Why are most RTTs located as far to the rear of the vehicle as possible?

aleks77

Hey guys just started noticing that most RTTs are located at the very rear of the vehicle/roof rack. I have mine set-up right in the middle, that way the weight is distributed more evenly and also I have room in the rear of to place jerry cans on the roof rack. Just curious what are the pro/cons for running the RTT as far to the rear as possible? Thanks!

Pic of my setup;

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_8971.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
middle here...or at least was....

Others though with the swb landcruisers with the side opening doors had theirs opening to the rear to act as an awning, cover

DSC_0155.jpg

Last edited:

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
ours used to be on the rear to minimize wind noise...
Cowichan Lake, VI
IMAG1689.jpg

Atigun Pass
P1010465.JPG

Now with the columbus although it takes the whole rack.. its much lighter and no wind noise
Eastern Sierras
IMAG0375.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Mine is all the way forward. I can fit a little stuff behind it that way, but its not a very big rack.
14138368200_17ff104057_c.jpg

fike

Adventurer
I noticed with my Maggiolina on my Forester that it actually is very un-aerodynamic because the front extends past the top of the windshield. This makes it so that all the air deflected off the front and hood of the car is rammed up into the bottom of my rooftop tent. The result is that I have a cr@pload of bug guts on the bottom of the tent, and I think my fuel economy suffers for this situation. I think it would be far more aerodynamic if I could have it further back. I have considered making some sort of air-dam to shed wind off to the sides, but it just looks like it would be way too klugey to work well.

soooo...I think farther back probably impacts fuel economy a bit less.

stevil

I would like to mount my rtt towards the middle, but my gobi rack can't accommodate it... Yet. Im running a Jeep unlimited. My main reason for wanting to move it forward is so the annex falls between the wheel wells.

I placed it further back so that my Pelican could be in front of it to deflect branches and bugs... aerodynamics? Who would I kid... I drive an unstoppable heavy diesel brick on wheels
60-1.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I tried moving my RTT around the roof rack of my FJ cruiser.
The front was a great option and I had the ladder come down in front of my ARB bullbar.
However a buddy who had a changing room under his tent liked it off the back to enclose that area.

dstock

Explorer
I would like to mount my rtt towards the middle, but my gobi rack can't accommodate it... Yet. Im running a Jeep unlimited. My main reason for wanting to move it forward is so the annex falls between the wheel wells.

If you get the accessory bars for the Gobi you can mount it where ever you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior