Why don't i see any Thule or Yakima boxes on Overland rigs?

Madbodhi

Observer

Ours carries sleeping bags, tent, fishing poles, and a trolling motor. Frees up enough room inside the vehicle to allow us to carry an inflatable 4 person boat and we can actually see out the back instead of having a wall of stuff.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I traded in my Thule Force L for a Pulse Alpine in order to fit the new Oz tent RV3, and they fit together perfectly with room to spare for chairs and gear. Very excited for this new setup.

IMG_20170302_2050082_zpsilkm5wrp.jpg

IMG_20170304_1007575_zpswcwqaxyl.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
I think for me i would rather have a rack to organize cloths sleep stuff etc into they're own boxes instead of 1 big pod. If something happens to 1 case you still have the other stuff if the pod goes you'd lose it all

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ericvs

I use a box on the roof when we are bringing all the gear. Super handy. I can access it by opening the side storage doors and standing on the lip. it is actually easier to access the box on my truck than it is when we had it on the Impreza as we are both too short. haha.

1F1wcf7h.jpg
[/IMG]

prerunner221

Adventurer
Cosmo2312, Thanks! I've really enjoyed the build.

I think for me i would rather have a rack to organize cloths sleep stuff etc into they're own boxes instead of 1 big pod. If something happens to 1 case you still have the other stuff if the pod goes you'd lose it all

These things are surprisingly strong. I used to sell them in while running a truck accessory shop and only had to do small repairs a handful of times for customers. I sued the one on my FJ a lot when I moved. I forgot it was up there after a day of moving and tried to pull into the garage. I heard the crunch and immediately expected the worse. What I found was a broken factory roof rack crossbar, and a little paint on the Thule that came right off. Love that roof bin.

jswift716

Adventurer
I'm not saying they aren't, that's just why I wouldn't. Back ups for back ups

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

dms1

Explorer
I bought this Thule at Pep Boys a while back for $50.00 because they could not find it in the system and it was missing the mounting hardware, so I bought it and made my own mounting system. After a couple of uses I saw a few hairline cracks starting to develop on the floor so I put some 3/16 x 1.5" by about 5 feet steel under each side of the box to help support it and fixed the crack with ABS glue (I think it was ABS) from home depot and some 1/8 inch styrene plastic. Has been holding up for years now. I normally just stored a tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses and fishing poles up there, but we slowly started to downsize as my wife got more comfortable camping and finally got rid of our Glamping stuff and now hardly ever use it.

13227421_10207963643261555_6207502949997881849_o.jpg

17358831_10210619050165068_960587603614259309_o.jpg

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
Family of 5 here:
  • 5 Sleeping bags
  • 5 Pillows
  • 5 sleeping pads
  • 5 camp chairs
  • 1 memory foam top pad for the Mrs.
  • 1 family size 6 man tent
  • Full size rain tarp
  • Kelty Carport awning

It all fits with room to spare in our Thule, and I can see out the back window still! Light bulky items are where these boxes excel. We love ours.

As the designated packer/unpacker for our trips, I love the fact that I can just toss the gear up there, with VERY little thinking and arranging. No straps, no tarps, no bungee's, no worries of things flying off nor getting wet. We do pack all the sleeping bags and the pillows into two dry bags but that is about organization and packing up camp more than a waterproof thing. I try to generally keep the heavy things low and in the middle (ie the tent) and the rest just pop it up there, close the lid, lock it and leave.

image-jpg.1274741

image-jpg.1274740

We are in the same boat, and I've arrived at the same conclusion you have. We're a family of 5 (wife, 2 kids, and grandpa) and we bring our 2 dogs along too sometimes. We HAVE to use our roof, so if it's light and bulky, it's going up top. We have a small (10 cubic ft) box made by Yakima, and sold under the ProRack label. It carries our 5 sleeping pads, 5 camping chairs, and 2 sleeping bags. Everything stays dry (even when driving in torrential rain), and everything stays secure enough to keep the honest people honest.

Eventually I'll get a more "expo" style platform rack, but even with that, I'll still be using this box. We LOVE this thing.

AugSep2016DSC_0031 by scottybell1313, on Flickr

AugSep2016DSC_0244 by scottybell1313, on Flickr

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
Seen 2 Thule lids on the side of the interstate within the last week. Wonder where all the stuff inside went........

Ozzmanbossman

I know a friend of mine uses a Thule Sidekick (at least he used to I don't know if he still has it) on his Jeep Cherokee, and he lives in NW Canada. He was very satisfied with it.

borison

Adventurer
Answer: A 90 pound black lab. LOL

Honestly, the way we travel, we often spend a few days camping, then a night in a hotel, and then repeat. We keep our camping gear, much of it bulky but very lightweight, in the box. People don't often break into cargo boxes. They don't know if they go to the risk of breaking into it, it won't be empty. People DO smash windows to nab gear in a vehicle. Ask me how I know.

But, everyone is different. Sure works for me and has for the better part of 20 years.
X2, if they aren't sure of a payoff, they pass it by because so many are on the roof empty.

IMG_0026.jpgIMG_0027.jpg

Thule and yakima are so mainstream. Enter one hadrigg missile case. Full gasket, w like 50 latches and a pressure relief. Literally it used to hold missiles. Not for everyone I know. I just put it up there tonight. I'll see how bad the noise is on the way to work tomorrow and then redesign the mounting setup. The shell fills up fast and head space is important. Gonna give this a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier