Why buy a land cruiser?

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Partially because they don't have full size 3/4 - 1 ton trucks in their market. In a market with full size pickups it's a tough sell for a utilitarian rig like a LC that gets sim MPG, while the domestic rigs have a stronger drivetrain, more power, more room, more payload and more towing.

We do get some of the American stuff here, but it's eye-wateringly expensive as it goes through a 2nd stage manufacturer to convert from left to right hand drive.

Legislatively, they also often creep up a driving licence bracket (Car licences are upto 4500kg) and many parking spaces are 6m long maximum, so they are less attractive on that. HOWEVER, as an alternative to a 4500kg small truck (think Isuzu/Mistsubishi) for towing a gooseneck horse/stock trailer, they are quite common, but actually not as popular as a work vehicle - you lose a 3m tray with the American stuff.

Ozark_Prowler

They do different things for sure, both have strengths. For total cost of ownership I’d bet a 60k LC is cheaper than a 44k domestic.
I’d say the drivetrains probably have similar reliability if we’re talking same era. Idk about interiors, electronics etc tho

nickw

Adventurer
Maybe so. I just know my neighbor sells used trucks for a living and says those things are junk after 100k- and he is not a brand specific dodge hater
LOL - gotta love people putting mileage "limits" on rigs, while a Toyota is "Just getting broken in" Rams are "junk"....it's ridiculous.

nickw

Adventurer
Don’t turn this into domestic full size is better. I would tether spend 60 grand on a land cruiser than a domestic truck.
Sorry if it came across that way - I'm just stating some observations I believe to be correct from a utility perspective. I think if Aus had access to our full size trucks at the same price and had an infrastructure to support it (cheap fuel, large parking spots, no additional taxation) the LC's would probably be much less desirable.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I know my in-laws tried swapping their farm trucks over to the big Hemi's a few years back in an attempt to reduce costs on the fleet and aside from the decreased torque for towing, they experienced a lot more reliability issues with them as they approached 100K than they did with the CTD's. As you can probably guess, they switched back over to diesels.

nickw

Adventurer
We do get some of the American stuff here, but it's eye-wateringly expensive as it goes through a 2nd stage manufacturer to convert from left to right hand drive.

Legislatively, they also often creep up a driving licence bracket (Car licences are upto 4500kg) and many parking spaces are 6m long maximum, so they are less attractive on that. HOWEVER, as an alternative to a 4500kg small truck (think Isuzu/Mistsubishi) for towing a gooseneck horse/stock trailer, they are quite common, but actually not as popular as a work vehicle - you lose a 3m tray with the American stuff.
I chatted to a couple guys in Melbourne when I was there in 2019 who had full size trucks, I was surprised to see them, one was a Raptor and the other was a Ram. They said they were like $140k.

You guys also have very strict limitations with tire size and lift correct?

I know I've seen some really cool RAM 1500 - 3500 builds out of Aus, they seemed to be highly regarded:

nickw

Adventurer
I know my in-laws tried swapping their farm trucks over to the big Hemi's a few years back in an attempt to reduce costs on the fleet and aside from the decreased torque for towing, they experienced a lot more reliability issues with them as they approached 100K than they did with the CTD's. As you can probably guess, they switched back over to diesels.
Then if you go read the forums (with it's own set of biases) - many many issues with the CTD's from longtime owners, many are going back to gas rigs.....not to mention that large decrease in payload capacity, which is typically more of an issue with the 3/4t rigs....

I'm not trying to turn this into a domestic vs Toyota thing, just pointing out some quantitative data as to why a stripped down LC is not viable in the US....for better or worse, I don't see how they'd sell a single one to anybody but some hardcore enthusiasts with money. The people I do know that have modern LC's fall into (2) categories, well off enthusiasts or well to do folks from areas where they grew up around a strong Toyota culture (middle east, south America, etc)

nickw

Adventurer
They do different things for sure, both have strengths. For total cost of ownership I’d bet a 60k LC is cheaper than a 44k domestic.
Just driving it around on the street as a daily - probably......but are you talking Expedition use with a 2000 lb pop camper + ancillaries? Towing a 7000 lb commercial utility trailer? The need for 2 or 3 LC70 utes vs a single full size pickup?

Functionally I don't see how it would work in the US, again this is not domestic vs Toyota but just an observation on culture and logistics in the US vs places like Aus. I'd say based on the fact we haven't seen them here and the introduction of the Tundra....Toyota probably sees it the same way.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Then if you go read the forums (with it's own set of biases) - many many issues with the CTD's from longtime owners, many are going back to gas rigs.....not to mention that large decrease in payload capacity, which is typically more of an issue with the 3/4t rigs....

I'm not trying to turn this into a domestic vs Toyota thing, just pointing out some quantitative data as to why a stripped down LC is not viable in the US....for better or worse, I don't see how they'd sell a single one to anybody but some hardcore enthusiasts with money. The people I do know that have modern LC's fall into (2) categories, well off enthusiasts or well to do folks from areas where they grew up around a strong Toyota culture (middle east, south America, etc)

I live in South Texas, every other person drives a diesel truck down here and I am on my 6th one so it's safe to say that I get quite a bit of time around them and their owners. Now, everyone's experience and opinions are relative to their exposure but it's safe to say that "in my experience" a diesel will have a longer and more reliable life span if worked heavily than the equivalent gasser HD. Where diesels run into issues is when they are treated like grocery getters. Payload is always sacrificed in a 3/4-ton which is why I am happy that I made the move to a 1-ton, my 3500 has a payload of nearly 4,600 lbs, granted you do sacrifice ride quality for the sake of more payload but priorities be what they are lol.

While I agree with you that a stripped down LC probably wouldn't sell well here in most regions (it would if they replaced the 4Runner with such a vehicle) there would still be certain niche enthusiasts such as myself and others here that would jump at the chance to own such a vehicle. Our domestic HD trucks have a lot going against them in other parts of the world, many of which you already highlighted, but I don't think that they'd ever compete in terms of long term reliability or resale beyond this current markets insanity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94