Why cant I find something easy?

Ric

Adventurer
OK, I have a Garmin handheld GPS and Ive been driving myself crazy, trying to find something I can use with my (windows) laptop. I've tried the GAIA free version, and its just stupid slow, and I have to keep re-positioning the map, IMHO was a total waste of time.
Im trying to find a topo map software/program or maybe even trying to find a cd, something that works like my Garmin handheld that actually tracks your position, without having to keep re-positioning the map, and its so slow I could eat lunch waiting for it to catch up lol.. Id rather not have to download a bunch of maps as from what Ive read, most programs do let you zoom into to far.
Any help from the experts? or am I just out of luck?
Thanks in advance

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Sounds like you don’t have enough processor and/or ram. I have a very average sams club laptop and it runs very fluid on it and my surface.

Ric

Adventurer
Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Sounds like you don’t have enough processor and/or ram. I have a very average sams club laptop and it runs very fluid on it and my surface.
that could be, never thought of that.. I have a HP Probook 6475b it was Cheap lol

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Windows 10 should have a built in map program that allows you to download individual states offline. Not Topo, but decent street mapping. Good Windows mapping programs seem to be on the way out. I remember having MapPoint and MS Streets and Trips back in the day. I won't say good old days because things have gotten better, just not for the Windows OS. DeLorme used to have good PC topo software from what I hear, never had it myself and now Garmin owns it, I'm not even sure it's obtainable anymore.

But the lagging sounds like a hardware problem, or your laptop is junked up with resource hungry programs. In many cases you get what you pay for in Computing, cheap hardware is slow.

For a moving map display, I highly recommend a tablet of a size you can conveniently and securely mount in a position very close to the dash so you can glance at it without turning your head away from the road. I've done the vehicle mounted laptop in the past, and was never happy with it. I don't know how you like your setup, but I'm guessing even with a nice mounting arrangement, you are either cluttering up your cab at best or prone to distraction and a loose flying object near your head at worst.

Pretty much any quality Samsung or other Android tablet runs mapping software well. (BackCountry Navigator, GAIA, Google Maps, etc) These can usually be had for around $200.

I had an iPad mini that really was the best tablet I had for nav due to it's ideal size. I later got a 10.1" Samsung Tab A, which I'm much happier with the apps and software, runs maps very well, but is a pain to mount because it's so big. Around 8" is probably best for dash area mounting, one day I may get an 8" tablet and dedicate it to vehicle nav. For now, since my tablet and phone are both Android, I run the same apps on both and mount the phone in the windscreen for moving map and to keep me on track, tablet sits between the seats and I pull it out when stopped to make plans, research the area, or figure out where I'm headed next.

Your probook should be able to run it just fine, its possible that you have a 2gb version and its running out of Ram though.
Not sure about the re-positioning of the map, is the app connecting to your garmin for GPS?

As for dead easy to use, checkout MotionX on the iPad.
Its probably (imo) the easiest app out there to use. Very large print, easy to navigate, basic software. Drag and drop from itunes and its loaded up for you to see.

I do prefer GAIA for its features and quickness of map downloads.

Ric

Adventurer
Windows 10 should have a built in map program that allows you to download individual states offline. Not Topo, but decent street mapping. Good Windows mapping programs seem to be on the way out. I remember having MapPoint and MS Streets and Trips back in the day. I won't say good old days because things have gotten better, just not for the Windows OS. DeLorme used to have good PC topo software from what I hear, never had it myself and now Garmin owns it, I'm not even sure it's obtainable anymore.

But the lagging sounds like a hardware problem, or your laptop is junked up with resource hungry programs. In many cases you get what you pay for in Computing, cheap hardware is slow.

For a moving map display, I highly recommend a tablet of a size you can conveniently and securely mount in a position very close to the dash so you can glance at it without turning your head away from the road. I've done the vehicle mounted laptop in the past, and was never happy with it. I don't know how you like your setup, but I'm guessing even with a nice mounting arrangement, you are either cluttering up your cab at best or prone to distraction and a loose flying object near your head at worst.

Pretty much any quality Samsung or other Android tablet runs mapping software well. (BackCountry Navigator, GAIA, Google Maps, etc) These can usually be had for around $200.

I had an iPad mini that really was the best tablet I had for nav due to it's ideal size. I later got a 10.1" Samsung Tab A, which I'm much happier with the apps and software, runs maps very well, but is a pain to mount because it's so big. Around 8" is probably best for dash area mounting, one day I may get an 8" tablet and dedicate it to vehicle nav. For now, since my tablet and phone are both Android, I run the same apps on both and mount the phone in the windscreen for moving map and to keep me on track, tablet sits between the seats and I pull it out when stopped to make plans, research the area, or figure out where I'm headed next.

Thanks for the reply, I wanting this for TOPO maps, off-roading and offline, the laptop was under $200 so Im sure, now that you mentioned it, its probably just not fast enough.
I have a Samsung tab3 and I did try the GAIA, but like I said, I tried the FREE version and its just slow and I had to stop and keep moving the map, it wouldn't "track" me like my handheld Garmin GPS does.
Do you have the paid version? that may be an issue with the lag on mine. Also are you running an external GPS antenna or just using the one in the unit?
Thanks for your help/reply, much appreciated.

Ric

Adventurer
Your probook should be able to run it just fine, its possible that you have a 2gb version and its running out of Ram though.
Not sure about the re-positioning of the map, is the app connecting to your garmin for GPS?

As for dead easy to use, checkout MotionX on the iPad.
Its probably (imo) the easiest app out there to use. Very large print, easy to navigate, basic software. Drag and drop from itunes and its loaded up for you to see.

I do prefer GAIA for its features and quickness of map downloads.
I haven't connected my Garmin to the laptop, I might try that. My stuff is Android so the MotionX wont work.
I appreciate the reply and may try connecting the GPS to the laptop.Thanks

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I have a Samsung tab3 and I did try the GAIA, but like I said, I tried the FREE version and its just slow and I had to stop and keep moving the map, it wouldn't "track" me like my handheld Garmin GPS does.

I'm not familiar with GAIA, I use the like $5 paid version of BackCountry Navigator, which is now the "old" version I think. Sounds like a map setting issue, probably a button to hit that locks your location to the center. Usually a button somewhere on the screen to do that. I would say it's behind the paywall, but on their website the paid features seem to be centered around mapping.

Also are you running an external GPS antenna or just using the one in the unit?

On my tablet, the internal one.

@logan_gibson is probably on to something with connecting your Garmin for the position feed. I forgot an internal laptop GPS probably is not updating every second or more like a dedicated unit would.

Come to think of it, I ran mapping on older, slower laptops. But I wasn't running Win 10.

I had MotionX as well when I had a iPad, I do miss that program as it was my favorite. I don't miss iOS. If only MotionX made the app for Android with the same UI.

Howard70

Adventurer
If you just want to manage tracks that you obtain with the Garmin device, display them on a PC without connection to the internet, & maybe do some simple routing on the PC to transfer to the Garmin; you might try Basecamp (Garmin program that runs easily on PC). You could purchase reasonable (not great, but reasonable) map coverage via CD - Garmin Topo USA (I assume it's still available). Or use GPSfiledepot.com to download free or reasonable priced more detailed topo maps. This solution would not translate to mobile devices, but might do what you need for the Garmin / PC interface.

Howard Snell

I haven't connected my Garmin to the laptop, I might try that. My stuff is Android so the MotionX wont work.
I appreciate the reply and may try connecting the GPS to the laptop.Thanks
Wait wait wait, Is there a GAIA app for windows?
Youre using the web browser and grabbing your location that way. That wont work.
GAIA Only runs on iOS or Android.
If you want to use the PC download Google Earth, and sync up your garmin to share GPS Locations with that (youtube video for how to)

Otherwise, use your android tablets, and run GAIA on that. You can manage your GPX and files with the GAIA Web based browser.
You cannot record the tracks you make with the web browser.

Ric

Adventurer
Wait wait wait, Is there a GAIA app for windows?
Youre using the web browser and grabbing your location that way. That wont work.
GAIA Only runs on iOS or Android.
If you want to use the PC download Google Earth, and sync up your garmin to share GPS Locations with that (youtube video for how to)

Otherwise, use your android tablets, and run GAIA on that. You can manage your GPX and files with the GAIA Web based browser.
You cannot record the tracks you make with the web browser.

Sorry I wasnt clear, I used GAIA on a smasung TAB 3, it was SLOWWWW, but it was the free version.

I may try google earth and syn with my Garmin, thanks.

Sorry I wasnt clear, I used GAIA on a smasung TAB 3, it was SLOWWWW, but it was the free version.

I may try google earth and syn with my Garmin, thanks.
Ahhhh okay, yeah the Tab 3 is slow. It's unfortunate. I migrated from it to an iPad 2 with cellular and was much happier. Then I migrated over to an iPad 6.

Paid 150$ for an iPad 6 cellular. 32gb.
My wife uses it for reading and work, and I'll take it when we go camping for running Gaia and MotionX.

The Google Earth on a PC is nice, but I don't like the fact I have to lug a laptop around.

You can try backcountry navigator on the tab 3, it runs slightly better. Otherwise grab a little nicer specd tablet and try that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ric

Adventurer
could I connect my garmin gpsmap 64 to the laptop as a bigger screen? meaning being able to see whats on the garmin on the laptop? I have downloaded google earth and garmin bascamp.
This is driving me crazy lol and I do appreciate all the help

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You can likely use the Garmin device as a GPS puck with Google Earth Pro (look under Tools->GPS->Realtime). I don't think Garmin offers any way to use Basecamp for live position or to mirror the screen to a laptop, though. I don't know that either is going to be easier than just using your GPSmap 64 for navigation, though.

Reactions: Ric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online