Why are other full size SUV's not used in overlanding/offroading as often as Forerunner/Landcruiser?

D

Deleted member 9101

A V8 Lexus Camry wagon with the ugliest face ever to boot. Oh and that thing gets 14mpg to btw. Three friends have them. Number one complaint is the horrible mileage number 2 complaint its ugly. Why did they buy it? Because its a lexus.

Much like a 1st gen Tundra... You suck all that gas and haul very little ass.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The 4runner "overland" movement involves ordering all the coolest doodads that everybody on ExPo says are the best, running up the credit card having the local offroad shop bolt all the crap on and then posing at the mall in front of ********'s sporting goods.

The other makes of SUV owners are out there camping and enjoying the outdoors...

Isn’t that the Jeep and diesel owner movement as well? Every single wrangler I see is overlanded out. And every single diesel I see is lifted with ************ bag exhaust.

billiebob

If you want to tinker buy a Taco or Wrangler. They are after market kings. If you want a trail ready reliable 4x4 for overlanding buy a Taco, Wrangler, or just about any other off roader. Most are very capable and reliable and just need routine maintenance. If you like to tinker and custom fab stuff, buy any of the off brands. Add custom aluminium stuff to a Nissan Frontier.... everyone will oooh and ahh. Build a '69 Commando into an overlander and even the Taco guys might notice.

a03c3728a55d6fd5fb75cf57fa107e07.jpg

leeleatherwood

The 4runner "overland" movement involves ordering all the coolest doodads that everybody on ExPo says are the best, running up the credit card having the local offroad shop bolt all the crap on and then posing at the mall in front of ********'s sporting goods.

The other makes of SUV owners are out there camping and enjoying the outdoors...

I went to an overland event in the Bay Area in CA looking for someone who could fabricate a custom bumber for me. 90% of the Toyota's had upwards of $10,000 bolted onto them, yes, $10,000 easily. Nemo RTT's, Alucab RTT's, ARB Fridges, Warn Winches, Bumpers, MaxxTrax,etc etc. None of them had any pinstripes, not a single scratch on their Rocksliders, Skidplates or Bumpers. Not a spec of desert dust, etc. Essentially they never left pavement.

I found many producers of bumpers there, but none of them wanted the work. They were all saying they are backlogged on the off the shelf Toyota crap for 6+ months out.

Last edited:

jackflash

Observer
Had a 1994 Ford Bronco, no mods. Had 245k miles on original engine and trans. Never Stranded Me.

Had a 1998 Ford Expedition, no mods. Drove the piss outa that thing. Actually smashed the entire driver side into a rock wall making the rear door unable to open. Continue to drive it like that for years after. Trails in TX, NM, OK, CO, UT, AZ, Etc. Had 289k miles on original engine and trans. Never Stranded Me.

Had a 2011 JKUR, no mods. Drove it across the country a few times, think Trans American Trail. So many trails in CO and UT I lost count. Never Stranded Me.

Had a 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X, only mod was the OME suspension, that I put 100k miles on it. About 30% off pavement hauling stuff (not easy on it by any means). Never Stranded Me.

Current ride is a 2019 Ford F250 4x4 CC SWB XLT Gasser Work Truck with the Heavy Payload package and FX4 package. Needed more payload than the Nissan could handle. Did most the trails out near Lake City and Silverton in CO. Ran the White Rim Trail in UT. All in stock form on stock tires. Never had an issue, never got hung up or stuck.

I have found that it doesn't really matter what you drive. If you do proper (anal) maintenance, a vehicle will last a long time (be durable and reliable). Nothing is reliable if you are not following the manufactures maintenance schedules. Most have normal duty and severe duty schedules that you are suppose to follow depending on driving conditions.

I find it funny when people discuss Toyota, they almost automatically think reliable. Lived over seas for a number of years and have seen plenty of broke down Toyotas. Again nothing is reliable without proper maintenance.

So far I am really liking the F250. Don't know many vehicles out there that could haul a 10k lb trailer with 2k lbs in the bed from CA to TX at 80mph without breaking a sweat. Then turn around and run the White Rim Trial in UT for some family camping.

With all that said, I also own a Toyota 4Runner. I would not say that it has been any more or less reliable than the other vehicles I have owned. I really like it, but for "overlanding" it is not as capable as the F250, in my opinion. It is great at what it is, but it is a light duty truck. Strap on all the gear that "overlanders" do and you pretty much have eliminated the payload, unless you start upgrading every other part on it. By the time you've done that, you got a lot of money in a light duty truck at the end of the day. Not worth it to me.

We use the 4Runner as a grocery getter, around the town family hauler. It is easier to drive than an Expedition or Tahoe around town. It is a true body on frame SUV, unlike new Explorers and others. And is an all around great vehicle. I actually love driving it.

However, when it is time to go overlanding (camping) in the back country, we always seem to take the F250 over the 4Runner. It is just better all around for that type of travel and has been able to handle any trail we have taken it down so far.

TruckPic1.PNG

lilkia

I dont know, I have literally abused my k2500 pickup and its still running strong at 300k. I mean abused, I bought it with a few thousand miles on it pretty much new. Since then 20k mile oil changes were not uncommon with whatever oil was on sale, I cant even think of the last time I changed belts or hoses or plugs or greased anything. The tranny hasnt had a filter change in 100k miles. Finally replaced axle seals and changed diff oil at 275k. Brakes and tires were changed as needed but other than that its been used hard. Dozens of trips towing a 9000k lb boat halfway across the country, mini ex or skid steer through the mountains on a highboy trailer and a 15k lb gooseneck hay trailer. Not to mention all the abuse offroad on camping and hunting trips. Ill stick with domestic hd fullsize all day long.

NoDak

Not sure how domestic trucks can compete with the cargo capacity of a Toyota, that's 30 people in the back.

more-than-30-people-pile-in-the-back-of-a-pickup-truck-for-a-ride-picture-id167505052

My old S10 could do that too if I put those same dump truck spring packs in it. Wow.

justbecause

perpetually lost
as a previous land cruiser owner and expecting to soon be super duty owner the difference I see is, land cruiser step 1, spend thousands of dollars to take care of all the expensive maintenance the previous owner neglected, or take out a small mortgage to buy a new land cruiser (same for 4runners) spend thousands of more dollars upgrading the suspension, possibly cooling, brake systems, addressing inadequate interior layout/organization etc.

vs buying a super duty, step 1, but a super duty, step 2, go out and enjoy it.

dman93

Adventurer
I’ve been watching the Icelandic police drama Trapped on TV. Filmed on location in Iceland, mostly in a small town and surrounding rural area. Lots of scenes in cars, with cars and just vehicles in the background. There are lots of Japanese SUV’s and pickups, quite a few with big lifts, huge tires and wide flares for over-the-snow use. But what surprised me was the number of American vehicles, from old and newer Ram pickups, lots of F150/250 and even the original US-style Rangers and early Explorers, Tahoe’s and Escalades, and a whole fleet of police Durango’s used by the SWAT team. I even noticed a few Tundra’s in the background.

Obviously distances there are short, but the terrain looks rough and the winter seems brutal. BTW the main character drives a diesel Isuzu Trooper. Highly recommend the show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles