Why are other full size SUV's not used in overlanding/offroading as often as Forerunner/Landcruiser?

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I would wager that he either trashed it, or it had 300k+ miles before needing that service.

Has 250k miles on it. My sloppy Ford 9.75 rear axle had 263k miles on it when I sold it. Original bearings. And I know the guy that bought it. Probably has 275k miles on it now. Bearings are still original.

Yes your sloppy domestic axle bearings will fall right out easily in 15 minutes. That's only a good thing if you like replacing them every other weekend.

They fall right out. Apparently after they’ve gone the equivalent distance to the moon and most of the way back- if not farther. I can live with that. Or spend several days wrenching on it in the driveway OR spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to have someone else do it while I sit smugly in the waiting room drinking bad coffee thinking to myself “that’s reliability for you!” Yeah. I can live with that.

D

Deleted member 9101

Has 250k miles on it. My sloppy Ford 9.75 rear axle had 263k miles on it when I sold it. Original bearings. And I know the guy that bought it. Probably has 275k miles on it now. Bearings are still original.

They fall right out. Apparently after they’ve gone the equivalent distance to the moon and most of the way back- if not farther. I can live with that. Or spend several days wrenching on it in the driveway OR spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to have someone else do it while I sit smugly in the waiting room drinking bad coffee thinking to myself “that’s reliability for you!” Yeah. I can live with that.

I've only had the rear end fail on two vehicles... One was a 5.slow Mustang that was pushing about 600hp when the second step of the nitrous kicked in ....thus gernading the 8.8" and a bone stock Tundra.

I've had a 90, 91, 97, and 2017 F150, 2002 F350, 1991 S10 with a SBC, 76 chevy Luv with a SBC, and a 2000 Dakota RT... All were in six didgit mileage... Not a single one had a rear end issue.... Must be soooooo sloppy that they can't fail...hahaha.

mtnlove

My favorite ride of the 28 I've owned, a '92 3fe Land Cruiser, just gave up its transmission at 233k'ish miles. Rolling slow and low anywhere and over most things is an amazing way to be. Threw a mattress in the back and my lady and I wore this thing out around Colorado. It will be missed.

A few days back I picked up a '97 Tahoe with 200k on the clock, took it out to some sketch ass dirt roads in the Rockies with my lady and a mattress in the back and had a hell of a time. Learning the capability of a new ride is always an adventure and the Hoe performed way better than expected. Not as confident as the Cruiser but perfectly fine. And the big ass seats, 400 mile range, and a motor that is faster than 0-60 in 4 miles? Hell yeah I'll drive it.

Another LC will come around to be sure but some fat, comfy American goodness is not a bad change.

phsycle

Adventurer
Another reason Toyota’s last longer is for the most part they are always underpowered and that = less stress on everything .

There are some nice Toyota truck engines. But plenty of cases where there have been issues. 3.0 has HG issues. Same with the 4.0. The venerable 3.4L has had sludge issues and shooting a rod through the block. A friend of mine blew up his 22RE at 150k miles.

The older domestic V8’s seem to be pretty reliable. In my family, plenty of GM V8’s regularly go 200k miles before they’re sold to move to a new truck (and still running well). They’re in commercial construction so not treated that well.

86scotty

Cynic
Thats interesting.
Wonder where that reputation came from. But if its true then measuring on the same poop scale, the GM counterparts must be pigshit maybe trumpshit.
During my working days I had at least 150 vehicles rotate thru my fleet. About 1/2 GM, 1/2 Ford. Breakdowns on GMs was easily double that of Ford.

I've worked in and around a lot of truck fleets and I agree. Ford (historically, don't know about the newer stuff) builds a better, tougher fleet vehicle where GM builds a better personal. How can that be? I really have no idea but I've experienced it long enough to believe it. Old Ford work vans and trucks seem to be more spartan and boring but just go and go whereas when it comes to a personal truck I'd rather have a GM, even if it needs more attention. They are generally more comfortable and nicer inside. Also, I have never ever tired of the thump of a 5.7 or 5.3l

quickfarms

Adventurer
For work vehicles I prefer ford.

My experience has been the same, fords seem to have less issues.

The worst are Chrysler products and unfortunately they own Jeep.

Toyota’s are to light to be work trucks.

I still see a lot of ford rangers running around delivering parts.

When I go to the parts house all of there vehicles and all but 2 employees vehicles are fords.

TwinDuro

I like them all to some degree or another. I'm glad I'm not much of a brand loyalist, or else I would have missed out on all fun I've had over the years with GMs, Fords, Dodges, Toyotas and Nissans. All have had interesting pros and cons and failure points.

My '92 K1500 has 280k on it at this point on the original 5.7 TBI that burns no oil, still has good power, decent oil pressure and runs and drives great. Is there stuff worn out? Absolutely! Does my friend's '92 Toyota pickup with similar mileage and a 22RE have things that are worn out? Absolutely!

Again, where are you traveling and what are you doing with your rig? An infinitely subjective question. When I return to Baja eventually and travel a month or two down there, it will be in the '92 K1500 because my experience has been that parts are everywhere and it's hilariously simple to work on if need be. Are there better rigs for this type of travel? Absolutely! Your mileage may vary...

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Great video. Not sure what it has to do with the topic but thanks for sharing anyway. The E39 M5 is probably my all time favorite car. It's hard to imagine a woman to match it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Great video. Not sure what it has to do with the topic but thanks for sharing anyway. The E39 M5 is probably my all time favorite car. It's hard to imagine a woman to match it.
It came up somehow.... Can't recall. These things rarely sty on topic here. Yes, agree with you 100% on the E39 M5. Judging by recent prices, so do enthusiasts.

Wow What an interesting and entertaining read.........

To me Land Rovers, LC,FJ40's, 4runners and other makes just have that "Look". And because they have that Look more people who want the Look build them up especially here in the States. I would also say that in The US I see more Lifted tired up Mall crawlers then you might find anywhere else. The biggest Laugh I get is seeing Snorkels on Jeeps or Rovers. We all know how much water you would need to be in for the snorkel to make sense and I highly dought the Rigs running Around NYC have ever got swamped carpets let alone had the water line across their windshield.

I am a GM guy but have owned a 1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 and an 1982 Suzuki SJ410.

The Problem I had with both in the USA was getting parts. Something as simple as an exhaust manifold gasket For the discovery became a huge hunt and I eventually had to go to the LR dealer. For the SJ410 It was a Pain to get a Fuel filter.

All these vehicles seem to be rugged and all can be made to work. But the newer stuff is always harder to bush fix then the older simpler stuff. I understand the comfort of the newer rigs but prefer the rugged simple systems of the older rigs.

To the guys mad about the term "overland" I got a chuckle from that. I have this old rig in the garage. It was built during a time when two companies merged. One company was called Overland and the other was called Willys. and on the back bumper of my 4x4 wagon is stamped "Willys-Overland" To me these are the first Real American SUV. And I have seen them around the world although they are now so old.

No mater if your riding a Honda CT90 or a Unimog its fun to get out there and have an adventure. I could care less what others drive or the ************ that think they are hot with there never used rigs. I have fun with my old rig and that's what counts. Get out there and enjoy the trails, treks, fire rods and remote places around this globe.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Wow What an interesting and entertaining read.........

To me Land Rovers, LC,FJ40's, 4runners and other makes just have that "Look". And because they have that Look more people who want the Look build them up especially here in the States. I would also say that in The US I see more Lifted tired up Mall crawlers then you might find anywhere else. The biggest Laugh I get is seeing Snorkels on Jeeps or Rovers. We all know how much water you would need to be in for the snorkel to make sense and I highly dought the Rigs running Around NYC have ever got swamped carpets let alone had the water line across their windshield.

To the guys mad about the term "overland" I got a chuckle from that. I have this old rig in the garage. It was built during a time when two companies merged. One company was called Overland and the other was called Willys. and on the back bumper of my 4x4 wagon is stamped "Willys-Overland" To me these are the first Real American SUV. And I have seen them around the world although they are now so old.

I'm not going to eventually put a snorkel on my truck just because they look cool, where I live our storm water sewers are complete garbage. Even a few inches of rain leaves dangerously deep standing water on the roads. It is easier to suck water into a vehicle than some people think. So in this particular case having a snorkel might be a necessary item to get me to homedepot.

One day, when I have free time, I'm going to own a willys wagon. I have loved those since I saw Stacy build one on Trucks on spike tv or what ever it was called almost 20 years ago.

598590_10150888975565843_189523371_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles