Why are other full size SUV's not used in overlanding/offroading as often as Forerunner/Landcruiser?

85_Ranger4x4

I can tell you why I drive a Taco... More specifically I can tell you why I drive a Taco and not a Suburban or an Expedition. There's me, my wife, and my dog. I go on a lot of trips that are just me and a buddy in their own vehicle. What the hell would I do with a truck that can fit 19 people comfortably?

That was us until last year. Now we need room for a car seat and baby gear on top of everything else...

As for trucks in the same/similar class; Why not a Nissan? Hate the interiors, everything looks 30 years old and everything feels cheap as hell.

Not by a long shot. 30 years ago interiors looked a lot neater :ROFLMAO: (IMO)

Well if the recent leaks are even close to accurate there will be a lot more (of a) domestic SUV being used like the Toyotas.... Man does that thing look ************. I'm eager to hear all the official specs on it.
f4ab6f89abd88cae403761e7019c7e48.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Agreed, I cautiously optimistic it has a decent back seat for family duty and they hoping they don't go stupid on the pricing.

phsycle

Adventurer
Well if the recent leaks are even close to accurate there will be a lot more (of a) domestic SUV being used like the Toyotas.... Man does that thing look ************. I'm eager to hear all the official specs on it.
f4ab6f89abd88cae403761e7019c7e48.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I hadn't seen that picture before. Looks like a winner. Now only if it came in a manual....

Agreed, I cautiously optimistic it has a decent back seat for family duty and they hoping they don't go stupid on the pricing.

If it's big enough to comfortably seat 3 kids across..... I may have my next vehicle. But probably not for 2 years until pricing calms down. You know dealers will mark them up like crazy.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I hadn't seen that picture before. Looks like a winner. Now only if it came in a manual....
I think the rumor is that it's supposed to?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Maybe I'll buy one, who knows? I was hoping for solid axles all round though. Especially with it being a convertible, it would make parting with my Jeep even easier.

Kevin108

Explorer
I've just skimmed the threads, so I might have missed it, but Colorado K5 is one of the biggest groups around for built, capable full-size rigs. https://ck5.com/

My question is why is one a fiddle and another a violin.

My little brother lives in Johnson City, TN and plays a variety of bluegrass instruments. He says violin music is played on strings, while fiddle music is played on "strangs".

Also, perfect pitch with a banjo is when you can throw it straight in a dumpster without hitting the sides.

0PfMfYb.gif

Last edited:

TwinDuro

This has been a fun and interesting thread... I've always been curious about how perspectives change over time and what vehicles folks get drawn towards and also what vehicles trend in certain groups. My current truck is a '92 K1500, regular cab, short bed with a 5.7 TBI and NV4500 5-speed. There are plenty of things I like/dislike about it (as I also did with my similar era Toyota and Nissan) but the one thing that does hold true, as others have mentioned in this thread, is relatively easy/cheap parts availability in the US, Baja and Canada.

For the '92 K1500, it's amazing how inexpensive it is to keep on the road. Parts are so inexpensive and available that it's almost funny. I like knowing in the back of my mind that if the 272k mile original engine (still running strong, knock on wood) throws a rod, that I can have a new long block delivered for $1800 just about anywhere in the continental US and that swapping it out in a pinch is totally doable with a reasonable selection of tools. There are also a scad of them in every junkyard I've ever been to, including in Baja, which is convenient. With that said, it's a GM product of the early '90s. Having spent entirely too much quality time with old farm equipment, this doesn't bother me. For some, it would be a nightmare.

_BUT_ as far as overlanding "cred" goes, it's pretty severely lacking. Not many "cool" parts are available compared to most platforms and you really have to get creative with certain things. I guess with anything in life, it depends on what you're actually doing and where you're actually going with your rig. I have no answers, only questions, lol.

phsycle

Adventurer
...BUT_ as far as overlanding "cred" goes, it's pretty severely lacking. Not many "cool" parts are available compared to most platforms and you really have to get creative with certain things. I guess with anything in life, it depends on what you're actually doing and where you're actually going with your rig. I have no answers, only questions, lol.

I admit, I was enamored with RTT's and Rotopax when I first saw them 10 years ago. Now, I think the whole "Overland" fad is silly. It's turned into what big-winged, coffee-canned, stickered up Civics were in the early 2000's. More style points than actual function.
No cred lost on your rig. It's doing what it was designed to do, without all the make-up.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I admit, I was enamored with RTT's and Rotopax when I first saw them 10 years ago. Now, I think the whole "Overland" fad is silly. It's turned into what big-winged, coffee-canned, stickered up Civics were in the early 2000's. More style points than actual function.
No cred lost on your rig. It's doing what it was designed to do, without all the make-up.

I still think they're cool, but just not absolutely required like how it seemed a few years back. They weren't required back then either, but just felt like they were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne