Why are most aftermarket wheels so BroDozer?

MiCVPI

OEM wheel on my F150 is 17x7.5 +44.
I'm trying to find aftermarket wheels: a) without fake beadlocks b) that aren't hideous, c) that have a positive offset of +20 or +25 or 30 etc, d) aren't wider than 8.5. e) aren't black
What's with all the 0 offset 9" wide wheels? Is it because everyone loves riding around with tires 2" past the fenders?
Ive so far found Method 705 in titanium with 17x8.5 +25, Method 703 in 17x7.5 +20 but they are black.
17x8.5 Raceline 944GS Outlander Greystone +18mm
And vision 355 Manx Overland 2 but they are 17x9 +20mm so that's at least 3/4" past my fenders
where are you located? I have a set of 2018 OEM F150 wheels and tires for sale.

Grassland

I'm in Winnipeg MB, Canada. Drive north from Fargo North Dakota until everything is eerily slightly different than the US and we all talk with odd accents

MiCVPI

I'm in Winnipeg MB, Canada. Drive north from Fargo North Dakota until everything is eerily slightly different than the US and we all talk with odd accents
Hahaa! my girlfriend Lives in Lakeshore Ontario, eh? Any interest in these wheels and tires?

Attachments

• IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25

jbaucom

Those are my favorite OE wheels ford ever made! I've been looking for a set for awhile.
I bought a set of takeoffs with the load range C Goodyear All Terrain Adventures to replace the 20s that came on my 2019. The place I bought from had a warehouse full of takeoffs from new vehicles that dealers were modifying. You might see if there’s a place like that nearby.

Only related to OP in terms of prioritization of form over function. Probably 22-24” wheels, lifted but not 4wd (or driver doesn’t know how to use it), no rear traction diff.
Far out on the Brodozr end of form vs function curve.
Sorry for the diversion.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not to state the obvious....

But are we really complaining about wheel design all the while knocking the "bro-dozer" scene???
Do you realize how hypocritical that is? :ROFLMAO:

I understand that many wheels are ugly as sin.
But unless you are as concerned about looks and silly trends as the bro-dozer drivers you knock,
I suggest you find a wheel that does what you require, (nearly) regardless of looks.

I needed a high capacity wheel and tire package for my build and didnt want some sort of silly custom wheel that would be difficult to replace if it ever came to it.
So I grabbed the highest capacity wheel and tire package (and one that wasnt TOTALLY hideous ;) ) and ran with it.

Yes, they have the silly fake beadlock nonsense, but when the heck actually cares?

50340209651_34d4f0250c_b.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
When I was going to put bigger tires on the truck I looked for a non fake bead lock wheel, I ended up with Method's strongest wheel, fake bead locks and all. I don't really see them anymore, kind of like the low tire pressure warning light on the dash.

Grassland

This whole stance thing is what I really don't get, like ridiculous negative offsets.
If I wanted a 0 offset wheel in black, no problem.
I guess I'm unique in wanting a high positive wheel in not black.
At this point it's either Raptor knock offs, or take off OEM 17s, of which there are none anywhere near by.
I'll just run my OEM wheels and skip winters even at this point, the supply shortage and cost of everything is just too much.
Just ordered winters for the Transit, and had to go to 225/75R16, which is over an inch taller than stock, just to get availability, and they aren't even rated to same load rating as the 235/65R16C euro spec tires.
$108 for a 16" steel wheel. Yeesh. But what should I expect when it's $60 for ten feet of 3" PVC.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I was thinking about spinners for my Jeep. Truck has stock wheels. Cheapest white spokes I could find for the Jeep.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You absolutely can run a 12.5" tire on an 8.5" wheel. I've been running a 12.5" tire on an 8" wheels for decades. It actually helps keep the bead on when aired down more than a wider wheel.

Like @DaveInDenver said, there are a few companies that still make "normal" looking aftermarket wheels. Those are the ones that I still tend to go for. (y)
You'd feel the improvement with a 9" wheel for 12.5's.

nickw

Adventurer
I can't friggin stand fake beadlocks - I'd never run them, it's a personal thing I guess. I'd love to find a set of these for my 2021 Ram 2500:

1642053171903.png

That ROW landcruiser look - I think Stockton wheel does custom, but I don't think they do 17 or 18", but here is a custom set they did for a LC:

1642053371438.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz