Why don't we see more Ford Ranger builds

85_Ranger4x4

Some of the other mid sized trucks like the Tacoma and Colorado do a much better job with the back seat area for storage.

I'm talking about crew cabs above, not extended cabs.

But the front seat though... big difference the other way (IMO)

stevo_pct

But the front seat though... big difference the other way (IMO)

That's strange, I didn't like the front seat either - I like the F150 much better there.

Unless you're comparing it to the Tacoma, then I'd agree. The Tacoma was a non starter for me because the driving position is terrible for anyone over 6'.

85_Ranger4x4

That's strange, I didn't like the front seat either - I like the F150 much better there.

Unless you're comparing it to the Tacoma, then I'd agree. The Tacoma was a non starter for me because the driving position is terrible for anyone over 6'.

Yeah, taco. To a lesser degree Colorado too.

Not really crazy about newer 150's either. Never driven a Ranger newer than 1991 though so hard to really compare.

A half hour in driving my FIL's KR F-150 I was ready for something else.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Recently replaced my Wrangler with a Ranger, and I think the main reason we don’t see many has already been mentioned: the dealers have offered massive incentives on f-150s to the point where no one in their right mind would buy a ranger.

That is, until Covid hit. The trade in on my 9.5 year old tired wrangler was too good to pass up, but no full size incentives were to be found. The Ranger is far more compelling when all the trucks are going for MSRP. I had a great saleswoman looking out for me and she let me know exactly what the dealer had coming, so I didn’t have to wait for a factory order.

The ranger has a lot going for it. Better value for dollar in off road trim by far than the competition, and way better payload/towing in off road trim. The primary trade off is terrible back seat utility. And I mean worst on the market terrible. I’ll be ripping mine out soon.

Attachments

• 3C26F93F-DCD7-46EF-9926-9251CC2A816A.jpeg
    3C26F93F-DCD7-46EF-9926-9251CC2A816A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42

nickw

Adventurer
I have a both a 2019 Ford Ranger and a 2015 JKU Rubicon with Ursa Minor. In my experience the mpg difference between the two isn’t that different . My fully rigged JKU with AEV lift, bumpers, winch, Ursa averages 17-17.5 mpg counting highway miles. My Ranger Supercrew FX4 with RLD Canopy, one size larger than stock tires, and leveling shocks(all else stock) averages 19 mpg including highway miles. At least that’s my experience.
I got 17-18 mixed and could easily get 22+ on longer highway slogs, I had slighltly larger tiles also.

jbaucom

On the Ranger, Ford calls it Cactus Gray. On the Mustang it's called Fighter Jet Gray. Sometimes you can see a lot of green in it, other times it has sort of a blue hue, occasionally it actually looks gray!
Cactus Gray is a great color on everything Ford offers it on! It's the color I'd get if I bought a Bronco or a Ranger, and if it were available, it would look fantastic on an F150 Tremor with its yellow-orange accents.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Parks and Recreation in San Diego chucked their perfectly fine F-150 longbeds for Rangers with the micro beds. Spend the money or lose it. Typical government. My buddy works there and it now takes three trips to the haulaway bin when it used to take one. He's 5'10" and bashes his head all day getting in it. His cavernous F-150 cab is sorely missed. They had V-6's and the fuel economy is nearly identical in city driving.

WingShot

Parks and Recreation in San Diego chucked their perfectly fine F-150 longbeds for Rangers with the micro beds. Spend the money or lose it. Typical government. My buddy works there and it now takes three trips to the haulaway bin when it used to take one. He's 5'10" and bashes his head all day getting in it. His cavernous F-150 cab is sorely missed. They had V-6's and the fuel economy is nearly identical in city driving.
I'm certainly not going to argue how a city government chooses to spend their money or that an F-150 cab isn't cavernous. But I am 5'11" and have never hit my head getting in the Ranger, nor knocked off my rather large cowboy hat that is frequently on it! Maybe I duck better.

jbaucom

I'm certainly not going to argue how a city government chooses to spend their money or that an F-150 cab isn't cavernous. But I am 5'11" and have never hit my head getting in the Ranger, nor knocked off my rather large cowboy hat that is frequently on it! Maybe I duck better.
He probably bangs his head getting in because he's accustomed to the F150 and hasn't adjusted yet. After a while, he'll probably adapt and bashing his head will no longer be an issue. I drive an F150. Every time I get in my dad's Buick, I bang my head, hard, because I forget how much I have to duck and contort myself to get into a car. Once I'm in, there's plenty of headroom. My wife once banged her head getting into an F750, and it's plenty big. Standing on the top step, her head was above the roof, and she wasn't used to ducking that much to climb into a truck. Any "different" vehicle can get you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles