Why are other full size SUV's not used in overlanding/offroading as often as Forerunner/Landcruiser?

MTVR

Oversized rediculous overland campers are a great idea at overland expo every year and in every halfass thought out build on this forum...... until one guy get a good deal on one and everyone is jealous.

Apparently...

85_Ranger4x4

"One" what? Lots of lay people that see the MTVR, seem to have stories about their grandpa's neighbor's dog's nephew's co-worker's sister's husband used to have "one" years ago, but it turns out they're actually talking about a deuce and a half or a 5-ton, neither of which are related in ANY way to the MTVR.

There are only about 300 or so MTVRs in civilian hands, and before about a year ago, there were zero MTVRs in civilian hands.

Here's a pic of an MTVR towing a 5-ton. Notice the difference now?

View attachment 593901

Dunno, he isn't exactly the kind of neighbor you jump over the fence and oodle over his buried 6wd behemoth. We were fixing the fence between grandpa and him a few years ago and he called the sheriff on us for trespassing...

It was 3 years ago and it was stuck a good quarter of a mile from grandpa's side of the fence.

I don't know much about them but I think if the seep is soft enough to sink the little one halfway up the grille the bigger one probably won't fair much better.

MTVR

It was 3 years ago...

Then it wasn't an MTVR.

Your story would be like somebody saying that the Ford Ranger wasn't any good, because their brother in law's hamster's godmother ran out of gas once in her Subaru BRAT, so it sat there on the side of the road all winter, until the weather got good enough in the spring for her to walk to the gas station with a gas can....

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Then it wasn't an MTVR.

That would be like somebody saying that the Ford Ranger wasn't any good, because their brother in law's hamster's godmother ran out of gas once in her Subaru BRAT....

My apologies I don't keep up on every military acronym/model destination change for their vehicles. I am more into navy and aviation stuff than wheeled ground vehicles.

If a BRAT sunk half up the grille in mud a bigger and heavier Ranger would do the same or worse. Especially the porky one I have lol

MTVR

My apologies I don't keep up on every military acronym/model destination change for their vehicles. I am more into navy and aviation

No worries.

If the deuce and a half that you saw was like a P-43 Lancer, then the MTVR would be like an F-22 Raptor.

The deuce and a half originally came on 7.5" wide 37" tall tube-type bias-ply tires. Most of the ones that I have seen on farm trucks like that, are worn out and only slightly more compliant than granite. The MTVR has 16" wide 53" tall fully beadlocked Michelin tubeless radials, and a computer-controlled CTIS system that can air down and air up the front and rear tires independently, based upon the load and terrain, on the fly. Our tires only have about 3,000 miles on them, are over 90% tread depth, and since our MTVR was originally an armored gun truck attached to a Marine Special Forces unit, it even has runflat inserts.

The deuce and a half came with three solid axles and leaf-spring suspension offering very little travel. The MTVR has coil-sprung six-wheel independent suspension with 16" of travel in the front and 13" of travel in the rear.

The deuce and a half originally came with all three diffs open and a manual-shift transfer case. The MTVR has full-time all-wheel-drive with a torque-biasing transfer case, and five selectable drivetrain lockers, also controlled by the CTIS computer.

The deuce and a half originally came with a non-synchronized manual gearbox and required a two-speed transfer case to crawl. The MTVR has a heavy-duty Allison 7-speed wide-ratio double-overdrive automatic transmission that can access it's 58:1 crawl ratio on the fly, without having to stop to shift a two-speed transfer case into low range.

The deuce and a half originally came with an asthmatic naturally-aspirated gas engine with about 90 horsepower and 200 pounds of torque, giving it a top speed of about 45 mph, as long as it wasn't carrying anything, towing anything, or attempting to go uphill. The MTVR has an 11.9-liter (732 cubic inch) Caterpillar intercooled turbodiesel with 425 horsepower and 1,550 pounds of torque. It's top speed is electronically restricted to 65mph.

The deuce and a half, as it's name implies, was originally designed with a payload capacity of 5,000 pounds. The MTVR has a payload capacity of 30,000 pounds.

The deuce and a half did not originally come with power steering, power brakes, automatic transmission, ABS, traction control, air conditioning, or even a heater. Our MTVR came with all of those, plus an adjustable air-ride driver's seat.

The deuce and a half had a drafty cab with no insulation, no sealing, and a canvas top. The MTVR has an insulated and fully weather-sealed cab, with a rigid metal top.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

No worries.

If the deuce and a half that you saw was like a P-43 Lancer, then the MTVR would be like an F-22 Raptor.

The deuce and a half originally came on 7.5" wide 37" tall tube-type bias-ply tires. Most of the ones that I have seen on farm trucks like that, are worn out and only slightly more compliant than granite. The MTVR has 16" wide 53" tall fully beadlocked Michelin tubeless radials, and a computer-controlled CTIS system that can air down and air up the front and rear tires independently, based upon the load and terrain, on the fly. Our tires only have about 3,000 miles on them, are over 90% tread depth, and since our MTVR was originally an armored gun truck attached to a Marine Special Forces unit, it even has runflat inserts.

The deuce and a half came with three solid axles and leaf-spring suspension offering very little travel. The MTVR has coil-sprung six-wheel independent suspension with 16" of travel in the front and 13" of travel in the rear.

The deuce and a half originally came with all three diffs open and a manual-shift transfer case. The MTVR has full-time all-wheel-drive with a torque-biasing transfer case, and five selectable drivetrain lockers, also controlled by the CTIS computer.

The deuce and a half originally came with a non-synchronized manual gearbox and required a two-speed transfer case to crawl. The MTVR has a heavy-duty Allison 7-speed wide-ratio double-overdrive transmission that can access it's 58:1 crawl ratio on the fly, without having to stop to shift a two-speed transfer case into low range.

The deuce and a half originally came with an asthmatic naturally-aspirated gas engine with about 90 horsepower and 200 pounds of torque, giving it a top speed of about 45 mph, as long as it wasn't carrying anything, towing anything, or attempting to go uphill. The MTVR has an 11.9-liter (732 cubic inch) Caterpillar intercooled turbodiesel with 425 horsepower and 1,550 pounds of torque. It's top speed is electronically restricted to 65mph.

The deuce and a half, as it's name implies, was originally designed with a payload capacity of 5,000 pounds. The MTVR has a payload capacity of 30,000 pounds.

The deuce and a half did not originally come with power steering, power brakes, automatic transmission, ABS, traction control, or air conditioning. Our MTVR came with all of those, plus an adjustable air-ride driver's seat.

The deuce and a half had a drafty cab with no insulation, no sealing, and a canvas top. The MTVR has an insulated and fully weather-sealed cab, with a rigid top.

Whatever it takes I guess.

He had a 200+hp 20,000lb +/- tractor spinning eight 18.4x38 tires and he couldn't tug it out.

OMG No !!
Pray we dont to see an Naval Aviation oneupmanship blabberfest upcoming !
Wesco does not make boots any taller.

Not really just naval aviation.

P-38 is my all-time favorite plane with the P-47 a close second.

I like ships and airplanes, not just airplanes that fly off of ships.

Although the P-47 can and did fly off ships... unlike say a F-22...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
C130's can land and fly from a carrier:
hqdefault.jpg

carrier_03.jpg

No hook for launching?

main-qimg-b63bdbeda72a1b903eaf3ecf77992855.webp

MTVR

I can't remember who made the comment about the unedited real-time video of the GT2RS Widowmaker's 6:47 Nordschleife lap with on-screen telemetry being a "Porsche ad", but for comparative purposes, here is an ACTUAL Porsche ad featuring the Nordschleife (German for "north loop"):

I like the fact that for the first 1:15 of a 1:45 commercial, not only do they not show the car, they actually spend that time showing the kind of people who hate the car.

MTVR

"The Green Hell" is the most difficult race course I have ever attempted, and it is the second most dangerous race course I have ever attempted. It's 12.9 miles long, and has nearly 200 turns, many of which are blind and or late-apex, all of which have virtually no run-off. To make matters worse, I had trouble with confusing several sections that look very similar.

One of the parts that you simply cannot get wrong, is Pflanzgarten, which involves a short downhill run to a jump just before a left-hander. On the outside of the left-hander, is a wall. Some people simply take it easy at Pflanzgarten, but if you're trying to make time, you need to divide your braking before and after the jump. If you don't let off the brakes before the jump, you can either activate the ABS on landing and run off the outside into the wall, or you can lock up the wheels on landing and run off the outside into the wall. So there is a rhythm- brake, jump, brake, turn, and if you attempt to combine any of those steps instead of doing them individually and in the correct sequence, you can run off the outside and crash.

Fortunately, after practicing at home for a month prior to our trip, we got it right every time in real life, and were able to bring my wife's new car home in one piece.

MTVR

We also used numerous video tutorials on learning the Nordschleife. Dale Lomas was extremely helpful. He is a British guy that lives at the Nurburgring. His day job is as a 'Ring Taxi driver for BMW (like Sabine Schmitz used to do). He also is a professional racing driver, is a driving/riding coach at the Nordschleife, and runs the BTG "Bridge To Gantry" web site.

The Nordschleife is technically a one-way German toll road, and when it is not closed for auto manufacturer's test sessions or VLN races, it is open for Touristenfahrten, in which anyone with a street-registered vehicle can drive the course. It was the equivalent of about $22 a lap while we were there. Recording video is allowed at times (it was allowed while we were there).

The term "Bridge To Gantry" refers to Nordschleife lap times taken during Touristenfahrten, because lap timing is not technically allowed, and is not even practical, because once you enter the track and pull out of the chicane, the Tiergarten Bridge is the first significant landmark. and you are supposed to let off at the gantry at the beginning of the main front straightaway, in preparation of exiting the course to cool off your brakes on the surrounding roads.

So although manufacturers rent the course and quote full-course lap times, normal people like you and I can only time from bridge to gantry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior