Why don't we see more Ford Ranger builds

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
What do you think of the Ultraterrains? I dont see them much because they are Discount Tire only, but everyone who has them says they are great.
They’re silent and ride a little better than the e load snow tires I took off. Got a little wheel spin merging into traffic in the rain today but that’s probably normal. The snow tires I took off were narrower and softer so I didn’t get much of that before.
I went with the at’s for peace of mind boondocking with my little camping trailer. Time will tell. I don’t really intentionally off road.

sn_85

Observer
The Ranger is nice but it was already behind the 8 ball when it was released in the US. By the time it was released here it was already 8 or 9 years old elsewhere so it looked pretty dated inside and out. I think the new 2023 Ranger will be a hit and raise a lot of eyebrows. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

skrypj

The Ranger is nice but it was already behind the 8 ball when it was released in the US. By the time it was released here it was already 8 or 9 years old elsewhere so it looked pretty dated inside and out. I think the new 2023 Ranger will be a hit and raise a lot of eyebrows. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

So was every other truck though. The Colorado was and the Frontier was from 2005 or whatever. The Taco technically was updated in 2016 but its still on the old chassis, and by most accounts, the driveline was a step backwards.

GM also has the next gen twins coming out in 2023 and allegedly it will have the 2.7L inline 4. Thats a big deal. That 2.7 makes them the first mid-sized truck that I’d actually think about buying to replace my F150 for towing.

Maybe Ford will do the same with their 2.7

sn_85

Observer
So was every other truck though. The Colorado was and the Frontier was from 2005 or whatever. The Taco technically was updated in 2016 but its still on the old chassis, and by most accounts, the driveline was a step backwards.

GM also has the next gen twins coming out in 2023 and allegedly it will have the 2.7L inline 4. Thats a big deal. That 2.7 makes them the first mid-sized truck that I’d actually think about buying to replace my F150 for towing.

Maybe Ford will do the same with their 2.7

Do you really think the average Tacoma buyer really cares about chassis and drivetrain though? People are superficial and they care more about looks (out and in), tech, crawl control, and new shiny factor. The average Tacoma buyer probably didn't know that the 2nd and 3rd gens shared the same frame and cab. All they knew was that it had a new body and that everyone else on IG had one so they would buy one. The GM twins were reintroduced in 2015. By the time Ford introduced the Ranger in 2019 it was already 4-5 years behind Toyota and GM in reputation and aftermarket. Jeep released the Gladiator in 2019 so it would have to compete with that as well. The Frontier held strong and continued to sell 80k units a year because it was a cheap truck that you could get for $28k brand new. It was a crowded market when the Ranger joined the party. Even though it was a newcomer to the US market it already looked much older than the other trucks.

TBH I don't think Ford had high hopes for the Ranger as it is. They weren't aiming to take over the Tacoma market. Rather I think they wanted to release it to establish some reputation and perhaps gain some market share to set up the successor in 2023. Personally I think it's going to be a killer platform and for a Toyota guy like myself I'm excited to see what the 2023 Ranger brings. I think it's going to be the best in the segment and probably take over GM as the 2nd best mid-size truck in terms of sales. I don't have high hopes for the next gen Tacoma (2024 maybe?) with the way Toyota has been doing things and I think it'll be a subpar product but will still be sales king due to reputation and fanboyism. My only hope is that Ford releases the new Ranger with a Super Crew long bed and the 2.7L. That would be the ideal setup for me.

Patrollife

Explorer
One of the principal elements that convinced me to buy a Ranger was the fact that it had been tried and tested in the Australian market. It’s been trading places with the Hilux for the #1 pickup in Australia for nearly the last decade, and Australia 4x4 just named the Ranger their 2022 4x4 Ute of the year (yes, the same model that’s been selling for the last 10 years). I’m aware there are some differences to the US model but the DNA is nearly the same.

Other reasons I went with the Ranger are:
1. US manufacturer
2. Better payload, better towing
3. The headroom in the taco is too tight
4. I find the 2.3L really fun to drive (I don’t have a tune)
5. Rear locker

I considered the Bison and Gladiator but I’ve never liked Chevy interior and just wasn’t ready to convert to a Jeep (I switched to the Ranger from a 2011 FJC that I owned and absolutely loved for seven years).

Full size rigs are too big for me—I like the agility and nimbleness of mid size—and I prefer keeping things simple and light with my camping set up (did the RTT thing before). I don’t like being tied to one way of camping or one setup, and I still want my truck to be a truck. Plus, I travel with a GSD and Ridgeback so I need to have options for how to change things up depending on the trip.

In terms of what others are saying, I think the positive out of this conversation is that it is pretty damn cool to have so many options to choose from in the mid and full size markets. Whether you are a yota or Ford guy, TRX or Raptor or ZR2, the market is now friendly to your personal taste.

I don’t think there’s been a more exciting time to own a new 4x4 truck or SUV.

skrypj

Do you really think the average Tacoma buyer really cares about chassis and drivetrain though? People are superficial and they care more about looks (out and in), tech, crawl control, and new shiny factor. The average Tacoma buyer probably didn't know that the 2nd and 3rd gens shared the same frame and cab. All they knew was that it had a new body and that everyone else on IG had one so they would buy one. The GM twins were reintroduced in 2015. By the time Ford introduced the Ranger in 2019 it was already 4-5 years behind Toyota and GM in reputation and aftermarket. Jeep released the Gladiator in 2019 so it would have to compete with that as well. The Frontier held strong and continued to sell 80k units a year because it was a cheap truck that you could get for $28k brand new. It was a crowded market when the Ranger joined the party. Even though it was a newcomer to the US market it already looked much older than the other trucks.

TBH I don't think Ford had high hopes for the Ranger as it is. They weren't aiming to take over the Tacoma market. Rather I think they wanted to release it to establish some reputation and perhaps gain some market share to set up the successor in 2023. Personally I think it's going to be a killer platform and for a Toyota guy like myself I'm excited to see what the 2023 Ranger brings. I think it's going to be the best in the segment and probably take over GM as the 2nd best mid-size truck in terms of sales. I don't have high hopes for the next gen Tacoma (2024 maybe?) with the way Toyota has been doing things and I think it'll be a subpar product but will still be sales king due to reputation and fanboyism. My only hope is that Ford releases the new Ranger with a Super Crew long bed and the 2.7L. That would be the ideal setup for me.

I would say you are describing the average mid-sized buyer, not just taco. They are all “low rent” compared to any half ton and so the only people buying them are people who don’t want to deal with a full size. They are all old, all long in the tooth, and all a compromise.

B_Hayes

My Ranger is on the left.

NKAKZujGXsKy0i2mG9S3JZfLmbzC8aAdHUkK_z7VGdSCcSoUD3-RxT8MK6C05fJl-2IaBVFwwN6wgCcfNZ2B6siS-TpeiNSYZeVNeL1UroET_k5iBPIIfr5VeZC0xycqclhQhq-IaCMOLPNGMVHT3qrAdHuHUN3rB9GrDBgQ5ZDEB1pIIX3_hSXb4hT_TPijf_C1H8QX6wBI3hvSKQMvKi3mR4KhEMOKBhQNJ3Cwn2F6aUb7YoetAoBhix60lg3bGd9AegQccemwyl1A8aNG6LaM0XcHksUPdCJdUlv_9kndjJAnbhbIeWOZGEIHBLnOThIJTg7lXH5tIDuHwk-yAgNWC9FGIYdqqyFvmCugzOHQh0sazOXEJar9rn-OHKfUtKkU1QCjE1GnND4nYgJgblqnv4s1QMsxHOBZCr_LSKCuE34xTSJj21qIfJ-OuBHh1az15hMVi13_trXl_5jddfbKlsY7ZrOZBwiUAnt6-liVgyl1RXu5mSNRLgzg2GuIrDslw0SmmceSnFD77edqtvbtwK5EQkEbIwpATF0LsvyyK1t3G9AOav5etxW9l7zHpZsqtvb15lajOilPeiNX7Z-u1x4Fl0kc8FQ7EnZn6yPPXc2_pOb2nbQDIt92V5XQukHMczdPwPI_Xb9Ib3rSps1Cem-CLp-5vUhAP1LpMpeY8vdgEyR9t_la53YIN_-wTfGlEcFSCnIX4JdUX0hZCpwhjgpdsDksm-3Hb8_gSWq2wAD5e7xgnbYM4B7ZJV09_9ri0CLQgMybPxxQvlY8g2NI3J0Xc2-KS-EMR0YfNYV_i8mwO7aEuVTOefrihEXztBBbUmoTI9DlQki8Bd2OkKvnoH8MVdq0ScQTN41BHIW67YzNJaqFrIQUEtf1Va1pN2PGhojKGBj2OkyuZwwHtc5mKveXisV7gLcS26dcIKvJyzFGQNd47APQbfu88QXByuVKHCCD7pfPmtVaf6GxhuqCWAqk4k-yLu4JvMmK6fggXJWAXA=w1743-h1307-no

We have a decent group of Rangers in Colorado. We do a lot of day and weekend trips. I still get 21 mpg in the Colorado hills with 255/80r17 tires, pulling 300+ miles per tank. If fuel economy is your primary concern, I know that LRA is releasing a 36 gallon tank soon.

My Ranger just before hitting Red Cone.

0ib62zSEYgmcbXFkjEK1YXNF9lrnuVMKxJuZYYXNTz0uD4JHc7hsWFVCvZ00oAeSXoebih8cdaxeJSTd94CNs3e3JPuuVV64hDxPRTkPNWOyovEa1H5R2jSxxJzgETeGVX6-87bE3aseBQIHW77d4IbyGhCPT9LuTMooKxmovVe4y0Ctq7-AZ-VenHY0m-OKraQ94gZEqqwYPdekku0hAi_eeqdV7395sbkpp_YftUAWa7LV9OUtPCCw5h2p3jM0UWF3AAvO0wwd-XybaMFjqln9Byhn8Us3cNm3W0oILR7a4rGvMS6JeO_Jgzv5AvyEDN690fw7h9Rqt4IpzcaR_9qFHZS6bpOnu27bq0YuRo8NQqWe8T_5tMY6LEr1PJ0PjEy7c4zAUrsEGmcPecoB4SHy2jjjopVFDJmVYYDEZxliuBFxGCPZS-FyKlLj1eZ470aWRWrz_GJLHQ8diTirf-7HmD4wt3XYVovnxs4KbeeVgurAieeUwbkoalXbWK6hq7UfqyHQD8Z4zFde_kP_ZieNIt5LV3jl_7P8W8ta0tJYfZopl1-JUHdGVx0NOIc9DoNN0a2bWD4UwtxuKq6XVl4Xe-O0Hbn_uiLNpHNfSaBdq2vCJIvBAWBxHlvkYVHirUmnGzmliJsIl2XIntxXbLupazZpLskNdPI21K0jE9bQoxtNZpXHDYdiwvY72DOLoGebdgUslBdJ0rycNk2mI1woVAOK9vM7JllOKoLwlyxfZC7vDS0s_Hb_-5ErbchltXT6wMau_r0HUF8FmmTmtWaLYB5CfC4m7Mv1s8FacwH6c_MrHMRiFAZiaHwyDVZDNtDWN2ZPS4X2P7yo-sQNtL6SXCC11JfAgvgXlCwwH1stFfCrdUUMh1hJWwPFY7PpmpbzMA84aKFCC5Uyep5G8hsh7QGcufZ18nVY7xbpr9WkyLuBgHAAH1Z3egdDwQU820dc_8sgZF2X5dPoAFU2pXAdVJOBV0ZllroOWBSs0i1gi88ClQ=w1838-h982-no

It’s bouncy, it rides rough they all complain. It’s a f&$king truck. Get one before a focus group turns it into a Tacoma.

Payload capacity is what got me looking at the Ranger. Ours carries a small house and gets better mpg than our stock 4Runner empty. Gives zero f$&ks about a mountain pass.

Attachments

• EBBBFAAD-275A-48FD-B90C-785D22327836.jpeg
    EBBBFAAD-275A-48FD-B90C-785D22327836.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles