Why does no one use a high truck shell?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I can go one level deeper on this.

My wife told me she would not have dated me if I had a topper on my truck when we first met.
Well I don't think mine put too much stock in my vehicle.

When I met my wife I was driving a beat up 185,000 mile Ford Escape XLS.... 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual.... FWD.... I've never since seen such a bare bones Escape.

But, I guess I didn't have a kleenex box on the dash....

unnamed.jpg

s.e.charles

So the consensus is.. ugly-not-cool-for-old-men. In other words, form over function. I meet all of those conditions (ugly not cool old man with a huge garage) so it sounds like the high topper is the one for me. I was hoping the answer would not be that the shells cannot withstand off road conditions or the glass breaks everytime you go over a rock.

don't forget "not enough panache for my stack of skinny jeans and artisanal beer growlers".

Willingham

If I were to do it again,I would not get ladder racks, opt for increased interior height instead and have the cap all the same height. ARE quality is not good, the welds are crap. I wish Callen was still around, the one I had on a previous truck was a better shell.

On a fiberglass ARE, where are the welds located?

Willingham

Does that huculiner go over existing paint?

Love mine.. It's been modified quite a bit over the past six years. I don't know which brand it was. Probably ARE or Century I think.

I think the weak point is the rear doors. They experience the most movement and flex. I personally, came to really dislike the side windows as you can see.

I coated the top half in Herculiner. 300 watts of solar, two ARB awnings. Side vent, Fantastic fan, 1" insulation all around.

Wallygator

Adventurer
View attachment 663506
If I were to do it again,I would not get ladder racks, opt for increased interior height instead and have the cap all the same height. ARE quality is not good, the welds are crap. I wish Callen was still around, the one I had on a previous truck was a better shell.

I am highly interested in a shell like this but would get it with a flat roof. Also would opt for the rack in order to mount a solar panel and awnings...I think? (Unless not needed.) How far does the rack go into the interior? Also you say the quality is not good. Which welds are you referring to? ARE makes a heavier version do you think that would be better or??? I'm just worried about the weight of it. Sorry for so many questions just want to get the right top the first time. Thanks

Last edited:

RyanPartridge

I’ve had my topper for around 14 years, we camp/sleep in it. It’s also my daily driver, love it. I can absolutely see the benefit in the taller style toppers. I’m 6’ 2” so there’s times more room back there would be nice.

If I didn’t have a hard side camper in the works for our future travels I would consider swapping my flat topper for something taller.

2767ef0887a734f9409fbe6368229509.jpg

Porkchopexpress

I had a regular height topper on a GMC Sierra for camping with an inflatable mattress. I didn't have a platform so the height didn't bother me but the width between wheelwells was too narrow to be comfortable for 2. I think a full size mattress is as wide as will fit. I can see how the extra height to accommodate a platform would be a significant improvement.

Edit: distance between wheel wells is about 50", full size bed is 54" x 75".

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I had a regular height topper on a GMC Sierra for camping with an inflatable mattress. I didn't have a platform so the height didn't bother me but the width between wheelwells was too narrow to be comfortable for 2. I think a full size mattress is as wide as will fit. I can see how the extra height to accommodate a platform would be a significant improvement.

Edit: distance between wheel wells is about 50", full size bed is 54" x 75".
I fit a standard queen in the back of mine, but it’s above the wheel wells so less headroom. And you have to force the tailgate closed on the Chevy size box.

pigsammy

The ARE DCU top works well for me on a work truck (2006 Ford Ranger FX4). As a large animal veterinarian, mine sees daily use in pastures, over terraces, woods. It currently has approx 100,000 miles on it and is holding up well. I have one large rear side-opening door with window and side lift doors without windows, cab high +6".
I did like my previous Gemtop better, it was steel instead of aluminum. That one had just under 1 million miles on it over the course of four trucks! But they are out of business now.
I have thought that I may keep this setup for hunting when i buy a new truck. I think it would work well for camping.

ETA I have a high topper for my Dodge 3500 as well. Not used much since I got a couple gooseneck trailers, but very roomy to camp out of.

Oh, and I'm the one who makes my truck payments, so I put what I want on them. ;)

s.e.charles

Q: for anyone who has double swing doors on their high-top - does the body tend to spread over time?

concerned if i add them to my tacoma, removing the tailgate would encourage the sidewalls to splay. of course i would add the bed stiffeners in the corners.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I would think that adding the bed stiffeners would be enough to keep the spread under control.

Hackopotomus

Observer
I posted this in another thread not too long ago. This one works well for me as it is just me and my dog traveling. Don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I bought it used on CL and got a great deal on it. Had been looking for a while but 6'6" bed models are hard to find and they are usually pretty pricey. This one was already insulated and has 1/4" cedar lining.

I'll be installing a roof fan and doing a full interior buildout. I am debating about building a custom flatbed with side boxes and setting this on top or just staying with the factory bed. The flatbed would give me a lot more storage.

I would like to also install a full cab height pass through. Actually, a walk through so I can get from the driver's seat to the back without exiting the truck.

IMG_8894.JPGIMG_8908.JPGIMG_8909.JPG

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I priced out a Leer CX HD with aluminum side windoors and rear panel along with a tool box on the drivers side windoor and it was $4900 before tax, that's nuts for a fiberglass shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94