Why disposable kitchen ware?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hey everyone,

The last couple of years I noticed an increase in “overlanders” using disposable kitchenware like plates, cups and cutlery. I have been trying to figure out why. Is it because you want to safe water (washing dishes), you forgot your gear at home and picked this stuff up at the grocery store on the way to camp? Why?
I get the water saving (for doing dishes) if your supply is very limited. Even then I’m having a tough time finding a situation to justify that. while back packing or bicycle touring I always had enough water to clean my gear.
I have seen this at the camp area at expo, at regular campgrounds where water is available. Therefore the water saving argument doesn’t count :)

At some point I actually checked out the cost for these items and was surprised how expensive these are. Why spend that extra cash on something your only use ones?

At expo west, near our campsite, the garbage cans were overflowing with disposable kitchenware. I was blown away by how wasteful this is.
This morning, I watched an “overland” video on TV that used them too. With that traveller and his expedition truck water supply was no issue. He even showed on video how “responsible” he is by disposing his garbage at a facility.

Yes, you could “burn” the paper products in the campfire. I guess that’s ok as long as nothing is coated in plastic or styrofoam.

We travel as a family of 3 and bring dishes we can wash. I don’t even have the room for a stack of paper plates….

I should mention that we see this mostly in the USA and not in Canada where we are located.

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not “pointing” fingers or lecture anyone…. Just trying to understand and make sense of this.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I didn't know this was a thing. Besides trying to be environmentally responsible, I don't normally have a fire to burn paper plates etc. Boondocking primarily, it can sometimes be days before finding a place to get rid of trash so this wouldn't work for me. Curious to see the responses on this one.

driveby

Part of it is laziness. And to my horror I actually think this is part conditioning. We were recently in a hotel where coffee was available. Both ceramic mugs and standard take away coffee cups/sleeves were next to each other. 60% + took disposable cups and didn’t leave the room. I get taking your coffee in a disposable when you drive away, but you could (and easily did ourselves) take the ceramic mug back to your room. I think the conditioning part is that “it’s compostable, it’s OK” and Starbucks for making us believe “good coffee” comes out of a disposable cup. But I think laziness is still mostly to blame.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Makes me wonder how the other half lives..
60% take disposable cups, shows over half the population
Doesn't give **********

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If this surprises you, don’t even consider looking into how many families routinely eat meals at home with disposables. I recently got into a conversation with a co-worker about “how difficult” her life has become since having a kid and how she wouldn’t survive if she had to do dishes…. “Um… suuure”.

Admittedly, as we reached much higher levels of careers, plus 3 kids the associated school sports and whatnot every night, our disposable use has gone up significantly, we might be at 15% of the time now. Ironically, not camping, there is always time to clean up when all you’re doing is relaxing!

However, everyone lives differently, and I try not to judge those that do it differently than me… for instance, my grandfather used to re-use paper plates any time he didn’t have a “wet” meal on them, and maybe a few times he did! The Great Depression created some interesting characters.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Many "Campers" we see use and burn paper plates
Most "Travelers" do not.

I can see merits and downsides to both.
Using and burning paper plates saves a ton of water, and requires no soap.
But is wasteful, and its becoming more and more rare to find an area that allows open flame.
Not to mention the potential chemicals that are being burned.

Using and cleaning requires water and soap, and is often dumped via grey water right into camp.

We use reusables, but being backpackers, our assortment of dishes, silverware, and cups by most peoples standards is minimal, at best.
The same bowl that I eat my yogurt and oats out of in the morning, is the same bowl I use for rice and beans in the evening.

Cookware is similar. Two pans, one pot, and one kettle. So even when we have dishes, its minimal.
Fewer dishes occupy less space and weighs less, and even with ALL of them dirty, it takes just a few minutes and less than a couple of gallons to clean.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
If this surprises you, don’t even consider looking into how many families routinely eat meals at home with disposables. I recently got into a conversation with a co-worker about “how difficult” her life has become since having a kid and how she wouldn’t survive if she had to do dishes…. “Um… suuure”.

Admittedly, as we reached much higher levels of careers, plus 3 kids the associated school sports and whatnot every night, our disposable use has gone up significantly, we might be at 15% of the time now. Ironically, not camping, there is always time to clean up when all you’re doing is relaxing!

However, everyone lives differently, and I try not to judge those that do it differently than me… for instance, my grandfather used to re-use paper plates any time he didn’t have a “wet” meal on them, and maybe a few times he did! The Great Depression created some interesting characters.

Interesting…. We were invited recently to someone’s home for a meal in the US. Yes, we ate of paper plates! We (all Canadians) were a bit surprised by that. As I said earlier this practice is VERY rare in Canada.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Use real silverware, real knives, my coffee mug goes with me, bought the set in 1972, actually a beer stein. Take Melmac plates (with nautical designs for sailing) and paper plates. Also take a few of those large red or blue plastic cups. Also use heavy duty paper plates, as mentioned above, these can be wiped off and reused.

Don't need water to wash plates or cups, Use a paper towel and a disinfecting wipe.

Dog does the prewash.

Take 2 or 3 pots, stainless skillet, to clean after cooking just rub some wads of grass or leaves on them to get solids off, use a wipe, polish with a paper towel. Same for the dog bowl.

If you're Army Ranger qualified, rub with dirt or sand to dry clean, you can wash your mess kit off with urine, let it dry. Before the next use, set it on an open flame, sanitize, then cook and eat out of it, repeat as needed.

Reactions: WVI

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Interesting…. We were invited recently to someone’s home for a meal in the US. Yes, we ate of paper plates! We (all Canadians) were a bit surprised by that. As I said earlier this practice is VERY rare in Canada.

I can see where that might be surprising. I would say that we use disposables more often for parties / invited groups than just family or 1-2 friends. Much of that depends on the food style or occasion. Formal holiday meal… China and place settings. BBQ / Pizza / Pool party… disposable, maybe with metal flatware. Lots of kids and risk of breakage or losing track of your plate / cup … disposable and a sharpie to write names. Lots of appetizers… disposable.

Part of this is because we only have enough porcelain plates for the family to eat 1 or 2 meals without visitors. There are 5 of us and we are down to 11 or 12 dinner plates.

I can recall as a kid going to large family events where it was the exact opposite. Major holidays required you to bring not only a dish to pass, but plates, cups, utensils AND folding chairs for your whole family!

I lived near Canada… probably a case of correlation without causation ?!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I used to be that type of camper. Had a stack of paper plates, bowls, plastic utensils, paper towels. I mainly did it for convenience due to my style. Get in camp late, setup, eat/drink/sleep, wake up for a quick breakfast and hit the trail to the next destination. I see why people do it.

Now that I'm older and have kids, everything takes much longer. Now my style is get to camp earlier to enjoy the evening, stay later in the morning, etc. I have switched up my kitchen box to be all metal kitchen ware now and sure it takes longer but the bag of trash I have at the end of the trip is now a grocery store plastic bag instead of an actual trash bag.

I started to do the kitchen ware switch up when I was super remote in the sierras an was still seeing trash.

craig333

Expedition Leader
My dog does help with the cleanup :) I also plan my cooking to use a minimum amount of dishes. Ex. I'll use premade taco shells for tacos. I'd never use those at home but it saves a lot of cleanup. Don't even need a plate. Things like cooking spaghetti at home. Now I just need to heat it, not cook it. I also cook a lot more items on the barbecue saving dirty pots and pans.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I used to be that type of camper. Had a stack of paper plates, bowls, plastic utensils, paper towels. I mainly did it for convenience due to my style. Get in camp late, setup, eat/drink/sleep, wake up for a quick breakfast and hit the trail to the next destination. I see why people do it.

Now that I'm older and have kids, everything takes much longer. Now my style is get to camp earlier to enjoy the evening, stay later in the morning, etc. I have switched up my kitchen box to be all metal kitchen ware now and sure it takes longer but the bag of trash I have at the end of the trip is now a grocery store plastic bag instead of an actual trash bag.

I started to do the kitchen ware switch up when I was super remote in the sierras an was still seeing trash.
Funny, we're the opposite. We started using the disposable stuff because of kids, lol.

When our kids plus any nieces or nephews that happen to be with us are snacking / drinking multiple times per day & night you'd end up doing dishes 12 hours a day otherwise... :LOL:

rgallant

Adventurer
I never used disposable stuff, I travel solo so a single plate, knife, fork, and maybe a spoon. A pot and frying pan to cook in. It takes very little water to wash those up maybe 1/2 a plastic water bottle (do not carry those either). A drop of soap bio-friendly soap and done, as to grey water there is not enough there to contaminate anything, but if in doubt or I need to do a heavier clean I just boil it off in an old tin can, I keep for that purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94