Why does no one use a high truck shell?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’ve got a cab high aluminum contractor topper. Heavy enough two guys can barely move it. Side doors, not side windows. If I have to back up out of a parking spot it’s a giant blind spot, I just go back and pop the door up so I can see. It’ll close itself the first bump I hit.
I wish I had the vent/window/screen things but I only paid $400 for this.

Attachments

• E8DEB760-B3BC-40E5-BA79-98C004B1D961.jpeg
    E8DEB760-B3BC-40E5-BA79-98C004B1D961.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 181

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have an old F250 that I want to convert to an overland rig. I am considering one of the high rise camper shells, like the Leer 122 or the ARE TW. I see almost no one using those taller shells. Why is that?
They're too practical. People prefer the cool cab high ones where if you build a sleeping platform it's the equivalent of being in the MRI machine.
Get what you want.

Grassland

View attachment 663506
If I were to do it again,I would not get ladder racks, opt for increased interior height instead and have the cap all the same height. ARE quality is not good, the welds are crap. I wish Callen was still around, the one I had on a previous truck was a better shell.
Good to know. I had ARE on my consider list for next fleet truck

tyler.96

Observer
Forum user Rawlk has a high top shell on his 2nd gen Ram. Also built drawers and a sleeping platform with considerable headroom.
bolton-101.jpg

box-complete-open.jpg

greg.potter

Adventurer
My first "overlander" was a 1970-something F-150 with an insulated high top cap that was about 16-18 inches higher than the truck cab and built simply like a box. I can't remember who the manufacturer was, but it was free - a cast-off from my father. The rear wall was removable and had regular man door mounted in the middle of it that opened sideways. I put a bed platform in that let two people sleep E-W in it and built a wind deflector for the front of it to improve the aerodynamics a bit. It took me all over western NA including my first trip to Moab, winter ice climbing trips and a few ski safaris. It sure was ugly, but it was very practical.

The weirdest part is that I didn't even know that I was "overlanding"!

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Forum user Rawlk has a high top shell on his 2nd gen Ram. Also built drawers and a sleeping platform with considerable headroom.
bolton-101.jpg

box-complete-open.jpg

Former? What happened to the guy? Cool 2nd Gen, it's a shame he doesn't post anymore, would have been good to see where this build went from here.

The younger crowd definitely doesn't care for toppers as it is let alone the high top models that remind them of their grandfathers truck haha. I wasn't a huge fan of the aesthetics of campers in general until I finally owned one myself and fell in love with the functionality of it. I'd prefer to go with a metal commercial topper but the one I like the best (RSI Smart Cap) doesn't offer them for 8ft long beds. RLD Designs has them but they look kind of awful on the long bed and it's throwing me off. IMHO Snugtop makes the best glass shell but I am leaning towards an ARE CX HD with the internal frame in order to gain more roof top payload capacity and durability. I am torn between t-handle metal doors instead of windoors simply from a security stand point but it's hard to argue against the ability to get a cross wind breeze through actual windows. The 8ft beds are really kind of short changed here in this arena as there aren't as many options for them out there.

trailscape

Explorer
Love mine.. It's been modified quite a bit over the past six years. I don't know which brand it was. Probably ARE or Century I think.

I think the weak point is the rear doors. They experience the most movement and flex. I personally, came to really dislike the side windows as you can see.

I coated the top half in Herculiner. 300 watts of solar, two ARB awnings. Side vent, Fantastic fan, 1" insulation all around.
img_1644-edited-jpg.663535

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It seems to me that toppers are not stylish. I have one on my F150 and love it. My wife tells me they are for old men. I think the higher the topper, the older the owner. At least according to what I see when I'm driving around.
Yeah, I am told I'm not allowed to have a canopy on my truck for that reason. Nor am I allowed to put a box of kleenex on my dash.

(Even though there is a perfect spot for it...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne