Why does no one use a high truck shell?

Pogue

Workin on it
Same. I looked for a long time, this wasn't 100% but the price was right.
Bent door came off, toolbox half cut out, and became a dog window, wired lights and outlets in along with a separate small solar system so it doesn't feed off the truck.

Currently sitting here drawing on an interior skeleton that will hold a full exterior roof rack. Those outboard bike racks work pretty well, so I need 4 kayaks and 2 inflatable paddle boards on top!

Something like this with a separate section over the cab, or possibly overhung like a ladder/lumber rack.
LL1396BPCONTOUR.jpg

Or, I still can't fully shake the idea of hinging one of these, GoFast style....

Zuber

I've got a Caravan Journey on order. Stopped by in Reno to check them out first. All steel, double doors out back, 'Windoors' on the side that swing up and have sliders in them also. Very tough one piece with 5 cross ribs. Should be able to hold a 350# boat on a roof rack. The bed on my new RAM is 21" to the rails and the canopy will be 6" above the cab at 29". So, it will have a ceiling of 50". My friends older ford van, which I've had many, has a ceiling height of 52", so it should be very useful. I don't think it will look like an old man's truck, it will look like a contractor or a Sheriff.

Having a white, four door, shortbed pickup is like having it camo'ed, almost invisible in the crowd.

purdytj

seeker
Form follows function!

I originally bought this "Raven" high top for $200 on Craigslist when I first bought the truck 3 years ago. I put Herculiner on the whole thing to prevent slipping when walking around on top and because the color did not match the truck. I also Herculined the nerf bars, fender 'flares', mudflaps, and rear bumper to match. I have a Fantastic Fan on top for me and/or for the dogs in summer. The drawers are plywood and only on the passenger side to leave the driver side for the bigger dog kennel. Above the drawers is the sleeping platform that extends over the 100 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary fuel tank (1500 miles of range, baby!).

240537856_10157883451652102_1663787750451775006_n.jpg

Extra covered space for those Costco runs...
161062341_10157561088582102_7676773784252795870_n.jpg

No fancy drawer guides - just slides along the wood (upper drawer) and bed mat (lower drawer).
167553042_10157600180272102_4316002647799183537_n.jpg

Original installation of the platform - the lower 2x4 cross beams are now trimmed (ski photo above is more recent).
74670792_10156323057292102_7415985129375399936_n.jpg

BigTilda

Wedge toppers are where it's at. Room for dogs, secure(ish) storage for gear. I found a bent one off a Nissan Titan and made a headache rack/platform for it sit on and it gave me a 1/4 inch plate to mount to inside as well! The only thing miss about fiberglass is it was much nicer to sleep in.View attachment 687905View attachment 687906

Do you have any more pictures of that cap? I have the same one on an old dodge diesel and It’s great. I have mine insulated with a couple lights wired up but I’ve been trying to figure out how to get some windows in there. Your solution is pretty neat.

I've got a Caravan Journey on order. Stopped by in Reno to check them out first. All steel, double doors out back, 'Windoors' on the side that swing up and have sliders in them also. Very tough one piece with 5 cross ribs. Should be able to hold a 350# boat on a roof rack. The bed on my new RAM is 21" to the rails and the canopy will be 6" above the cab at 29". So, it will have a ceiling of 50". My friends older ford van, which I've had many, has a ceiling height of 52", so it should be very useful. I don't think it will look like an old man's truck, it will look like a contractor or a Sheriff.

Having a white, four door, shortbed pickup is like having it camo'ed, almost invisible in the crowd.

Did you order the slanted sides or straight? I really like those Caravans.

Form follows function!

I originally bought this "Raven" high top for $200 on Craigslist when I first bought the truck 3 years ago. I put Herculiner on the whole thing to prevent slipping when walking around on top and because the color did not match the truck. I also Herculined the nerf bars, fender 'flares', mudflaps, and rear bumper to match. I have a Fantastic Fan on top for me and/or for the dogs in summer. The drawers are plywood and only on the passenger side to leave the driver side for the bigger dog kennel. Above the drawers is the sleeping platform that extends over the 100 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary fuel tank (1500 miles of range, baby!).

View attachment 690036

Extra covered space for those Costco runs...
View attachment 690037

No fancy drawer guides - just slides along the wood (upper drawer) and bed mat (lower drawer).
View attachment 690039

Original installation of the platform - the lower 2x4 cross beams are now trimmed (ski photo above is more recent).
View attachment 690040

Is that rack custom?

Pogue

Workin on it
Do you have any more pictures of that cap? I have the same one on an old dodge diesel and It’s great. I have mine insulated with a couple lights wired up but I’ve been trying to figure out how to get some windows in there. Your solution is pretty neat.

Mine is just 3/4" square steel welded into a square and an old piece of galv hog panel poorly welded to it.
IMG_20211101_122851.jpg

Holes through this side and self tappers into the aluminum. Much sturdier than I expected....
IMG_20211101_122845.jpg

IMG_20211101_123008.jpg

The cover I sewed myself out of the cheapest sunbrella style fabric the local store had. Snaps are self tapped and the straps are cheapo load straps I cut off and screwed in.
IMG_20211101_122832.jpgIMG_20211101_122834.jpg

The interior tool box ran the length but I just used a cut off wheel and a scrap piece of aluminum to anchor it to the top brace

MR. ED

Observer

If I knew I was going to keep my truck forever I’d drop the money for a caravan. Been coveting them for years. Nice choice.

Zuber

Did you order the slanted sides or straight? I really like those Caravans.

The owner had a good tip. He said the straight sides looked funny on the short beds. Because, it was just as wide as it was long. The tapered sides made it look cleaner.

I didn't like their roof racks. They bolted on and really stuck up. One reason I wanted to look at the Caravan Canopies was to see the internal ribs. There are 5 ribs, 'hat' shaped with easy flat places to drill. Now I plan on mounting some thin 80/20 extrusion on the upper sides to give a universal place to clamp on roof racks only when I need them. Could be a mount for a awning also.

I like Purdytj's fuel tank in the bed. I've gotten used to having 50-60 gallons, so I can completely bypass fueling in some states (looking at you California) and hit the Reservation's. I'm going to weld up a 20-30 gallon cross tank and pump it into the vent line of the main tank. Should only need to be 65Lx12wx12h, I'll cut an opening in the canopy to install a filler and drill a hole in the bed for the transfer hose. The accessory 50 gal tanks are $1400, I can get this done for about $150.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles