Why are other full size SUV's not used in overlanding/offroading as often as Forerunner/Landcruiser?

ttengineer

Adventurer
@Grassland @phsycle

Thank you, helpful answers, and both make a lot of sense.

I was listening to the expedition overland podcast today and one of the episodes talks about "pinnacle" overlanding vehicles. #1 was a Toyota landcruiser and they said it was "cheap" here in the USA... I'm wondering what world they are from where an $85,000 SUV is cheap, and from what I can tell, no more capable than a similar full size SUV.... Say even the Sequoia for example. Just really made me wonder...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I think they are referring to 60, 80, and 100 series when they say cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You're right on the looks. I like the new Tacoma's and have always the looks of the 4Runners. Although, LC's.....love the drivetrain and interior, but looks wise.....

Domestic side has some good-looking trucks, too, though. In the midsize, Colorado and Wranglers/Gladiator (along with a Grand Cherokee) definitely "look the part." Full-size, I can't think of a single foreign-made truck I'd take over a Raptor or PowerWagon. I just wish there were a competing counterpart to the LC. Capable, fullsize-ish SUV.
The LC isn’t comparable to a full size. I had a J80 for 7 yrs. Liked it but it wasn’t amazing or magically better than the Domestic stuff its just smaller. I moved on to the Sequoia which was actually much much better than the LC for just about everything, range, power, mileage, space, comfort and the Sequoia was surprisingly good off pavement. Even traveling solo I liked the Sequoia much more. Especially for the range improvement and sleeping in the back. Had the sequoia 7yrs now my dad owns it. I’m driving a 2019 Expedition with heavy tow pack, 4low, Locking Diff and the 400hp 3.5. I’ll be honest its a great machine nothing Toyota has today is even remotely interesting to me unless I were buying 5-7yrs old. Which case a grandma owned over serviced by dealer Lexus 4x4 was on my list then Yes I’d be shopping Toyota again.

Today I’m rolling a 2019 Ford and liking it.

...that group is referred to as rednecks and rednecks are not cool.

I live in Kentucky, I know a thing or two about rednecks, and you're exactly right.

Also, I've always thought excursions were pretty sexy but that might just be me...

And yeah I think at the end of the day it comes out to who can have the most shiny toys with all the right "gear" on it. I for one and very happy with my 200k Tahoe and it has seen me through many good outdoor adventures, hopefully many still to come. I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were, that podcast really got me thinking about it.

I think they are referring to 60, 80, and 100 series when they say cheap.

At one point they specifically start talking about the 200 series land cruiser, which I'm pretty sure is what they were referring to as "cheap", because they mentioned how they are marked up in Australia and other countries for whatever reason. At least that's what it sounded like to me.

phsycle

Adventurer
The LC isn’t comparable to a full size. I had a J80 for 7 yrs. Liked it but it wasn’t amazing or magically better than the Domestic stuff its just smaller. I moved on to the Sequoia which was actually much much better than the LC for just about everything, range, power, mileage, space, comfort and the Sequoia was surprisingly good off pavement. Even traveling solo I liked the Sequoia much more. Especially for the range improvement and sleeping in the back. Had the sequoia 7yrs now my dad owns it. I’m driving a 2019 Expedition with heavy tow pack, 4low, Locking Diff and the 400hp 3.5. I’ll be honest its a great machine nothing Toyota has today is even remotely interesting to me unless I were buying 5-7yrs old. Which case a grandma owned over serviced by dealer Lexus 4x4 was on my list then Yes I’d be shopping Toyota again.

Today I’m rolling a 2019 Ford and liking it.

80 series was smaller. I had a 100-series, which is slightly bigger. It was nice. Enough room for 3 car seats across. And very capable even in stock form. Size was comparable to a fullsize. Width is around 78", which is only 2" narrower than your Expedition. I think it's a good size for entire-family outings. I don't know of any other "fullsize" SUV that comes close to the off-road capability (I'm talking places like the Alpine Loop in CO, and Moab).

If I were looking for a roadtrip/dirt road machine (that can also tow well), a new Burb/Expedition would be it. Toyota doesn't come close.

WOODY2

Adventurer
There is an old saying in the Harley world " If you have to ask you wouldn't understand" In reality there are very capable vehicles in the aformentioned makes.

ttengineer

Adventurer
At one point they specifically start talking about the 200 series land cruiser, which I'm pretty sure is what they were referring to as "cheap", because they mentioned how they are marked up in Australia and other countries for whatever reason. At least that's what it sounded like to me.

I’m not into LCs, so I’m not sure when the changeover to the 200 was made. I’m sure a quick google search would solve that but I’m too lazy. But I’m sure an early 200 series could probably be had for relatively cheap.

But less than 4 years old I’m sure still holds a premium.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I live in Kentucky, I know a thing or two about rednecks, and you're exactly right.

Also, I've always thought excursions were pretty sexy but that might just be me...

And yeah I think at the end of the day it comes out to who can have the most shiny toys with all the right "gear" on it. I for one and very happy with my 200k Tahoe and it has seen me through many good outdoor adventures, hopefully many still to come. I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were, that podcast really got me thinking about it.

Mericas_Meuth,

What side of KY are you in? I used to go to Big South Fork all the time when I lived in DC. My Pathfinder did well on the trails and I know that my Sub will not get as far on some trails.

Escursions are sexy, I almost bought one when I was shopping for my Suburban, but the price through me off and I was on the diesel is god bandwagon back then.

For $300 you can lift your Tahoe to comfortably run 35" tires and as long as you have a G80 locking rear end your adventures will only be limited by your imagination.

There is also no aftermarket support for out trucks. EXPO members are the best resource for street legal GMT800 trucks. Pirate4x4 has great crawling and muddin rigs.

At the end of the day it's getting out and playing thats most important. Do the best you can with what you have to get out and explore! that's why we are all here in the first place.

@CrazyDrei I live in north central Ky, between Louisville & Lexington. Big South Fork is a gem and my absolute favorite place to go backpacking/camping/whitewater canoeing. All the rage around here is Red River Gorge, but BSF is so much less busy. My happy place. Yet to go offroading there, but I know there are tons of places around SE Ky.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Because the Toyota crowd needs emotional backing, justification, and enticing of all the pretty dongles bedazzeled on their rigs to go off-road. Full-size truck people have been doing it in their stock trucks for a long time. Only difference is, it's not called "Overlanding", but camping.

I jest, but seriously...
Marketing.

Tacoma/4Runners are marketed as Lifestyle trucks. This is very apparent in the ads, where you have millenials loading up the back with dirt bikes, camping gear, etc.

Tahoe/Expedition are family haulers. Targeted to families for daily errand and road trips. They can go offroad, but that's not what people use them for, typically (except the few yahoos on here! :D). Thus, not as much aftermarket support.

You can build whatever you'd like to do whatever you'd like. Just takes money and time.

I whole heartedly agree with every word of this! :)

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
So you think this looks like a kid who inherited their moms Tahoe? One of the local members rides. I'm not disagreeing with you, because that is your opinion, but I also think most Tahoe's you do see modded ARE kids kids who inherited their moms Tahoe's... (Btw nothing against kids who inherited Tahoe's, power on)

To me seems like it's a capable platform worthy of modding, also given the prices.

I'll have to check out that thread about the land cruisers. I am sure they are extremely reliable, but for 85g's they sure as hell ought to be lol.
22b2d3d2c23401b1fbec67a3581358c1.jpg
6f47d9240ef2cf0ce93401c3f6761318.jpg
83810c6316d3507dc07e0bcecd884899.jpg

Tahoes are one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever sat in. I'm 6'4" and sitting in a Tacoma or 4Runner is like sitting in a low beach chair in the sand. That's a nice one. I'm not fond of the new slab sided GM's.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
80 series was smaller. I had a 100-series, which is slightly bigger. It was nice. Enough room for 3 car seats across. And very capable even in stock form. Size was comparable to a fullsize. Width is around 78", which is only 2" narrower than your Expedition. I think it's a good size for entire-family outings. I don't know of any other "fullsize" SUV that comes close to the off-road capability (I'm talking places like the Alpine Loop in CO, and Moab).

If I were looking for a roadtrip/dirt road machine (that can also tow well), a new Burb/Expedition would be it. Toyota doesn't come close.
I was in Moab last summer 12 day trip. Not counting mud / rainy thunderstorm season and the slick as ice mud dry season any stock 4x4 vehicle can do the popular dirt roads easily. CO I’d rather just ride a dirt bike I can enjoy the sights far more with more time to enjoy them vs trying to shoe horn a fat heavy vehicle through busy ledge roads and switch backs. I get it some people are more into seeing if they can get a vehicle through some kind of obstacle when they can’t its pretty obvious they have the wrong vehicle lol.

For most of the population were looking at 1000+ miles of highway to get to Moab or CO. Which case the land yachts are unrivaled kings. The burb/Yukon and Expedition and Excursions are simply unmatched. When you get there they do dirt roads just fine as long as you don’t get caught in specialized local conditions where more specialized vehicle capability is needed. After 1000+ miles and having 1000+ to get home most of us don’t feel like messing up our ride home lol.

White rim in my 2019 Expedition? Hell yeah I’ll toss some 18’s with KO2’s on it and go when the road has been worn in some no need for 37inch or 35’s on a crazy built jeep to experience that. I actually found it pretty entertaining watching a stock Tahoe on stock tires waiting for some crazy 37in jeepers to get their act together to head down the road. LoL

GR8ADV

Explorer
Quality, durability and reliability to name just three. Good god I have owned way too many ford products GM products, Toyota toys, nissans, Porsche’s, Honda’s, Mercedes and even early Hyundai’s over the years. In the end, the Japanese products are head and shoulders above the rest. One may find a better ‘fit’ for tall, oversized or whatever, but from a vehicle perspective my experience is that the Japanese, in particular toyota rule the roost.

Now I expect a deluge of American iron lovers to grab their guns and come out with their personal exceptions, or they ‘know a guy who’ exceptions, that in the end prove the rule. Reliability history is long and quite one sided

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles