Why I Bought a Ford F250 Tremor for a Four Wheel Campers Hawk UTE

BretEdge

Adventurer
Hey folks! Earlier this year I bought a 2021 F250 Tremor on which to install a Norweld tray and FWC Hawk UTE. I did so knowing that I would be replacing the factory suspension, wheels and tires. I'm often asked why I bought a Tremor only to replace those items. Since it's such a common question I thought it might be useful to others if I wrote a blog post about it. So, I did. Click the link below to read all about it. Happy to answer questions here or, preferably, on the blog post.

Why I Bought a Ford F250 Tremor for a Four Wheel Campers Hawk UTE

phsycle

Adventurer
100% agree that Tremor brings enough value to justify the ~$4k cost. Mostly that front LSD. Ford did a nice job putting it together. Only wish they added in a winch option.

GeorgeHayduke

I totally agree with your parting comment about headlights. I don't think I can buy a car without LED headlights ever again.

eyemgh

I totally agree with your parting comment about headlights. I don't think I can buy a car without LED headlights ever again.

I think that's a much more complicated get on a SD than people realize. From my understanding they are only available on Lariat and above with the Ultimate package with a crew cab, all of which I didn't want. Had I wanted all that, I'd have ponied up the extra $1k in a heartbeat.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yes, to get their amazing LED's you have to fit certain packages to a Lariat or higher trim, it's silly. What's sad is how many King Ranch and Platinums I see on dealer lots as stock inventory that sticker for $72K+ and they still have the crappy halogen headlights, that's a huge oversight by whoever orders the trucks for the lot.

I thought the Warn winch was an option for the Tremor, no?

Explorerinil

Observer
Yes, to get their amazing LED's you have to fit certain packages to a Lariat or higher trim, it's silly. What's sad is how many King Ranch and Platinums I see on dealer lots as stock inventory that sticker for $72K+ and they still have the crappy halogen headlights, that's a huge oversight by whoever orders the trucks for the lot.

The lighting issue in these trucks is a terrible idea, on ram trucks you can get led lighting as a stand alone safety package on all models for a reasonable price. On super duty’s you have to pick top trims then some more options to get the led lights. The halogen lights on these trucks are horrible.

The warn winch is an option from ford performance, you have to order a truck with dual alternators then the dealer installs it after your truck arrives. It’s not a factory installed option, another bad idea since some dealers don’t know how to install the winch and botch the install. They should have had it as a factory option, you click a box and the factory installs it just like most other options. I’ve heard of people getting there trucks and waiting months for the winch to arrive, then when it does the dealer installs it and bills them another 1k or more for the install.

Explorerinil

Observer
Ditto this.
I went with the XLT also because I don’t need all the extra options, sad ford stopped offering the tremor package as an option in XLT trucks now. You said you wanted a shorter wheelbase so you went with the XLT, am I reading this wrong, how is the XLT shorter? It’s just a package.

ricoisme26

I went with the XLT also because I don’t need all the extra options, sad ford stopped offering the tremor package as an option in XLT trucks now. You said you wanted a shorter wheelbase so you went with the XLT, am I reading this wrong, how is the XLT shorter? It’s just a package.

I think they just meant a plain XLT and not a tremor package truck so they could get the supercab. Might also be some confusion with how the F150 Tremor is its own trim level.

Shame they stopped offering the Tremor package on XLT super duty trucks.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The lighting issue in these trucks is a terrible idea, on ram trucks you can get led lighting as a stand alone safety package on all models for a reasonable price. On super duty’s you have to pick top trims then some more options to get the led lights. The halogen lights on these trucks are horrible.

The warn winch is an option from ford performance, you have to order a truck with dual alternators then the dealer installs it after your truck arrives. It’s not a factory installed option, another bad idea since some dealers don’t know how to install the winch and botch the install. They should have had it as a factory option, you click a box and the factory installs it just like most other options. I’ve heard of people getting there trucks and waiting months for the winch to arrive, then when it does the dealer installs it and bills them another 1k or more for the install.

After owning four Super Duties in a row (all of which were KR's) simply to get the features I wanted, it was refreshing to purchase a RAM. My truck is a jazzed up work grade trim that has the better NAV and black out edition LED head lights, this would have never been possible on a Ford.

eyemgh

I think they just meant a plain XLT and not a tremor package truck so they could get the supercab. Might also be some confusion with how the F150 Tremor is its own trim level.

Shame they stopped offering the Tremor package on XLT super duty trucks.

Yes, a 148” WB was a priority. Tremor is only available in a Crew Cab 160” WB, and requires Lariat or higher. It’s a really cool truck, but I didn’t want the wheelbase to be appreciably bigger than our current rig. I could have still gone with Lariat, but going with XLT allowed me to save several thousand dollars. Since I couldn’t get Tremor it didn’t seem like the value was there in the more expensive package(s).

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
100% agree that Tremor brings enough value to justify the ~$4k cost. Mostly that front LSD. Ford did a nice job putting it together. Only wish they added in a winch option.
Warn winch is a stand alone option for any trim of Super Duty up here. Ditto sad that you can't get an XLT Tremor anymore.
Screenshot 2021-12-15 084940.png
Screenshot 2021-12-15 085015.png

It does require the 7.3 V8 and 4x4 though. 2 options I'd get if going Super Duty anyway.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
My fingers didn’t clearly type what I was thinking in my head. Just selfishly wishing the winch was part of the Tremor package, by which, getting a bit of a discount. It’s a $3k option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior