Why buy a land cruiser?

dman93

Adventurer
All I can add here is that we owned an 80 Series, a rather rare trim combo of triple-locked, sunroof and 3rd row seats, but cloth upholstery on non-power seats. Added an OME lift, joined TLCA and did the Rubicon twice in the ‘90’s … probably the first 80 to do it, certainly the first at a Rubithon event. Also daily drove it for years, took many road trips and even more kiddie carpool runs, taking advantage of its 8 seat belts. But by 2008 when we sold it, it felt old, slow, thirsty and not super safe as a family vehicle (though our son did learn to drive in it). And - get this - it took a long time to sell, even in the heart of the SF Bay Area, and for WAY under $10K with 140K miles. For a long time I didn’t miss it, and think my current Tacoma is better suited for what I want, but when Toyota came out with the Anniversary?Heritage? 200 Series I was very tempted.

nickw

Adventurer
We’ll they’re all over the place in Colombia and that market isn’t nearly as cashed up as the US.
They also don't have the 25% chicken tax, I'm guessing they don't have the crash requirement that add $$ but more importantly Toyota's have a much longer history of being the common mans 4x4 down there.....Jeep has had that market since right after WW2 here in the US.

nickw

Adventurer
All I can add here is that we owned an 80 Series, a rather rare trim combo of triple-locked, sunroof and 3rd row seats, but cloth upholstery on non-power seats. Added an OME lift, joined TLCA and did the Rubicon twice in the ‘90’s … probably the first 80 to do it, certainly the first at a Rubithon event. Also daily drove it for years, took many road trips and even more kiddie carpool runs, taking advantage of its 8 seat belts. But by 2008 when we sold it, it felt old, slow, thirsty and not super safe as a family vehicle (though our son did learn to drive in it). And - get this - it took a long time to sell, even in the heart of the SF Bay Area, and for WAY under $10K with 140K miles. For a long time I didn’t miss it, and think my current Tacoma is better suited for what I want, but when Toyota came out with the Anniversary?Heritage? 200 Series I was very tempted.
That's a cool story - I remember when the 80's kinda started to be noticed with the 4x4 community....or at least were becoming affordable in the late 90's very early 2000's...they got a lot of pushback, not 'real' cruisers, soccer mom rigs, etc (just like the 100, 200 & the 300 now) but I do remember some hardcore enthusiasts that were wheeling them.

I remember the exact same thing happening to the 100 series and there was a guy wheeling them hard over on IH8MUD when everybody was convinced the IFS would explode if you took it offroad.

Then the 200 isn't any good...oh wait.

Rinse and repeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94