Why don’t more people take the WK2 overlanding?

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Low ground clearance, fully independent suspension, horrible approach angles. Just not a good base platform and almost no aftermarket support. We had a WK2 that we wheeled a little bit. Did a lot of the trails around Ouray/Silverton, basically everything except Poughkeepsie. It was slow going and the undercarriage took a beating. It's basically a Subaru Outback with Low Range.

Septu

Explorer
I see guys out in brand new $50k rubicons all day long so I can't really see price being that big of an issue.

As for the air suspension, that's not stopping Land Rover owners from wheeling their rigs. And I've never heard of a failure from a WK2 air spring caused or happening while off road.

I'm leaning towards more of a perception issue than anything else. The typical WK2 buyer simply isn't the overlanding type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but 50k for a well setup Rubi is a little different then 65k for a WK that you then have to mod it out for it to have any real capabilities. Not to mention what happens when you break something. You can buy used/cheap JK parts all over now that the platform has been out for a decade. I doubt you're doing the same with a newer WK.

Not saying it can't be done... but that's why you see people out with the rubi's and not with the WKs. I know I took my brand new Rubi and wheeled it. But that's specifically what I bought it for.

Thedonnellm

Yeah but 50k for a well setup Rubi is a little different then 65k for a WK that you then have to mod it out for it to have any real capabilities. Not to mention what happens when you break something. You can buy used/cheap JK parts all over now that the platform has been out for a decade. I doubt you're doing the same with a newer WK.

Not saying it can't be done... but that's why you see people out with the rubi's and not with the WKs. I know I took my brand new Rubi and wheeled it. But that's specifically what I bought it for.

They may be 65K wherever you are but in the states a V6 trailhawk starts at 42,995. A rubi JKU is 47k starting.

As for modding, it’s pretty capable straight off the dealer lot. Only thing I’m looking to do is 285/75/17 duratracs, a hidden winch mount, and rear recovery points.

I’m gonna say it’s down to a perception issue as most of the things said in this thread has been misinformation. People just don’t seem to know anything about the platform.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I'm gonna say it's down to a perception issue as most of the things said in this thread has been misinformation. People just don't seem to know anything about the platform.

I owned one for 3 years, I know plenty about it and have been wheeling for close to 20 years. They're just not that good. Load them down with gear and they're even worse. If you want just basic dirt roads sure, but if the terrain gets much rougher than that you'll find the platform lacking.

We ditched the WK2 for JKU Rubi, and the JKU breezes through the terrain the WK2 struggled in.

Thedonnellm

I owned one for 3 years, I know plenty about it and have been wheeling for close to 20 years. They're just not that good. Load them down with gear and they're even worse. If you want just basic dirt roads sure, but if the terrain gets much rougher than that you'll find the platform lacking.

We ditched the WK2 for JKU Rubi, and the JKU breezes through the terrain the WK2 struggled in.

The lack of suspension travel definitely is a concern of mine. Did yours have the quadra Lift? 10.4” is more than my 4Runner had stock.

kdeleon

Observer

Also there is a better chance that a jeep wrangler buyer type intends to offroad their jeep. Insert your mall crawler joke here, but truth is jeep wrangler buyers are not your typical commuter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayadog

Adventurer
I had a 2010 WK 3.7 QT1. Great family hauler, took me everywhere I needed to go (beach, unimproved roads, New England winter) with just slightly bigger AT tires. Very reliable. Hoping the WK2 I bought today is just as good. I have a JKU for off road but when my family drives more than 2 hours we'll take the WK2.

Septu

Explorer
Also there is a better chance that a jeep wrangler buyer type intends to offroad their jeep. Insert your mall crawler joke here, but truth is jeep wrangler buyers are not your typical commuter.

Zero argument here. That said... outside of the few wheeling trips I do, most of my time is spent exploring... and that I could probably do 90%+ of the trails I've done with a modified Cherokee Trailhawk. If it wasn't for the fact that my jeep is basically finished (just needs a couple minor things), and that it's almost paid off and that Dodge just put a new engine in it last summer (yay warranty), I'd actually consider switching platforms. But I've dumped so much money into this that I can't envision starting over again.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I had a 2010 WK 3.7 QT1. Great family hauler, took me everywhere I needed to go (beach, unimproved roads, New England winter) with just slightly bigger AT tires. Very reliable. Hoping the WK2 I bought today is just as good. I have a JKU for off road but when my family drives more than 2 hours we'll take the WK2.

Our WK2 was one of the best highway cars I've ever owned. That little Pentastar V6 was more than enough power even going through the mountains of CO.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
The lack of suspension travel definitely is a concern of mine. Did yours have the quadra Lift? 10.4” is more than my 4Runner had stock.

No QuadraLift on mine, but it did have skids, tow points, and 4Lo.

I'm of the opinion in that an overlanding situation, you want the rig to be overbuilt for the trail. Sure, we got a WK2 through Black Bear Pass, but my ZJ on 35's breezes through a trail like that. The amount of effort and time it takes to get a vehicle like a WK2 through anything even remotely challenging is just too much. I've wheeled with one that has QuadraLift out in Moab a few times too and even small ledges and climbs that I didn't even slow down for in my ZJ were a process to get the WK2 through, and it didn't come out unscathed.

If you're just car camping (honestly what the vast majority of "overlanders" do) than the WK2 should be fine. But for venturing far off the beaten path where you need to depend on your vehicle to get you back to civilization and where a mechanical failure or you getting stuck could have severe consequences, I would MUCH rather have a well built rig designed for that type of stuff. JK's aren't without their faults, but for a new vehicle, dollar for dollar true expedition/overland stuff, you can't beat one.

The WK2 is a great vehicle, as I said I've already owned one, and have contemplated getting another one, but NOT for any type of off-road travel. Incredible on the highway, in the snow, great ride on basic dirt roads, but just doesn't cut it when the going gets rough.

snwbrdr

I use my WK2 as a do-it-all vehicle and am pretty satisfied. Its not built for rockcrawling, but that‘s not the same as overlanding. The WK2 shouldn‘t be compared to a JK, instead to a 4runner, Prado, Discovery or similar. And it doesn‘t have to hide against those SUVs.
Of course I get some stupid comments on trails or in offroad parks, but I don‘t care

ea39e87769e4bb4c2192bc5cd4a54d80.jpg
149795fb0e36a14f992f4b91ff747e0f.jpg
0bd90cfd173f3b40bfabc31b30cbc67f.jpeg

Pathfinder7

OP,

Follow this guy: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/167487-Halley-17-WK2-Trailhawk-Overland-Build/page11

He has the same rig I have and actually does overlanding. What everyone is talking about here is rock crawling, which is great and has its own purpose. A $5000 used Polaris RZR would make all the JKs look silly at rock crawling and is fun as hell on the trails and san. It has massive aftermarket support and if you completely destroy it, you can salvage some parts and be out less than $5k. Flip that JKUR or roll it into some hard rocks and see how much that costs you.

Like stated above, there is a lot of ignorance and misinformation being spread here. I gave an even $40k for my 17 V6 WK2TH and have put about $5k into the “nonexistent” aftermarket for tires, roof rack, Chief armor, and a nice hidden winch. I have a very capable overlanding rig that rides great on 2,000 mile trips getting 22+ MPG on the highway. You can easily have enough left over to get a used RZR and a trailer for the <5% rock crawling 10 miles up the road. Do not confuse overlanding with looking cool, mall crawling, and driving 100 yards once a month over some rough rocks. If I hit rough stuff on the trail, the WK2 will handle it with some finesse and get me back on to actually exploring away from the crowds where I want to be. I wanted the diesel, but FCA decided to pull a VW and not get that built, *** clowns. Still, I’m very happy with the V6 as it does everything I need it to.

Bottom line, get a rig built for what you want to do. I have an old CJ with a 350ci Chevy on 37” tires that is fun as hell on rocks, deep mud, and sand, but I wouldn’t drive that thing over 30 miles on the highway. Purpose built. Decide what you want and build it. Purest will always be haters, do what you do.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Same reason you don't see people wheeling the new Land Rover Discovery..

Off roading is tough on a vehicle and new SUV costs are off the charts.

That and the interior space on the Grand Cherokees is a joke. In a few years you'll see them on the trails but I personally think they make a lousy Expedition platform.

Weeds

Adventurer
I own both.

I own both JKU and WK2, they each have their own purpose. I love them both and so does the wife.
You do get odd looks when the WK2 is off road such as Echo Canyon in Death Valley. When the air suspension is down and you are off pavement, I am sure people are wondering how did he get here? Especially if there is a ledge or two.

BostonJohn

I own both a 2005 LJ and a 2015 WK2:

LJ - 33s, lockers, 4in lift. It's an amazing trail rig but certainly not enough space for more than a short weekend adventure.

WK2 - Limited with the Off-road Adventure II package which includes Quadralift, QuadraDriveII, eLSD, skids, and front/rear tow points.

To be honest the WK2 can tackle a LOT more terrain than most will tell you because they simply haven't tried. Mine's been on a number of trips through Anza Borrego and while we're not rock crawling with it, it's tackled a number of obstacles (ruts, step-ups, sandy pits) I was unsure we'd get past. We also drove it from San Diego to Alaska and back including a trip across the Denali Highway. I can't speak for other's experiences but mine's been very reliable only needing standard routine maintenance thus far. The WK2 does not have the same articulation as my LJ and I can't squeeze big tires under there with the Quadralift so there are certainly some disadvantages. We plan to tackle the Mojave Rd as well as some trails in Death Valley and we'll be bringing the WK2 rather than the LJ for a number of reasons, mostly range and cargo space.

Ultimately the best overland vehicle for you is the one that meets all your personal needs and allows you to get out there and experience the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles