Why are other full size SUV's not used in overlanding/offroading as often as Forerunner/Landcruiser?

Kaisen

Explorer
I will add that brake line is in a **** spot on the photo... jsut asking for issues.

You mean the steel encased parking brake cable? Seriously?

Edit: I'll just add that in nearly 20 years owning 7 GMT800/900 (same chassis underneath) and well over a million miles I've never damaged anything hanging underneath my Suburban 2500s, Denali XL, Avalanche 2500 or Silverado/Sierra HD Crews. Not once.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Brand loyalty aside if you haven't noticed the stuff dangling off the frame and differential of some GM products I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe they've gotten better but an Envoy or 1st gen Colorado had some parts not tucked high enough for my liking. If ALL fanboys weren't so blinded by brand bias these threads would be more fruitful

The Isuzu platforms aren't what we're discussing. Full size trucks, full size SUVs specifically. I don't care what Isuzu decided for a small/mid platform. I'd never own one. And they've been discontinued for over a decade

Last edited:

roving1

Brand loyalty aside if you haven't noticed the stuff dangling off the frame and differential of some GM products I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe they've gotten better but an Envoy or 1st gen Colorado had some parts not tucked high enough for my liking. If ALL fanboys weren't so blinded by brand bias these threads would be more fruitful

GM bolts modules and cooling hoses and brake lines and fuel lines and you name it places that are spectacularly vulnerable. Clearly serious off road use is last on their list of priorities even compared to the other domestics. As nice as some of the off road packages are in terms of the suspension tuning until they clean sheet their designs and stop dangling bits everywhere they are not even making my consideration list of vehicles.

Toyaddict

GM bolts modules and cooling hoses and brake lines and fuel lines and you name it places that are spectacularly vulnerable. Clearly serious off road use is last on their list of priorities even compared to the other domestics. As nice as some of the off road packages are in terms of the suspension tuning until they clean sheet their designs and stop dangling bits everywhere they are not even making my consideration list of vehicles.

Weird what you notice when you don't worship GM.

Toyaddict

The Isuzu platforms aren't what we're discussing. Full size trucks, full size SUVs specifically. I don't care what Isuzu decided for a small/mid platform. I'd never own one. And they've been discontinued for over a decade

You aren't in control of the thread fella. I can make a statement based off observations if I want, the thread has certainly meandered farther off topic than that. Seems a nerve has been struck regarding GM and their dangly bits (including full size models). I find the Lexus picture kind of odd, I don't remember seeing the op mention a Lexus. And we do want to be SPECIFIC right?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You aren't in control of the thread fella. I can make a statement based off observations if I want, the thread has certainly meandered farther off topic than that. Seems a nerve has been struck regarding GM and their dangly bits (including full size models). I find the Lexus picture kind of odd, I don't remember seeing the op mention a Lexus. And we do want to be SPECIFIC right?
A V8 Lexus Camry wagon with the ugliest face ever to boot. Oh and that thing gets 14mpg to btw. Three friends have them. Number one complaint is the horrible mileage number 2 complaint its ugly. Why did they buy it? Because its a lexus.

Toyaddict

A V8 Lexus Camry wagon with the ugliest face ever to boot. Oh and that thing gets 14mpg to btw. Three friends have them. Number one complaint is the horrible mileage number 2 complaint its ugly. Why did they buy it? Because its a lexus.

Sounds like your friends have more money than brains. I feel sorry for people trying that hard to impress others.

TwinDuro

Huh, for some reason I've been thinking for years that the LC200 had IRS... I obviously haven't been paying close enough attention. It is a nice looking rig IMHO (not a fan of the ground effects/skirting but see that those are optional), but the price always kills me, but that is also true about most new domestic full size SUVs as well and also I'm not in the bracket to own those types of vehicles, so thats neither here nor there. I can see times and places for both types of rigs and it absolutely depends on individual usage IMHO, always has and always will. This will always be disputed. It sure is an interesting conversation and I enjoy seeing comments from folks from around the world. :)

I can only draw from my personal experience. As they say, your mileage may vary. For three different years (and hopefully more in the future) I was very fortunate to be able to volunteer as crew with the Sonora Rally (Road to Dakar) in Sonora, Mexico. I paid close attention to all of the support vehicles being used in the often brutal terrain of the Altar desert and surrounding areas. What I noticed was a fairly diverse selection of vehicles, including what I myself was using with friends: a stock 2005 Chevy K2500HD CCSB, a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback (heavily modified) and a (lightly modified) 2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport. Other friends were utilizing older full-size Dodge heavy-duty pickups, a G-Wagen, a newer Range Rover, Ford Raptors new and old as well as various generations of Toyota trucks and SUVs off all sizes. All of these vehicles worked well and all had certain downsides as well as positives from what I saw. The Rally director, who having competed in multiple Dakars, Baja 1000s and many other races as a seasoned rally/off-road racing veteran has what I consider to be a curious rig thats highly capable and goes everywhere. It's a maybe 5-6 year old Dodge 1500 crew-cab short bed with the 5.7 hemi, some nice suspension (can't remember exact specs, but Fox or Icon big coil-overs with maybe 3-4" of lift) on reasonable sized tires (34s I think). That rig has done some things that blow my mind yet (like towing a race side-by-side missing a hub/wheel out of the dunes with the front of the SxS in the bed) is pretty simple on paper. None of these rigs failed outright to my knowledge (all seemingly have small problems from time to time), used reasonably, they all work well.

I guess that begs the question that this thread asks and I believe it's too varied a question to really answer on a global basis and makes sense to look at more regionally since the overlanding rigs I see in WA state, vs different parts of north america differ wildly. I do see plenty of landcruisers, 4runners and Xterras set up as obvious overland rigs up here, but I also see lots of Jeeps, various domestic pickups, vintage rigs and the occasional oddity (a first generation 4x4 Mazda MPV van for example, which was surprisingly capable). Again, I have no answers, only observations and more questions... :unsure:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sounds like your friends have more money than brains. I feel sorry for people trying that hard to impress others.
Given like me they bought their cars not leased or financed and are all very smart well paid people I don’t find that to be the case. They don’t worry about car stuff its not important to them they simply buy the same brand every 10yrs. They don’t shop cars “its a waste of time” in their eyes.

lilkia

Truth be told in the US far more full size domestics are used for offroading and camping as are land rovers or range rovers or whatever other foreign truck. The disparity come from having a rig that is already capable without having all these bling bling look at me "modifications" that is so common with the Toyota foreign market crowd. These vehicles (full size domestics) have literally been doing this for decades, since 1935 to be exact. The boom came about right after ww2 using the jeep and again the suburban as returning GIs found the urge to venture into the great unknown once again. It is only recently 10 years or so that the boom has "apparently" hit the toyota market due to all of the addons and the more recent usage of the stupid term "Overlanding". Im not saying toyotas havent been used for longer than that just that its become more popular especially with the "I need to have an Identity crowd" that feels the need to advertise what they do.
Use my vehicles for examples. Fullsize 3/4 ton truck and suburban. Other than larger tires, small lifts and lights both look like stock trucks. However the truck has probably 70k miles of offroading, camping, hunting, miles on it. The burb is new to me but has about 5k miles of the same use on it out of the 18k since I bought it including big bend, moab, the PNW and NE. Theyre both as capable as any toyota they just dont scream Im an "overlander".
So I guess the short answer to your question is, there are just as many fullsize vehicles used they just arent as apparent.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Truth be told in the US far more full size domestics are used for offroading and camping as are land rovers or range rovers or whatever other foreign truck. The disparity come from having a rig that is already capable without having all these bling bling look at me "modifications" that is so common with the Toyota foreign market crowd. These vehicles (full size domestics) have literally been doing this for decades, since 1935 to be exact. The boom came about right after ww2 using the jeep and again the suburban as returning GIs found the urge to venture into the great unknown once again. It is only recently 10 years or so that the boom has "apparently" hit the toyota market due to all of the addons and the more recent usage of the stupid term "Overlanding". Im not saying toyotas havent been used for longer than that just that its become more popular especially with the "I need to have an Identity crowd" that feels the need to advertise what they do.
Use my vehicles for examples. Fullsize 3/4 ton truck and suburban. Other than larger tires, small lifts and lights both look like stock trucks. However the truck has probably 70k miles of offroading, camping, hunting, miles on it. The burb is new to me but has about 5k miles of the same use on it out of the 18k since I bought it including big bend, moab, the PNW and NE. Theyre both as capable as any toyota they just dont scream Im an "overlander".
So I guess the short answer to your question is, there are just as many fullsize vehicles used they just arent as apparent.
Most people out in the sticks don’t like to advertise that their vehicle has $1000’s bolted to it.
The Overlander bolt on bling trend is very much a urban weekend warrior thing. As is the biggest credit balance owed UTV toyhauler mobile party wagon trend. Which I suspect is finished given the unemployment claims right now.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
The 4runner "overland" movement involves ordering all the coolest doodads that everybody on ExPo says are the best, running up the credit card having the local offroad shop bolt all the crap on and then posing at the mall in front of ********'s sporting goods.

The other makes of SUV owners are out there camping and enjoying the outdoors...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier