Why can't someone offer this!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Was looking for J8 photos for a post and found this:

https://www.aads-gib.com/utility-vehicle.html

carousel-2.jpg

Why can't someone offer this? I love the troopy look with the raised top and big sliding window. The extra length would make the Jeep so much more useful.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I don't think they will sell to regular people - only militaries and other governmental agencies I believe.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Start your own militia, and order as needed. :beer:

You could be the Overland Militia, "fighting" (in a legal, positive non-threatening way) to keep open access, and to re-open areas closed through the tyrannical actions of congress.
You'd need something just like that Jeep as your "Flagship". Keep it stocked with T-Shirts to sell, so people can keep their arms bare, while enjoying overland travel. :)

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Of course - the big issue there is that the JKU's load capacity is so low. With the J8 they have the leaf spring suspension and the heavier duty axle. Probably would be hard to extend the body and add a raised hard top without ending up with no cargo capacity. I suppose the upcoming jeep pickup will be the solution to these problems with a longer wheelbase and hopefully higher load ratings.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I bet jscherb could build one of these. But better.
I'd like to hear from him about the viability of a kit.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I bet jscherb could build one of these. But better.
I'd like to hear from him about the viability of a kit.

Yes I could build one. You can decide if it would be better or not, but I'd probably include more features, like swappable hard sides/roll-up soft sides like I did with my Safari Cab hardtops ;).

Do you want my opinion on technical viability or market viability? :)

There's no question of technical viability. There's nothing about the hardtop that I haven't already done as part of the JK and LJ Safari Cab projects. It's a lot of work to build molds for a custom hardtop, but other than the amount of work required, there are no technical issues I haven't already solved at least once, so doing the hardtop wouldn't be a new challenge.

A tub/frame extension is very possible to do; I'd do a bolt-on rear frame extension using a MOPAR factory rear crossmember and some rectangular tubing, I've already looked at the feasibility of that project. Using a MOPAR crossmember in the rear would ensure any factory or aftermarket components that bolt to the factory frame would also bolt to the extended frame. I'd do a tub extension in fiberglass, I'd use MOPAR replacement tub corner sheet metal as the beginning of a mold master for the extension, it wouldn't be all that much different from the tub end panel master work I did that turned into part of the Dinoot Jeep-tub trailer kit (a few pictures below). The fiberglass design would include reinforcement and mounting points onto the frame extension to give everything the necessary rigidity.

So technical feasibility - no issues, it's just a matter of doing the work.

Market feasibility? Would enough of them be sold to make the effort worthwhile? Discuss.... :).

EndPanel10.jpg

TubMockup4.jpg

With AEV selling off the brute truck to Jeep and focusing more on the camper conversions, this would make a great opportunity for someone to intro a Long Safari version conversion. I'm sure the hard top version of this would suit allot of persons idea or concepts about what this type of vehicle should look like. But I'm sticking with Greg via americanconvoy.com as we've sub'd to his mailing list and await his newly redesigned version of the fabric soft top Safari for the JK Wrangler.

According to Greg, he's wanting to create two versions of his original but in 2 colors. With the announcement of Bestop going to offer colors soft tops.. I just see the market as slow but taking off.. The only reason I say colors soft tops (from Greg's point of view) is because the classic tan top he currently manufacture doesn't sit right with our granite color jeep. Thus a dark color should be in production as soon as Greg notifies those of us whom are interested.

Except I see one critical drawback from us installing Greg's or Scherbs safari tops.. We have no head room in the garage..

Mashurst

Adventurer
Seems like the cage would need to be addressed. I can't see the value in the high top roof if the cage is still running through it. A one piece cage would be a big upgrade anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles