwards. The way it flips towards makes it pretty easy for me to climb into & more importantly out of. If it were flipped backwards I'm sure I'd come up with something to make getting in & out of bed easy, but as I'm currently setup with a bench near the cab, it's a step up to the bench & a longer step up to bed.

Easy to get down as well.

If it were flipped the other way? That's a bit of a haul straight up.

On the subject of making your own flip (front or back), I'd suggest staying away from using a torsion bar. It seems that FP uses a proprietary torsion bar, with limited success. Look at the number of failures, there's just too much tension/stress involved.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I suspect the "footprint" of a back flip FlipPac could be a negative as well. With the current version, if the truck fits, the Flip Pac will fit, with a backwards flip you'd need another 6-8' of real estate.

billy bee

Adventurer
I suspect the "footprint" of a back flip FlipPac could be a negative as well. With the current version, if the truck fits, the Flip Pac will fit, with a backwards flip you'd need another 6-8' of real estate.

This is exactly why the FP is more appealing to me than the Wildernest or any other side- or rear-flip arrangement. It the truck fits in a space the tent will also fit, overhead, flip-over space permitting...

bb

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
You would have to do something to adjust for the suspension loading when open if you wanted it to be level when sleeping.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Oh, just thought if another reason why not to make yours backwards flip: Rainfly! If your tent may eventually need a Rainfly I honestly couldn't figure out how I'd get it onto my flip. Maybe on a smaller truck/jeep. The ultimate setup of course would be a sturdy single wall waterproof tent well ventilated, flipped either way...

I can currently put on my Rainfly pretty easily solo in a few minutes. Sometimes it takes a couple tries, but usually I can do it first attempt.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
all GREAT points Guys!! and I did think about suspension,leveling and the rain fly (honestly rain fly is currently the biggest reason to not back-flip it.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
NO STRUCTURAL SUPPORT
TOO BIG OF A FOOTPRINT

Structurally its not any diffrent flipping forward or backwards if you basically flipped one backwards on a truck its no diffrent...the weight distribution when open is diffrent thou.

the footprint is longer that way..but if you have a rear awning its not...

Im loving the thoughts tho guys! Its getting me to look at the build from many diffrent angles..

dman93

Adventurer
The top front of the Flip-Pac shell is much stronger than the rear, where there's a large opening for the lift gate. So with the current shell design, a reversed flip could cause problems as the torsion bar feeds a lot load into the shell when it's fully open or fully closed, even worse than the current design. That could be addressed with some real engineering, but the solution would probably require moving the hinge point somewhat forward from the back of the shell and maybe making the rear window smaller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior