Why all the hi-lift hate? Is there an alternative?

762X39

Explorer
I was just stripping and repainting the base of my JackAll and I saw this post. I use my JackAll about a 100 times per year to help move or level my trailer, lift the back or front of my truck and then let it fall sideways (or to put a length of 4X4 under a tire). Hell, I have even lifted my Unimog with it (slowly and carefully) so that I could put one of my 12"X12"X1 1/2" bases under a tire. Yeah, a JackAll (or Hi-Lift) is a dangerous piece of kit if it spends 364 days bolted to your bumper. If on the other hand it gets used all the time and you remember to grease it every month, repaint it every other year and use it for everything with the respect it deserves (it gets as much respect as my chainsaw and I have at least as much practice with it) then it is a wonderful tool. So lots of love, lots of respect but no hate here.:coffee:

taiden

Observer
Alright gents, I'm officially springing on a 48" Hi Lift with the wheel grabber, 30' of 3/8" chain, and what this gentleman is wearing

chnguard.jpg

bfdiesel

Explorer
Useless argument.

Either way know how to use what you have and where you can go and still recover yourself. Even when I am in a pack I drive like I will be alone getting unstuck or out of a nasty situation. You have no business being out and about if you can not take care of yourself.

Might add a hockey mask to that hard hat.

taiden

Observer
To address the random THWACK issue. I used my friends in the yard before considering one, just to see what it was like. I understand that when you're jacking, when you go between the up and down position, one is freely moving, and the other has the weight of the vehicle transferred through the pipe.

So is the THWACK issue people letting go of the pipe too soon when it's still experiencing vehicle load, or is it a accidental failure of the pins to remain in the locked position causing a random quick loading of the handle when it's least expected?

Is it operator error or hi-lift error?

Quill

Adventurer
Been using Hi-Lifts for years. Yeah I remember the bumper jacks. Hi-Lifts were used for everything on farms in the old days. Lifted the front of a lot of tractors. Removed fence posts and lifted vehicles to small buildings. It can surprise you and it can be unsafe at times. A winch applies the same and so does a bottle jack or any kind of jack. Under not so great circumstances they all can get you hurt. So can riding a motorcycle or a bicycle. Learn to use it right, always pay attention and aware of what can happen. Still stuff happens. That's the chance you take. Minimize that problem by being on top of your game. Tired, sick or plain stupid will get you every time.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Go on youtube and watch one of Bill Burke's videos on using the Hi-Lift. You'll notice that he always keeps himself out of the handle's swing line. Do that and you'll never get hit by the handle.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Been using Hi-Lifts for years. Yeah I remember the bumper jacks. Hi-Lifts were used for everything on farms in the old days. Lifted the front of a lot of tractors. Removed fence posts and lifted vehicles to small buildings. It can surprise you and it can be unsafe at times. A winch applies the same and so does a bottle jack or any kind of jack. Under not so great circumstances they all can get you hurt. So can riding a motorcycle or a bicycle. Learn to use it right, always pay attention and aware of what can happen. Still stuff happens. That's the chance you take. Minimize that problem by being on top of your game. Tired, sick or plain stupid will get you every time.

I'm replying to you simply because it's convenient and relevant, not to single you out.

So, OK....things can go wrong. Can anyone put together a HOWTO of best practices for using a hi-lift jack? I have been thinking of getting one, however I was really unaware of the dangers until I read through this thread (and really, nobody has yet given specifics other than vague statements like "they aren't stable" or "the handle can hit you"). Under what circumstances are they not stable? What causes the handle to fly up and knock you teeth out? How can these situation be prevented (either by correct operation or proper usage scenario)?

More than likely I have been swayed to getting a bottle jack, but someone is going to go ahead and get their first hi-lift jack, and it would be better if there was some way for them to learn the best practices when using it.

taiden

Observer
Well, I will say this. I jacked up my Cherokee from the rear bumper with my friends hi lift, and it's pretty obvious to a first timer that it's not stable (and how it is unstable as well). The thing has no wide base and it's really tall, it's like a game of Jenga waiting to happen. Because of the long heights you jack with it, it follows an exaggurated natural arc that the vehicle follows when being jacked. You know those wheels on the bottom of floor jacks? Those aren't just there to help them wheel into place. That sucker rolls along the floor as you're lifting. And it's base to height ratio so damn good you rarely see a floor jack fall over. Combine a horrible base to height ratio of the hi-lift, and the fact that it has to TILT instead of roll, and there you have it. You have to compensate for the tilt from the start by putting the hi lifts base closer to the vehicle arc's center point such that the hi-lift is not perfectly vertical at the start of the lifting operation.

For me the hi-lift seems like the one tool that will do just about everything in a pinch, and lends itself to uses outside of offroading, displays serious recovery tool synergy, and as such will never be forgotten.

Obviously I'm no expert, but this is the conclusion I came to based on my poking around on the internet and tooling around in my driveway with my buddies hi-lift.

I find it easier to put my head forward of the lever swing and almost level with the tip of the lever when in the full down position anyway, it's most comfortable for me. So it seems I am a "dont get whacked in the teeth" natural.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
To address the random THWACK issue. I used my friends in the yard before considering one, just to see what it was like. I understand that when you're jacking, when you go between the up and down position, one is freely moving, and the other has the weight of the vehicle transferred through the pipe.

So is the THWACK issue people letting go of the pipe too soon when it's still experiencing vehicle load, or is it a accidental failure of the pins to remain in the locked position causing a random quick loading of the handle when it's least expected?

Is it operator error or hi-lift error?

It's always operator error. When the pins stick it means that the jack won't "walk" up or down the rail, it just sits in one place more or less. That doesn't mean that injuries don't happen when someone is trying to free a stuck pin - but it is because they tried to make it work under load instead of lubing it up unloaded. The two vital tools to make a Hi-Lift work are 1. can of WD-40 and 2. lock blade knife to help the pins along.

The biggest problem with injuries is that folks think that they are going to get hurt by the jack spitting out from under the truck, or the truck coming down on them. It's usually the handle that causes the injury, and so they never see it coming (literally and figuratively). Factors include jammed mechanism, not keeping the mechanism set in the 'climb' position when not actively lowering, not keeping the handle stowed parallel to the jack rail when not actively climbing / lowering, putting your body / face / fingers / etc between the handle and the rail.

The Hi-Lift is a great tool and I've made use of them many times. I'm fortunate that I had some good training from more experienced companions and professionals (like Bill Burke) who stopped me from learning the hard way.

bigjeepthing

I've used a Hi Lift many times especially to reseat tire beads and change tires. The trick is to carry a piece of chain and hook it between the axle and frame. That way you only have to lift it 6-7 inches and keeps the truck stable. Unfortunately you cant teach common sense.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Bottom line is that its useful but it bites people bad all the time. My trick is to keep the novice at bay and pull mine out and use it in the driveway for fun every once in a while. When I need it at night, in the rain and on a hill with a bunch of wannabe helpers around the extra time spent "playing" with mine comes in handy. Same with a winch. Use these tools in fun safe places once in a while so when you need it in adverse conditions you are in a better position to do it right/safe.

DarinM

Explorer
Never used my winch for anything yet. I grew up on a farm and have been using Hi-lifts for 30 years for various things - stretching fence, lifting buildings, you name it. I've fortunately never been bitten by one, but some of our Arizona members may remember a couple suspicious dents in my ZR2 Blazer I used to have. A valuable learning lesson about jack placement under the sliders - and it took me a couple times to learn it.

The jack I have now was recovered out of an old barn. I tore it down, cleaned it, and rebuilt it with the official Hi-Lift rebuild kit. Rattle can paint job and it looks and works as good as new. Even with my winch, I'm not going out anywhere in the boonies without my Hi-Lift. It's just as important as the rest of the tools I throw in my Jeep before heading out.

Quill

Adventurer
My advice would be to watch the linked video, then practice at home. Their safety instruction are better than anything out there. The accessories would be well worth the money for a beginner. Never forget to chock wheels and keep your face out of the way. If you are scared to use it then don't. Work with someone who can help your confidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier