Why Can't A Pop Up Do This?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, spent days looking and can't find one example, so sorry no pic. Why can't an off road trailer, pick any that you can get inside of and the trailer body or tent extend over the tongue to the tailgate of a truck? It doesn't have to be perfectly aligned with a well designed ramp. Then the truck camper, maybe a topper, could be used with the trailer never going outside. Trailer could have inside and outside kitchen.

You can't get a queen bed, kitchen, bathroom and seating all in a 6.5' bed of an F150, much less on board air, gen set, water tank, heat and A/C, at least not without overloading it.....or can you? The trailer goes anyway to haul the bike sometimes so why not double duty?

So why not "bridge" the truck and trailer at the camp site? Any ideas, thoughts, examples? :ylsmoke:

You're right, a 150 or any other 1/2 t wouldn't have the weight capacity. But a 3/4 or 1T would, much better solution for any kind of slide in camper. I have an 8' pop-out built for the short bed and has everything you listed (well, no A/C by choice, and haven't enough need for the gen set to justify). Queen size bed, cassette toilet, 30 gallons of water, 20lbs propane, plenty of storage. Seating are is snug, but unless you get slide outs, almost any TC would be. Truck has on-board air, and there's plenty of capacity left in the truck, barely knows it's there. Granted, it's mainly just for the 2 of us,

I'm sure a trailer could be designed with an attachment to a TC, although I bet it would end up being more complex than you would like. If it was to be used in RV type parks only it would be easier to keep everything on the same level or at least have a consistent height differential. In a more rustic environment, FS Campground or boondocking, it would be much tougher to get things level (you'd probably be 25'-30'+ long) enough to get things lined up.

1R4A2582.jpg

I'm hauling a FWC Hawk in my 2012 F150. I added a leaf spring and airbags, and fully loaded it handles great. Plus I pull my M416 no problem.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 55
The old setup. I suppose you could bridge the two to some degree by moving the ladder to another side. Being level with the camper is another story...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 47

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
The hard part would be leveling and building the bridge itself. Just making a platform sturdy enough for people to crawl/walk across to the truck and still be flexible enough to adapt to the land contours, even when parked, would be a challenge. You'd have to design I whole new class of trailer I believe, with a "hallway" up along the tong that could be folded open to the truck to be used as the bed. Of course, at that point, you're moving into the same area as those truck/SUV tents you see out there with about the same results. What I would do instead if I wanted something like what you want is to just park the trailer and then park the truck/SUV with the back end towards the trailer door and build an awning with walls between the two of them.
Just my 2 cents.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hey Diamond, thanks for the comment and good point. I got what I got and I got no more, LOL. I have the '99 F150 XLT 4x4 short bed, 6.5 feet, the trailer I'm thinking about modifying is a 4x6 with about a 30 inch gate/ramp, say 4x9 in the down position to haul. It would be about 4' for the "bridge" on the tailgate. Just guessing the back truck wheels are about 8' to the trailer hub. All in all the wheel base would be just under 20', not that long.

In rougher terrain, if it gets there to camp on, I can still leave the two units detached just as any other truck trailer combo, don't have to hook the two together, but could.

What I'm thinking is a tunnel tent between the two, very similar to the European style buses using an accordion passage to the rear section. Not really an accordion, but simply ample slack to allow the two vehicles to be at an angle a few degrees off. The bridge drops down from the trailer on the tailgate, a slight bull nose on the edge of the bridge still reaches the tailgate allowing it to be offset.

The trailer can have a 12-14" basement bringing the floor higher or closer to match the truck bed height.

The tentage on the trailer can be about 6' 6" high off the trailer floor, a pop up top on the truck will be slightly higher so the tunnel attaches, zips on the back.

When I say pop up, that I don't have, i'm lifting the tonneau cover with hard/soft sides and back, the truck will have a sleeping platform. The trailer is to be a toy hauler with kitchen and bath sides, the trailer ramp will hold a couple chairs to kick back in bad weather. Trailer sides can fold down expanding the space to 12' wide, 9' long. The original trailer floor is the walk area. The ceiling is simply a rack on top of the trailer that slides out on both sides holding up the tentage......or parts could be hard walled panels. Wall or tunnel tent typical I'd say.

This would give just the two of us and the boxer plenty of room.

I'm also looking for quick and easy set up, I don't like putting up camp in the rain or the dark (but lights take care of the dark) same with packing up.

Oh, failed to mention the trailer tilts to load and unload the motorcycle, might call it the "Tilton Hilton" LOL, I suppose if the trailer were higher than the truck, stabilizers might be on the rear too.

Your thoughts?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
The old setup. I suppose you could bridge the two to some degree by moving the ladder to another side. Being level with the camper is another story...

Nice set up, I've talked with my GF aout the RTT route, she doesn't like ladders and feels more secure sleeping in the truck bed, at our age we don't jump down. That would be a good solution if we were younger and more agile. Thanks for you thoughts, any more?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
The hard part would be leveling and building the bridge itself. Just making a platform sturdy enough for people to crawl/walk across to the truck and still be flexible enough to adapt to the land contours, even when parked, would be a challenge. You'd have to design I whole new class of trailer I believe, with a "hallway" up along the tong that could be folded open to the truck to be used as the bed. Of course, at that point, you're moving into the same area as those truck/SUV tents you see out there with about the same results. What I would do instead if I wanted something like what you want is to just park the trailer and then park the truck/SUV with the back end towards the trailer door and build an awning with walls between the two of them.
Just my 2 cents.

LOL, common sense strikes again! That's a very good suggestion, just move the truck. But isn't either end going to be about the same, an awning attached? I could probably park close enough to step out of the bed onto the trailer.

As for the bridge, being hinged at the trailer it will give some as you crawl or walk over it, 1/2 inch ply on 3 or 4, 3/4 square tubes with 3/8 ply on the underneath side should hold us both. What about a hand rail? I'd hate to fall off the bridge into my tentage.

I added a tongue jack yesterday, being as small as it was I didn't need one before, but it seems more stable attached to the truck. The generator will most likely end up on the front of the trailer tongue storage under the bridge along with an ATV winch and battery, I think there is enough room below the truck tailgate. That means too, that I don't have to get out to mess with the generator, I can reach under the bridge by removing the tentage on the side of the bridge . Just ensure exhaust is vented away from the enclosure so we don't wake up dead! This may be a noise issue too, maybe a remote kill switch on the generator might be better.

As for a different class of trailer, never thought of it like that, I guess it could be, a tag along folding room that tilts.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
After pulling the trailer with an old 32" door laying out the back of the truck 48" I made some practical observations along with some math. I'd never set up a tent on a 2.5/12 slope and the rise is 10" @ 4ft. After looking at hundreds of pictures of off road trailer camp set ups, like the ones above, I'm not seeing anyone camping on boat ramp terrain, so the vertical range should never exceed 20" if I parked with the ball of my hitch at the ridge with one vehicle up hill and the other down hill. From experience in the Ozarks where we have hills I just don't recall ever setting up a camp in such terrain. So the vertical range is acceptable even at that extreme.

The horizontal range with 12" over the end of the tailgate, at 32" wide bridge allows the same width as an entrance over the bridge with the trailer jack-knifed at about 45 degrees. Increasing the overhang of the bridge over the tailgate and arching the end of the bridge keeps the corner of a squared off edge moving forward toward te front of the truck, looks like trim to taste and increase the bridge overhang. The door is still centered and there is still roughly 32" of bridge overhang. Basically, no effect from straight to offset.

The bridge can fold down from the front of the trailer, or by detaching the deck and hooking it at slightly different elevations of the door frame on the trailer, the slope is changed to different levels. Could get fancy and employ a jacking arrangement for one end.

Uneven twisting is pretty much solved as it is if the vehicles were detached with stabilizers and blocking wheels, air shocks might be nice. But, I haven't seen camps set up on rough terrain, at least not with trucks and trailers.

So, what's the advantage? Hooking up at the rear vs. the front:

In the cold, wet windy weather you don't need to disconnect the trailer entering from the front, don't mess with the jack stand, hitch, lights and muddy chains.

Quicker set up, drive up and stop, drop the tailgate, lift the top, lower the bridge, pull out the "tube" and zip the door with the front entrance.

Rear entrance, select a site to orient the trailer allowing the truck to back up to the rear entrance, disconnect the trailer, move the truck into position. Drop the tail gate, lift the top, set out your awning and walls, connect the tentage to the trailer and the truck camper.

You could employ a rear entrance like the front bridge and tent tube, but you still have more steps to attend to as opposed to just stopping and connecting. Tear down is in reverse so you aren't exposed as long to hit the trails. I'm guessing the system can be deployed in less than a minute.

You don't have to connect, it's an option, so the truck is still free to use, just disconnect, close the tailgate, drop the top and drive.

I know all about getting out of my sleeping bag or bed getting dressed to go out to the potty tent or facility. All enclosed, just go as you do at home. You aren't exposed and no one can see you anyway in populated areas. (I know some campers will go right out the door but I'd rather not walk in it in the morning).

Pick any holiday camping and boating weekend, in the Ozarks you're guaranteed to have rain, never fails. I'd rather crawl out of bed, move down to the trailer and have eggs and bacon cooking inside. Now, on nice days, lunch and dinner can be from the outdoor kitchen sliding out of the trailer.

IMO, a connection between the truck and trailer is worth the effort. I've never seen this arrangement for any pop up camper or hard side either for that matter. So, why not? :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Looks like someone already patented the idea.

http://www.patentlysilly.com/patent.php?patID=6840529

US20040075239A1-20040422-D00000.png

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral

Hey, good find on both! The GMC space vehicle is awesome, but I recall riding on a public bus in Germany in the 70's with the same pivoting hitch set up, two buses basically with one as a trailer. The camper/trailer above is the accordion set up used with the bus, guess the patent here was unique enough to receive it.

My idea isn't the same really, I don't want to pull the trailer with any bridging attached during travel, some may have thought that is what I meant. I'm just wanting to attach while stationary, with a fold down or pull out bridge.

I did find a few front folding trailers, the Aussie Wild Bore is the closest and has a large wind forward, the only thing would be to unzip that window and attach to your camper with additional tentage and lay a bridge down.

Thanks for posting these up Clutch! I'm still looking for ideas! :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior