Why does no one use a high truck shell?

Willingham

I have an old F250 that I want to convert to an overland rig. I am considering one of the high rise camper shells, like the Leer 122 or the ARE TW. I see almost no one using those taller shells. Why is that?

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Cuz their not cool, they could be customized anyway you like.
Old school is cool imo, additionally a cab roof rack for extra storage
Would work nicely.
And all of it would not break the bank.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I suspect anyone who sleeps in the back of their truck understands the value in a high roof shell. I think *most* people who buy pickups are using them as SUVs or station wagons so the look of a cab high and probably the lower hit to MPG is more important.

My take is the other, it's about utility and price (the color wasn't even important, I got a good deal on an unusual paint code the dealer had sitting around).

IMG_4872_mid.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
It seems to me that toppers are not stylish. I have one on my F150 and love it. My wife tells me they are for old men. I think the higher the topper, the older the owner. At least according to what I see when I'm driving around.

*My topper is of even height with the cab. I'd say that suits my age. Maybe I'll upgrade to a hi-rise as I get older.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
From a practical/daily use the high-top shells are 10x more useful then a standard top. I've had both styles on several trucks over the years and used for pretty much everything and the high-tops win out. Our current 97 GMC has been used for huntings, camping, moving, daily driving and now hauls company inventory and still is the most useful. Good luck.

1CDC08C1-0841-4C54-9177-8978F18063DD.jpeg

Willingham

So the consensus is.. ugly-not-cool-for-old-men. In other words, form over function. I meet all of those conditions (ugly not cool old man with a huge garage) so it sounds like the high topper is the one for me. I was hoping the answer would not be that the shells cannot withstand off road conditions or the glass breaks everytime you go over a rock.

Willingham

Is that the Leer 122?

From a practical/daily use the high-top shells are 10x more useful then a standard top. I've had both styles on several trucks over the years and used for pretty much everything and the high-tops win out. Our current 97 GMC has been used for huntings, camping, moving, daily driving and now hauls company inventory and still is the most useful. Good luck.

View attachment 663484

Grassland

I have a cab height LEER shell with no side windows. 4+ years in fleet duty no windows broke and none broke yet in 3 years of light off road.
The plastic trim on the hatch breaks in the winter and the T handles seize up. Rest of it is doing fine.
The moulded fiberglass ones look best, but I'd go with a contractor grade aluminum one next time around I think.

MR. ED

Observer
So the consensus is.. ugly-not-cool-for-old-men. In other words, form over function. I meet all of those conditions (ugly not cool old man with a huge garage) so it sounds like the high topper is the one for me. I was hoping the answer would not be that the shells cannot withstand off road conditions or the glass breaks everytime you go over a rock.
I did have a window in my SnugTop HighRise(?) suddenly explode on a rough road once.....

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I dig them but only from a function standpoint. I have been considering one for my current build but I haven't committed just yet. They definitely get the "old man truck" comments from most but I really don't care what others think lol.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
And, FWIW......get the side windows. While people will go back and forth about security being able to see traffic and trees when backing up trumps the slim chance of someone breaking into your topper.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
And, FWIW......get the side windows. While people will go back and forth about security being able to see traffic and trees when backing up trumps the slim chance of someone breaking into your topper.
It's not difficult to increase security by backing the glass with wire mesh screens or bars and still keep the ability to see out and open for ventilation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles