Why CRD Liberty no manual tranny?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
My wife and I late last year were REALLY debating getting a Jeep Liberty CRD but the only option was an auto tranny. Does anyone know why Jeep decided to not mate a manual tranny as an option? It seems those who would purchase the CRD option would be more functional folks anyway not looking for all the luxo options.

chet

island Explorer
they also only offer it in the fully loaded version. I suspect no std. due to the massive amount of torque making a std hard to find for it that is not fullsize truck size.

Up here a liberty CRD is 38,000 while a base liberty v6 is under 30 grand that buys alot of gas for that price difference! The dealer here in town has had the same one on the lot for a couple of months now.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
From what I've been reading they are having a bunch of mechanical issues with the Liberty CRD. Mileage claims are disappointing for some and not much better than my 3.7 v6 gasser?

Rumor says the Liberty CRD is not an option in 2007 and they are going to revise the engine?

As far as the manual goes, most would not order that option, just like why I don't get a manual for my 100 series.

+ d

Adventurer
a little off topic, but, rumor says the CRD is an option in 2007 grand cherokees...

i dunno if its the same engine though, but i was just reading about it over on the jeep forums

Doin_It

Adventurer
So I checked back in a past issue, Jan/05, of 4x4 Australia. Here is a quote from their test of the CRD. "There will be three trim levels and three engines on offer in Australia: the sport 2.4 litre four cylinder petrol with 6 speed manual (or 3.7 litre V6 four speed auto) ......... the other 2 also have auto's, the 2.4 has has part time command trac, the others use full time selec trac. Later on they say "the new six speed, courtesy of Merdeses Benz, has a deliciously smooth shift and is one of the more intuitive six speeders around." I wonder if it's the same six speed found in the JEEP UNLIMITED etc. I guess the key on the above is "on offer in Australia"

chet

island Explorer
I have been doing some more reading on this and apparently in Europe and Aus a 6 speed is offered (as mentioned above) so i guess its just a market thing.

On a side note I may go check a CRD out this weekend. They are offering 3-5 grand off with incentives right now so a new CRD is around 30 grand canadian which is alot less than early this year. Plus 0% for 3 years.

on the liberty forums people are getting 25-30 mpg out of them which is WAY better than a 3.7!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz