Why I switched from a Tacoma to an F150

Let me start off by saying that I’ve been a Toyota guy my whole life. My first truck was an ‘81 Toyota single cab; I built a rockcrawler ‘88 4runner, beat the crap out of a ‘90 Extended Cab and fell in love w/ my ‘98 Tacoma, which I had for well over 10 years....

So then why did I make the switch??

Click the link for my blog post:

billiebob

Excellent write up.
And I agree, all else equal, nothing is more important than what he interior finish looks like.
When I was a child I could have bought a Camaro or Firebird but I picked a Trans Am to look at this all day.

5142790010_large.jpg

Last edited:
Very well written and I can’t disagree with you whatsoever. Midsize pickups are great for certain things but it’s hard to justify one when you can get a half ton that will get you to the same places (as long as width will allow) and they do it much more comfortably with better fuel economy. The additional payload is also very nice to have as well. Most of the people running around in midsize pickups set up for overlanding are overloaded by at least a few hundred pounds if not more and are getting worse fuel economy than a half ton because of the additional weight that realistically a half ton wouldn’t even notice is there. Fantastic looking pickup and you were 100% correct in your statement of if you don’t look back when walking away, you bought the wrong rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
I was a lifelong Toyota guy myself. Thought I’d try a Ford when the aluminum F150’s came out and when we had our 3rd kid. The Supercrew 2.7Ecoboost was an epiphany. So much space for all the kid stuff…and the kids. Flat floor for the dog. Much more powerful and more fuel efficient. I was sold.

I think you’ll continue to be satisfied. RCI makes some nice skids and plenty of suspension options available. I’ve got a 3.5EB now and plan on a 3” Icon lift and 35’s. That’ll get me around plenty of trails in CO, UT, AZ, etc.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Congrats on the new truck!! I love mine.. The one piece of information that I thought you may think is cool is that with these trucks, so many functions are available with Forscan. If you want paddle shifters, you can get them with a raptor wheel and a tweak of the code, pretty inexpensively.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I'm nearly 80 years old so I've been through a lot of vehicles in my lifetime. My 2016 F150 Supercab 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, bought new nearly 6 years ago, has been without a doubt the best vehicle I have ever owned. Never been in the shop for any reason - oil changes and tire rotations is all that's ever been done to it. Nearly 60,000 miles on it now and the overall fuel mileage since new, hand calculated, is 20.9 mpg.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Just traded in my 2021 ranger. Great truck, loved it! But sadly too small for our business. Picked up a 2021 f150 xlt sport 5liter v8.
this thing is big! Finding parking is a bit more challenging. But man the interior, overall quality , space and power is at another levelcompared to the ranger. Just the ergonomics inside are so much more user friendly. Can’t wait to strap our truck camper on and go on a trip!

tatanka48

if i live long enuff(only 73 now) and wear my '02 4-door F-350 srw 7.3 4x4 out i think i'd give one of these a good look see

this comment is made solely because of this thread

so far ... it has taken me everywhere i've gone or wanted to go except over Black Bear Pass and that really is because of length and width

"T"

D45

Explorer
I'm nearly 80 years old so I've been through a lot of vehicles in my lifetime. My 2016 F150 Supercab 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, bought new nearly 6 years ago, has been without a doubt the best vehicle I have ever owned. Never been in the shop for any reason - oil changes and tire rotations is all that's ever been done to it. Nearly 60,000 miles on it now and the overall fuel mileage since new, hand calculated, is 20.9 mpg.

What gears?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
30 months and 30,000 miles on my 2018 F-150 3.5 EB and only one very minor recall (leaky taillight lens.) No other issues. Pulls like an ox up 11,000' passes and is very comfortable on long trips (which is mostly what we use it for - our daily driver is a Honda CR-V.)

The comment about quiet is very true. Wife's Honda is noisy as hell, reminds me of my buddie's old Honda Civic he had in high school - in 1978! But the F-150 is as quiet as a limo. When I was young I didn't care about that but as I get older it has become more important to me.

The crew cab is huge and the flat load deck makes it easy to haul stuff there. On long trips our back seat is folded and our 40lb dog in her bed, our fridge, food box and auxiliary battery all ride in that part of the cab. No way could I put that much stuff in a smaller vehicle and I like having all our food inside the cab where it's not subject to extremes of temperature. Also having the food and fridge in the cab means my wife can hand me a cold drink or make me a sandwich while we drive.

I'm another ex-Toyota bigot who decided to quit paying the Toyota Tax. And for the record, I don't think Toyota has gotten worse, but I do think they've rested on their laurels while their competitors have been catching up.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Toyota pickup trucks haven't interested me in years, I would much rather have a Ford or RAM half-ton than the current Tacoma. I am a bit more intrigued by the new Frontier but sadly it's payload is crap too, but I'd probably buy one before a 3rd Gen Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles